Status
Not open for further replies.

GenYBlue

Seeking #17
May 31, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Mark Williams is good example, doing quite well at Melbourne and getting a lot of credit for their good form.
If we could somehow manufacture it, I think Ross would a fantastic mentor for Teague in a similar role.

That being said, if we can just have a clean out of our ineffective assistants, that might be equally effective.

I just recall how much better Bolton was as a coach with Neil Craig onside... the wheels really fell off after he resigned.

teague speaks positively - the arrogance of the bloke
teague speaks negatively - he never should have said that

fmd

That's a little simplistic.

Lace_Out

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Perhaps the Woosha appointment is rushed/temporary PR move because we're planning on letting Ross fill that position fulltime next season once his media commitments are fulfilled?

Speculation for sure, but it makes sense to me.
Even though it's SOS's close mate, who the club pushed out?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Problem is, he's 'linked in', as he himself has said. He has connections to SOS, and might have a few more we don't know about behind the scenes. It's fairly well known that he wouldn't mind coaching again.

I don't mind the idea of that appointment, but I really do not want to give the factions an in-house opportunity to undermine Teague any more than they already have. If things go awry and he's in the coaches box, it makes it the simplest thing in the world to turf Teague for Lyon.

It’s a fair assessment, but how long can Teague be worried about who’s waiting in the wings? I really hope the club seeks the best candidates for these roles, regardless of how it might look or make someone feel. If Teague is good enough, the tide will turn and results will change.

I think Ross would be a really good mentor and senior assistant to Teague, like the ying to his yang, we are seriously lacking in areas that Ross was famous for

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Just watched the teague presser -- he said when you take out those older players you often lose that winning culture -- our older players would have as bad a win loss record as any players in AFL history .. but making guys earn games I'm not against - but he keeps going on about our defence but keeps playing the same culprits .. I thought we finished the year last years badly and put it down to COVID hub we had a lot of quarantine - maybe it deeper than that.

Think you've misheard or misinterpreted.

He didn't say taking out older players loses the winning culture, he said we've given a lot of young blokes games which can lose the winning culture. They're different things.

We spent the best part of three seasons playing a team of kids and stopgaps, and telling the world that we weren't focused on wins/losses but on development. That was three seasons developing kids by giving them games they probably didn't deserve yet, playing them through poor form, and creating an environment where they didn't have to perform well to be assured of a spot. And they were surrounded by blokes who knew they were lucky to be on a list and probably wouldn't be in 12-24 months, and who were therefore happy to take a paycheck without any real expectation of performance.

In hindsight, that's a surefire way to kill, or at least delay the development of, a winning culture.

Last edited:

Jimmyonesix

Premiership Player
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Think you'eve misheard or misinterpreted.

He didn't say taking out older players loses the winning culture, he said we've given a lot of young blokes games which can lose the winning culture. They're different things.

We spent the best part of three seasons playing a team of kids and stopgaps, and telling the world that we weren't focused on wins/losses but on development. That was three seasons developing kids by giving them games they probably didn't deserve yet, playing them through poor form, and creating an environment where they didn't have to perform well to be assured of a spot. And they were surrounded by blokes who knew they were lucky to be on a list and probably wouldn't be in 12-24 months, and who were therefore happy to take a paycheck without any real expectation of performance.

In hindsight, that's a surefire way to kill, or at least delay the development of, a winning culture.
Fully agree - problem we have is the list old and young have never experienced winning on a regular basis -- so maybe training a winning VFL side is a good start for the new players

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Fully agree - problem we have is the list old and young have never experienced winning on a regular basis -- so maybe training a winning VFL side is a good start for the new players
Agreed, I think this is the point most are making.

Keeping those old heads in isn't really helping the winning culture and may be hampering it, so using it as an excuse for not playing the kids is a bit lame.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Agreed, I think this is the point most are making.

Keeping those old heads in isn't really helping the winning culture and may be hampering it, so using it as an excuse for not playing the kids is a bit lame.

You're looking at it the wrong way - it's not about the old blokes, forget them, it's about setting the right expectations for the kids.

Any young player who is saying "But I had more touches than Murph!" needs to be given a clip over the ear. They need to ignore what other blokes are doing and focus on improving in the areas the coaches are demanding of them. Control what you can control, and anything you can't isn't worth worrying about.

Push the kids hard in the reserves and select them when their performance demands it, not just to replace someone in the seniors who we're frustrated with.

To do otherwise is to repeat the mistakes of the past.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
You're looking at it the wrong way - it's not about the old blokes, forget them, it's about setting the right expectations for the kids.

Any young player who is saying "But I had more touches than Murph!" needs to be given a clip over the ear. They need to ignore what other blokes are doing and focus on improving in the areas the coaches are demanding of them. Control what you can control, and anything you can't isn't worth worrying about.

Push the kids hard in the reserves and select them when their performance demands it, not just to replace someone in the seniors who we're frustrated with.

To do otherwise is to repeat the mistakes of the past.
Ok, ignoring that they're old blokes. It's hard for a young player, or anyone for that matter, to be told you need to do xyz before being picked and then have someone in the team not doing those specific things. It's only made worse when that person is a senior player and mentor to the young guys.

Selection integrity only works if everyone is held to the same standard. When that's not the case the "driving a winning culture" mentality falls apart.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Ok, ignoring that they're old blokes. It's hard for a young player, or anyone for that matter, to be told you need to do xyz before being picked and then have someone in the team not doing those specific things. It's only made worse when that person is a senior player and mentor to the young guys.

Selection integrity only works if everyone is held to the same standard. When that's not the case the "driving a winning culture" mentality falls apart.

Again - any young player who is saying "But I had more touches than Murph!" needs to be given a clip over the ear. They need to ignore what other blokes are doing and focus on improving in the areas the coaches are demanding of them. Control what you can control, and anything you can't isn't worth worrying about.

It might be hard, but that doesn't matter. Developing players need to be told again and again not to compare themselves to anyone. Their focus needs to be on getting the most out of themselves, and when they're considered ready their chance will come.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Again - any young player who is saying "But I had more touches than Murph!" needs to be given a clip over the ear. They need to ignore what other blokes are doing and focus on improving in the areas the coaches are demanding of them. Control what you can control, and anything you can't isn't worth worrying about.

It might be hard, but that doesn't matter. Developing players need to be told again and again not to compare themselves to anyone. Their focus needs to be on getting the most out of themselves, and when they're considered ready their chance will come.
I don't think that works in the real world. It's not how humans work.

Not sure that anybody is comparing touches with Murphy. If anything, it would be workrate and defensive running.

Oct 4, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton

That's a cop out.

Why aren't the coaches making these demands about improving to the older blokes?

Murphy's playing like a guy who is desperately trying to avoid an injury.

Betts is past it.

You won't be convincing me that Honey isn't ready for a shot based on his 1 game in and out last year.

You will get your wish though.... no way Betts, Levi or Murphy will ever get dropped. They either retire or get injured to miss games.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
That's a cop out.

Why aren't the coaches making these demands about improving to the older blokes?

Murphy's playing like a guy who is desperately trying to avoid an injury.

Betts is past it.

You won't be convincing me that Honey isn't ready for a shot based on his 1 game in and out last year.

You will get your wish though.... no way Betts, Levi or Murphy will ever get dropped. They either retire or get injured to miss games.

Sod off mate, it's not my wish that these guys never get dropped, I'd love it if they did provided it's happening because the young blokes behind them are ready.

As I said earlier, maybe they are ready now, you and I aren't really in a position to judge that though, are we. I'm happy to trust that power and O'Keefe are finally giving us some proper, tailored, targeted development work at the lower level and that if they feel players still need to improve in certain areas that we respect that.

Let Murph play a role for a bit longer if it means these blokes are finally getting developed properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back