Rumour Carlton is the ‘frontrunner’ to acquire Giants gun Josh Kelly if he decides to leave GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree and think North is a monty to land him IF he leaves, this thread title is misleading and it will be interesting to see what sort of deal GWS accept for him from you guys.

Our first rounder this year and Goldy, or whatever we get for Goldy which should be in the 15 - 20 range I reckon.

I suspect we will be in full play the kids mode second half of the season so we can actually play the kids but also ensure a pick high enough to get GWS sweet.

Our first rounder this year and Goldy, or whatever we get for Goldy which should be in the 15 - 20 range I reckon.

I suspect we will be in full play the kids mode second half of the season so we can actually play the kids but also ensure a pick high enough to get GWS sweet.
delusions.png

Hmmm maybe, but i would be shocked if North let Goldy go honestly and he is only 29 with 4+ years of decent footy still in him but his body could be the big issue regarding other clubs giving up a lot for him.

GWS are also set in the ruck stocks so i doubt they take him as apart of the deal but what you suggested is not far off i reckon.

If he was re-signing, he would have done it by now.

There'll be no actual news on this til October. At which point he announces he wants to play with us. Then we have to get a deal done with GWS.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I just think a premiership/no premiership could potentially be a huge factor in his decision-making process.

Let's assume you're right and he's strongly considering North. There are zero guarantees he'll ever win a flag at North. Of course, he may well do, and the addition of Kelly to any team makes them somewhat more likely to at least have a chance to win a flag. But at GWS - whilst I don't agree with the inevitability of winning flags like so many seem to think - he's far more likely to, at least in the short-term. I think that's inarguable.

Therefore, if GWS win the flag this year, he can say right, been there, done that, I'm a Premiership player, now I can take on a new challenge and help North (or whoever) to their next promised land.

Conversely, if he doesn't, then he may well decide it's in his best interests to stick around for 2 years and try and collect, knowing full well North (or whoever) will still be just as interested after that - in all likelihood.

If the above were correct, he'd still be negotiating with North (or whoever), exactly as you claim (which I believe by the way), to agree to terms should he make a final decision to move on.

And none of that even factors in the reality of the collective bargaining agreement, which has only just been concluded in the past day or two - which is a clear and genuine factor in any current contract negotiation, whether or not it is here.

Given that, I think it's a reasonable argument to make that both your main premises, those being that a) if he was going to sign then he would have by now; and b) the fact that his management are sitting down with North; do not sustain the assertion that he's definitely leaving.

I agree that in most cases players would have decided well and truly by now, but I honestly think it's such a big factor that he may in fact be genuinely undecided as to what he's doing, and I would like to know why you would dismiss the scenario I've painted so out of hand

Last edited:
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I just think a premiership/no premiership could potentially be a huge factor in his decision-making process.

Let's assume you're right and he's strongly considering North. There are zero guarantees he'll ever win a flag at North. Of course, he may well do, and the addition of Kelly to any team makes them somewhat more likely to at least have a chance to win a flag. But at GWS - whilst I don't agree with the inevitability of winning flags like so many seem to think - he's far more likely to, at least in the short-term. I think that's inarguable.

Therefore, if GWS win the flag this year, he can say right, been there, done that, I'm a Premiership player, now I can take on a new challenge and help North (or whoever) to their next promised land.

Conversely, if he doesn't, then he may well decide it's in his best interests to stick around for 2 years and try and collect, knowing full well North (or whoever) will still be just as interested after that - in all likelihood.

If the above were correct, he'd still be negotiating with North (or whoever), exactly as you claim (which I believe by the way), to agree to terms should he make a final decision to move on.

Given that, I think it's a reasonable argument to make that both your main premises, those being that a) if he was going to sign then he would have by now; and b) the fact that his management are sitting down with North; do not sustain the assertion that he's definitely leaving.

I agree that in most cases players would have decided well and truly by now, but I honestly think it's such a big factor that he may in fact be genuinely undecided as to what he's doing, and I would like to know why you would dismiss the scenario I've painted so out of hand

It is such a big deal that it is one that won't be left hanging til the end of the year.

IMO, his decision will be made imminently. Either way.

He could very well get the best of both worlds. Take the huge contract to come home, and do that as a Premiership player this year.

Picks 2 & 19 this season will do it.

Pick 2???

From where and are you expecting a full on tank from North in the 2nd half of the season so you can get it and give to GWS when/IF you guys finish 2nd last?

Pick 2???

From where and are you expecting a full on tank from North in the 2nd half of the season so you can get it and give to GWS when/IF you guys finish 2nd last?

Hey buddy, are you aware we have pick 3 as things currently stand?

Did you watch the Carlton match?

Have you watched us play the last 2 weeks?

Hey buddy, are you aware we have pick 3 as things currently stand?

Did you watch the Carlton match?

Have you watched us play the last 2 weeks?

So in other words Yes we are in tank mode to finish as low as we can!

North are better than that currently IMO. But i don't mind cause i had a bet with a North supporting mate before the season started that the Blues would be higher on the ladder than North at the end of the H&A season!

So in other words Yes we are in tank mode to finish as low as we can!

1500 games of experience exited the club in one whack, and another 400 games of experience has been playing in the seconds.

Call it "tank" if you like. I couldn't care less.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I Hope Kelly stays and I have no idea yet if he will or not.If he goes obviously the key factor will be what club he chooses.I think we would be happiest though if he chose the Roos and we then asked for Preuss and a draft pick .With Mummy ageing and Downie retiring he's the player we need.

I can't see draft picks been the key factor in the trade if he decides to leave.With all of Hopper,Kennedy,Smith and Himmelburg all still unsigned I think we will get back into the first round anyway.

I Hope Kelly stays and I have no idea yet if he will or not.If he goes obviously the key factor will be what club he chooses.I think we would be happiest though if he chose the Roos and we then asked for Preuss and a draft pick .

Pick 2 & Preuss.

DONE!

tarhammer.gif

Woodson you hearing this! :D :p

We've already discussed (read: mentioned) this.. still there are some 'winnable games' to come. The AFL worm is still to squirm n ' wiggle many more times as you already know from previous 'early celebrations' that you can't be thinking it's a slam dunk guarantee like I would of liked to have believed a month ago. :p Btw.. two more HOF NORTH players celebrated last night who I got to see play back in the day, each and every week. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Hmmm maybe, but i would be shocked if North let Goldy go honestly and he is only 29 with 4+ years of decent footy still in him but his body could be the big issue regarding other clubs giving up a lot for him.

GWS are also set in the ruck stocks so i doubt they take him as apart of the deal but what you suggested is not far off i reckon.

The RUCK are becoming redundant nowadays. Tap outs are a lottery with getting any real advantage. Plus you don't get many contested marks around the ground anymore. I'd rather have a mid sized running player who doesn't butcher the ball like say… our current and previous captain/s instead of rucks who don't influence games.

Would GWS be able to accommodate Goldy's lucrative contract if indeed they were interested in him as part of any deal ?

Mumford and Goldy roughly the same age ?
If Kelly leaves the $$$ would be used to keep Hopper Smith Kennedy etc ?

goldy 2 years younger. mumford is up and down. some weeks he's ok and others he gets exposed. I reckon the end will come quick for him. goldy, fit, is an upgrade.

its been reported gws offered Kelly 800k. they might stretch it a little with the new cba to keep him for a couple more. he's a class above kennedy, hopper, smith.

if you're Kelly what do you do? take less for a couple of years with a serious crack at a flag or head south on good coin to teams (north / carlton) who have a bit to do to get into a flag window.

goldy 2 years younger. mumford is up and down. some weeks he's ok and others he gets exposed. I reckon the end will come quick for him. goldy, fit, is an upgrade.

its been reported gws offered Kelly 800k. they might stretch it a little with the new cba to keep him for a couple more. he's a class above kennedy, hopper, smith.

if you're Kelly what do you do? take less for a couple of years with a serious crack at a flag or head south on good coin to teams (north / carlton) who have a bit to do to get into a flag window.

Unless he just wants to get back to Melbourne full stop , you would think 2 more years on pretty good coin at the Giants should give him a decent chance of netting a premiership .
Then if he wishes , it's back to Melbourne and the club of his choice who will have the cheque book ready and waiting .
Not convinced the Giants would be keen on Goldy all things considered .

Kelly could head south on good coin right now AND get a Premiership this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back