Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Jezz

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2007
collingwood
AFL Club
Carlton
Well done Russell for giving Eddie a bake. Very heartening to know there is some "grunt" at our football club. Overlay that with Clarkson's examples of singling out weak efforts, shirkers and lairizing on the Dylan Buckley podcast - you know it is a key ingredient of success

Dec 18, 2005
Barstow, Cal14nia
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
GAVROI MOUNIA... GAMW TON PIRAEA
I’ve often thought at times that there has been a sense of “the emperor’s new clothes syndrome” when it comes to AR and our supporter base.

But I like his position in that video and I respect him for calling it out in such a direct manner.

Last edited:

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
Well done Russell for giving Eddie a bake. Very heartening to know there is some "grunt" at our football club. Overlay that with Clarkson's examples of singling out weak efforts, shirkers and lairizing on the Dylan Buckley podcast - you know it is a key ingredient of success
Not sure if it qualifies as a bake, just honest feedback.

new_blue

Team Captain
Aug 19, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Not sure if it qualifies as a bake, just honest feedback.

I really enjoyed watching that vision.

Gives me confidence that we’re asking the right questions and really challenging players to be the best they can. These guys are professional athletes and we only have limited space in our salary cap/playing list. We can’t be carrying players so need to ask these difficult question to ensure we’re getting the most out of them. The club should then support them individually to help get them back on track.

Nothing Russel said was inappropriate. Clubs/players are all about honest and direct feedback these days. Eddie and the rest of the playing group would have been challenged by the coaches in varied ways over the course of year, probably in a lot more confrontational manner than what we saw in that vision.

I’m also no expert on how these exit meetings go, but assume there would have also been another meeting with the coaches, list manager, etc.

Dec 18, 2005
Barstow, Cal14nia
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
GAVROI MOUNIA... GAMW TON PIRAEA
I really enjoyed watching that vision.

Gives me confidence that we’re asking the right questions and really challenging players to be the best they can. These guys are professional athletes and we only have limited space in our salary cap/playing list. We can’t be carrying players so need to ask these difficult question to ensure we’re getting the most out of them. The club should then support them individually to help get them back on track.

Nothing Russel said was inappropriate. Clubs/players are all about honest and direct feedback these days. Eddie and the rest of the playing group would have been challenged by the coaches in varied ways over the course of year, probably in a lot more confrontational manner than what we saw in that vision.

I’m also no expert on how these exit meetings go, but assume there would have also been another meeting with the coaches, list manager, etc.

The cynic in me can't help but think that it was also partly staged.

... you know, like the moon landing. :moustache:

1613595685954.png

Good to see Russell doing his job and thinking about the whole player. I'm sure it doesn't end with issuing the challenge, but he and his team will work with each player on whatever their focus areas are -- here's how to avoid getting sucked in, etc.

Good to see that Eddie is secure enough to show a bit of vulnerability in public like this. Just makes me respect him more.

It's a short clip, and the headline is clearly trying to amp it up ('anxious', 'brutal', etc), but I have little doubt that in context it'll just be one facet of a show that gives a much more rounded picture of Eddie and his year. Have to say I'm looking forward to it.
Outstanding post, Hatman Slim. :thumbsu:

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
I interpreted it as being sucked in to the idea that he was too old and not as good as he once was. It ruined his confidence and affected his ball handling. It's a positive to tell him not to believe that stuff and that his age has nothing to do with his form.

If Eddie believes he can do it, Eddie does it.
That's how I interpreted it also. It was more positive than what people are saying.

I don't know why people are so surprised by this? These sorts of firm conversations would be happening all the time, I highly doubt this was played up for the camera, and if it was I'm not sure Russell is the man for the job. If he's going to play up just because a camera is in the room I'm not sure he has the integrity to do the job. But I don't believe he did and I'm sure there were plenty of other robust conversations between Russel and others on the list.

Probably several far stronger than Eddies...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back