Carlton Issued With Pls Explain Over Cheer Squad Chant

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Complete and utter strawman.
Since when is wanting genuine abuse (such as Daisy incident and having an entire cheer squad call umpires "w***ers") wanting a crowd to be silenced? There is no place in this game for any abuse whatsoever.

Imagine I'd said "racial abuse" instead of "umpire abuse". That "So you want a silent crowd." comment seems awfully repugnant.
You talk about straw mans and then bring up racial abuse. WTF.

There’s plenty of place in the game for telling the umpires they’re doing a bad job. Always has been.

You going to ban abuse against players too? They’re humans as well after all.

Why? The umpires, contrary to popular belief, don't make the rules up as they go. There is a body that controls how our game is played and what rules umpires must enforce and that body is the AFL.

Lol gf

Your inept comment claiming we didn’t get reemed during Anzac Day and against Sydney clearly shows your out of touch why people are booing these idiots. Don’t quote me again, not interested in getting a wasted alert.

You talk about straw mans and then bring up racial abuse. WTF.
You clearly don't know what strawmannning an argument means.
I didn't claim you were arguing a point you weren't arguing, I presented a hypothetical, creating an alternative perspective to your original reply.

There’s plenty of place in the game for telling the umpires they’re doing a bad job. Always has been.
I think you're mistaken (which makes sense if you haven't read what I've been saying at all), I'm talking about umpire abuse, such as organising cheer squad chants and calling boundary umpires cheats. This is completely separate from disagreeing with umpire decisions ("That was holding the ****ing ball ump!), this is mostly harmless unless it takes the next step and materialises in to something like I mentioned just previously.

Lol gf

Your inept comment claiming we didn’t get reemed during Anzac Day and against Sydney clearly shows your out of touch why people are booing these idiots. Don’t quote me again, not interested in getting a wasted alert.
:$:$:$

Seems hardly called for, my comment was barely controversial and that fact that you cannot get over it shows how out-of-touch you are with your bias getting in the way of your ability to perceive reality and produce a rational reply to my original statement that abuse isn't okay.

Underdog

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
It's simple, you are a bitch if you think this deserves a 'please explain'
Funnily enough, the alledged chant does actually contravene Carlton's own Cheersquad Code of Conduct https://membership.carltonfc.com.au/pdf/cheersquad-code-conduct

I agree that the average punter is entitled to have a bit of banter at the umpire's expense, but the Cheersquad actually does represent Carlton in an official capacity. I'd expect the same if a trainer or physio was heard making disparaging remarks towards the umpires.

Call it what you will, but Carlton make it very clear what the expected behaviour is of these fans as representatives of the club.

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Funnily enough, the alledged chant does actually contravene Carlton's own Cheersquad Code of Conduct https://membership.carltonfc.com.au/pdf/cheersquad-code-conduct

I agree that the average punter is entitled to have a bit of banter at the umpire's expense, but the Cheersquad actually does represent Carlton in an official capacity. I'd expect the same if a trainer or physio was heard making disparaging remarks towards the umpires.

Call it what you will, but Carlton make it very clear what the expected behaviour is of these fans as representatives of the club.
What's Carltons free kick differential this year? If they are on the negative side I can understand their frustration completely.

Sides getting 100-200+ more frees for over a season, and sometimes 2-3x more frees in a game, in a game as random as footy, is ludicrous.

Runs of 5-10 frees in a row is more probable but still unlikely and usually plants the seed for ump hatred that may boil over later in a match.

AFL needs to work harder to remove unconscious biases in AFL umpiring.

What's Carltons free kick differential this year? If they are on the negative side I can understand their frustration completely.

Sides getting 100-200+ more frees for over a season, and sometimes 2-3x more frees in a game, in a game as random as footy, is ludicrous.

Runs of 5-10 frees in a row is more probable but still unlikely and usually plants the seed for ump hatred that may boil over later in a match.

This instance was from the Pies game where it was 8-24 and there were some very clear errors.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Good. The disrespect umpires get is ridiculous and flows-on to all sports at grassroots level. Pretty sure there was a story a couple of weeks back of an adult abusing a junior umpire during/after a match. These are the people we hope will be umpiring our elite-level sport in 10-20+ years time. I hope the same people constantly complaining about “umpiring standards” are happy to keep quiet about it in 20 years time when there are no umpires left. Seriously, why would someone want to get into/continue umpiring when they know they’re in for a career of getting scolded every week?

And no, I’m no angel and have had my share of frustration towards umpiring decisions (both as a player and supporter) but have certainly made an effort to change my attitude in the last few years.

Yes, im sure that man who abused the umpire did it because some people yell at the umpires at the AFL. Or maybe some people are just idiots. But yes, lets ban all negative talk towards umpires

the view

Debutant
Oct 4, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
AFL , why do you mind your own Fxxking business and try and run with the real issues , we pay to go to the footy
so we can cheer and boo who we like , next we cant cheer for our team because it offends the Opposition supporters
this bullshit has to stop or it will turn supporters away from footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 9, 2007
The honorable loss factory
AFL Club
Carlton

it was 24-8 collingwood's way with the game decided in the last 10 minutes, including some blatant non-calls.

don't blame collingwood and I don't support the umpire abuse but it was a shocking performance of umpiring.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Good. The disrespect umpires get is ridiculous and flows-on to all sports at grassroots level. Pretty sure there was a story a couple of weeks back of an adult abusing a junior umpire during/after a match. These are the people we hope will be umpiring our elite-level sport in 10-20+ years time. I hope the same people constantly complaining about “umpiring standards” are happy to keep quiet about it in 20 years time when there are no umpires left. Seriously, why would someone want to get into/continue umpiring when they know they’re in for a career of getting scolded every week?

And no, I’m no angel and have had my share of frustration towards umpiring decisions (both as a player and supporter) but have certainly made an effort to change my attitude in the last few years.

If you get to the end of the game without having to open the Record to see which clown is being incompetent, they've done a good job.

Crowd reaction is only ever that, a reaction. People go to watch the game, not to look for umpiring mistakes.

Lift the standard and stop changing the rules and interpretations for the worse. It's up to the AFL to address the problem, not the symptoms.

gavaniacono

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
Hanoi
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wolverhampton Wanderers
I think the Richmond cheer squad should be issued with a please explain for that horrific chant that they persist with 'let's go tigers let's go, clap, clap, let's go tigers let's go clap, clap'.
Though never affected with the clap, I find that very offensive on behalf of all who have been affected.

Bound For Rory

Team Captain
Apr 14, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Good luck.

Hate slobbo but he made a good point on 360. The more people get told to stop stuff like this, the more itll happen.

With the Thomas one. A bit unlucky. He didnt know the umpires are instructed to warn teams of 6-6-6 penalties.

I think its utter bullshit that the umpires can tell the team that (and apparently are supposed to), especially after a warning has already been given.

Coach_Required

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool & Boston Celtics
Simple, don't abuse umpires who are just performing their job to that degree and you wont get fined.
Must run in the Carlton blood like how Daisy got fined for calling the boundary umpire a cheat. Really? How low do you have to be to say that to a bloke who just throws the ball back into play and has control over 1% of decisions in games.

LOL I'm hoping your just taking the piss, but I need to ask .. have you ever been to a Collingwood game live in your life?

LOL I'm hoping your just taking the piss, but I need to ask .. have you ever been to a Collingwood game live in your life?
Addressed in multiple previous posts. Since when did I say this wasn't an issue at Collingwood matches, let alone other teams as well?
TLDR; Generally disagreeing with decisions is fine and harmless (even booing is fine), but organising entire cheer squad chants calling umpires w***ers and directly telling boundary umpires that they're cheats is simply not on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back