Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Q: How's your knees?
A: They got hit a bit
Statement : Knees aren't an issue - the issue is you've been sucked into believing you are too old to play, you've lost your confidence and your skills...

whoever let this footage out for public consumption is an imbecile.
Or, there's more to it, and the thing there is they want a gritty(tm), realistic(tm) documentary on the "real" AFL.

Or, there's more to it, and the thing there is they want a gritty(tm), realistic(tm) documentary on the "real" AFL.

I would hope that there is more to it - but my view still stands - nothing good about this footage - nothing.

I would hope that there is more to it - but my view still stands - nothing good about this footage - nothing.
Unless they believe it will motivate him.

Will get plenty of reminders about it from other teams during the year.

Unless they believe it will motivate him.

Will get plenty of reminders about it from other teams during the year.

Yep it is a real stretch coming up with ANY positive spin innit?

How does being called a person who is "sucked in" on some for public consumption footage - going to be 'motivating' ?

meh - I've said enough.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

How does being called a person who is "sucked in" on some for public consumption footage - going to be 'motivating' ?

meh - I've said enough.
Nah. You'll keep on thinking what you're thinking, better to get it out. Makes sense.

Ricky Mott

Team Captain
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I really don't like marketing dressed as documentary.

That said, it certainly puts paid to the notion put forth on other parts of this board that Russell doesn't know what he's doing with Cripps, or that our players aren't being challenged behind the scenes.
Russell should stay in his lane. He’s not the coach. Get Eddie’s body right and let the coaches do the rest.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Without watching the full discussion, I interpreted it as him being sucked into thinking he needed to keep being "Eddie Betts" when maybe he needs to shut that external noise out and look at what role he is best suited to now.

Still fit enough and capable of playing at the highest level, but his game might need to be adapted a bit, a few of the tricks put away in favour of percentage team plays.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Oct 15, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, OKC Thunder
Russell should stay in his lane. He’s not the coach. Get Eddie’s body right and let the coaches do the rest.
The mental side of the game is very much in his remit, many of his former charges have also made mention of how good he is at this

That said, I’m not sure he hit the mark in this particular instance...

Without watching the full discussion, I interpreted it as him being sucked into thinking he needed to keep being "Eddie Betts" when maybe he needs to shut that external noise out and look at what role he is best suited to now.

Still fit enough and capable of playing at the highest level, but his game might need to be adapted a bit, a few of the tricks put away in favour of percentage team plays.

I interpreted it as being sucked in to the idea that he was too old and not as good as he once was. It ruined his confidence and affected his ball handling. It's a positive to tell him not to believe that stuff and that his age has nothing to do with his form.

If Eddie believes he can do it, Eddie does it.

Ricky, did you lose that number?

meh - I've said enough.

I'm with you.

Macca43

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton

That was my take from the media reports, you aren’t too old, you are still good enough, you just have to get out of your own head and get that swagger back. Simply put you are Eddie f..king Betts , the best small forward in the game, and don‘t let anyone tell you otherwise.

Can‘t see a downside In releasing the footage.

jezzatigerbrent

Team Captain
Aug 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Russell was there in the exit meeting for a reason [in order to give feedback ] and when I don't see any coaches there then presumably to give this sort of feedback .. I have no doubt Russell was given full licence to deliver the message to Betts

Macca43

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Russell was there in the exit meeting for a reason [in order to give feedback ] and when I don't see any coaches there then presumably to give this sort of feedback .. I have no doubt Russell was given full licence to deliver the message to Betts
And looking after “high performance “ extends beyond the physical. No pint turning Betts into the fittest 34 yo in history if his mind doesn’t let him utilise it.

My Hat

All Australian
Aug 18, 2018
My head
AFL Club
Carlton
Good to see Russell doing his job and thinking about the whole player. I'm sure it doesn't end with issuing the challenge, but he and his team will work with each player on whatever their focus areas are -- here's how to avoid getting sucked in, etc.

Good to see that Eddie is secure enough to show a bit of vulnerability in public like this. Just makes me respect him more.

It's a short clip, and the headline is clearly trying to amp it up ('anxious', 'brutal', etc), but I have little doubt that in context it'll just be one facet of a show that gives a much more rounded picture of Eddie and his year. Have to say I'm looking forward to it.

Healer

Club Legend
Apr 16, 2018
Timboon
AFL Club
Carlton
Bit of tough love and grounding is exactly what some high performers require to channel and motivate them.
Especially when they are transitioning through the sunset of their careers.
Aside from the fact that last year presented an extraordinary set of circumstances for players and teams to navigate.
Might well expect that Eddie bounces back big time in 2021.
Go Eddie, own the pockets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back