Roast Carlton Junior Clinic 2.7.12 - Shambles! 8.4.13 - Fantastic!

Remove this Banner Ad

Did Davies swear repeatedly? If he did, that is an issue. If he swore once, stupidly, and did not do so again then sure, it's regrettable, but not a hanging offence is it? I'm not suggesting he did the right thing, clearly it was stupid. If I was a parent I wouldn't exactly be happy with it either, but I'm hardly going to form a negative opinion on Marcus Davies based on the one incident.

Good on him for actually going to the clinic. The club should be held to a higher standard organising such a shambolic event than the players actually trying to do the right thing.

I doubt a kid is going to go home saying "**** off" every 5 seconds because some half-back flanker they probably have never even heard of said it once.
What about the 'c' word, Jono? Is that ok? What is ok? Bloke also said Betts cacked himself which is a great look and clearly collusive.

Oh lawdy.

None of it is "OK" Thy, Davies should have known better. I'm just surprised there are so many self-righteous parents out there who believe their kids need to have their ears lined with velvet every second.

If anyone can say they haven't sworn within ear shot of a kid then they're kidding themselves.

It's funny just how the tone of such gatherings can go downhill with just one adult swearing.
Never goes down well at a kids party either, I can tell you.

I've been to many a training session where the swear words go flying, but in context it just doesn't seem like such a big deal.
A kids gathering though?

Anyway, no harm done and I'm sure Davies didn't join in with the intention of putting a downer on the occasion and good on all the guys that front up and wish to connect with their fans.
Davies included.

Oh lawdy.

None of it is "OK" Thy, Davies should have known better. I'm just surprised there are so many self-righteous parents out there who believe their kids need to have their ears lined with velvet every second.

If anyone can say they haven't sworn within ear shot of a kid then they're kidding themselves.
Eventually you decide Davies should have known better. Pretty straight-forward stuff.

Shame that Judd forgot to keep the rain away.

Not a lot the club could have done. Disappointing, but both ovals would have been underwater. The logistics of having a 1,000 people being shown through the club would be a nightmare to organise.
They could have had a better backup plan from the sounds of it.

I took my 7 year old daughter to the clinic this morning, and while disappointed that she didn't get on the ground, she still had a great time. We were lucky enough to have Frazer Dale sit with us and although I'm not sure she knew who he was, he was absolutely lovely and spent a good deal talking to both of us. Once the clinic finished I took her for lunch and came back to do a bit of shopping in the Carlton Shop and the second clinic was about to start. They had set this up on the grounds next to Visy Park. I was told by the officials that my daughter was more than welcome to join in, but she had had enough by then and chose to play in the playground instead. It would have been good to have been able to do this in the earlier session, but clearly they were unsure of the weather - who knows!!!

Did Davies swear repeatedly? If he did, that is an issue. If he swore once, stupidly, and did not do so again then sure, it's regrettable, but not a hanging offence is it? I'm not suggesting he did the right thing, clearly it was stupid. If I was a parent I wouldn't exactly be happy with it either, but I'm hardly going to form a negative opinion on Marcus Davies based on the one incident.

Good on him for actually going to the clinic. The club should be held to a higher standard organising such a shambolic event than the players actually trying to do the right thing.

I doubt a kid is going to go home saying "**** off" every 5 seconds because some half-back flanker they probably have never even heard of said it once.
If we've got to start handing out kudos to players for attending kids' clinics, we've got bigger problems than I thought.

In defence of Davies, I should clarify that once he said it you could see him wanting to dig a hole for him to hide in. Most parents around tried to play it down by joking it off and I'm pretty sure it accidentally slipped out from Davies.

And to those criticising Betts for laughing, Eddie was unbelievable with the kids today. Went out of his way to erase some of their disappointment.

In reference to an earlier post about not much the club can do when it is so wet, well yes they can:
- I know parents that took the day off to bring their kids to a 'clinic' or drove 2.5 hours to get there. I tried calling the club and repeatedly looked on the website to see any update on the morning (before 9am) but nothing! All the kids in attendance were Captain Club members - how about an email or sms
- While it was a bit of a thrill for some kids who got to sit next to a player (20 kids out of 500), for the rest it was a miserable waste of time. My son chose to go to the clinic rather than go away with his cousins for a couple of days and he was livid
- Clinic held on July 2nd (smack bang in the middle of winter) - surely the club could anticipate the possibility of rain and have a contingency plan.

To top the day off, I went to the Carlton Cafe afterwards and they stuffed up my coffee order. Can things at this club get any worse!

Still love the club and can't wait to see them run out this Friday.

Go Baggers!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got us. :(

Thylacine Walker
General Watson
Sherb Robinson

Heard a rumor that Guns could be any WA born and bred player depending on the day of the week.

In defence of Davies, I should clarify that once he said it you could see him wanting to dig a hole for him to hide in. Most parents around tried to play it down by joking it off and I'm pretty sure it accidentally slipped out from Davies.

And to those criticising Betts for laughing, Eddie was unbelievable with the kids today. Went out of his way to erase some of their disappointment.

In reference to an earlier post about not much the club can do when it is so wet, well yes they can:
- I know parents that took the day off to bring their kids to a 'clinic' or drove 2.5 hours to get there. I tried calling the club and repeatedly looked on the website to see any update on the morning (before 9am) but nothing! All the kids in attendance were Captain Club members - how about an email or sms
- While it was a bit of a thrill for some kids who got to sit next to a player (20 kids out of 500), for the rest it was a miserable waste of time. My son chose to go to the clinic rather than go away with his cousins for a couple of days and he was livid
- Clinic held on July 2nd (smack bang in the middle of winter) - surely the club could anticipate the possibility of rain and have a contingency plan.

To top the day off, I went to the Carlton Cafe afterwards and they stuffed up my coffee order. Can things at this club get any worse!

Go Baggers!

Some days nothing goes right.:(

Pretty poor effort from the club from what you have said.:oops:

Wow so many soft touches on this board. If your precious little kids sit anywhere within earshot of me at a game I guarantee theyll hear much worse than what Davies said.

Go Baggers!

Actually It was on the website @ about 8.50am.

Took my son to what was supposed to be a junior clinic at Visy Park today.

Despite the rain earlier in the morning, about 1,000 people there and all the kids were pumped.

Then the disappointment came:
- everyone made to sit in the Legends Stand
- advised that clinic was cancelled due to not being allowed on the ground
- conducted some player interviews with most of them clearly not wanting to be there
- played pass the ball in the stands while seated
- sat in the Legends Stand for about 1 hour in the cold and then had an opportunity for player signatures and photos (about 20 players there)

Why couldn't they have:
- had the clinic on the outside ground
- conducted an organised tour of the change rooms/player facilities
- finished the day near the Carlton Shop so that the club could generate some revenue

Couldn't help but think that there is no way this would happen at the Collingwood FC. Only a minor issue when you compare it to our onfield concerns, but can't help but be bamboozled by our club's lack of professionalism and initiative.

We really struggle with "membership stuff" ... always have.

Disappointing, especially for the kids.

We've got that theatre, the indoor area ... just a tour of the facilities, as you say, would be something.

Wow so many soft touches on this board. If your precious little kids sit anywhere within earshot of me at a game I guarantee theyll hear much worse than what Davies said.
People around you must admire you as some type of hero. I know I would. Foul language at the footy - respect. :thumbsu:

As it's been said, we have a history of being terrible with this in recent years. Can't say I have any personal experience with it but I've heard enough reports.

Not surprised Eddie goes so well with the kiddies, I get the feeling he has a good personality and we know how good he's been with his indiginous teammates too.

You dont have kids do you??

Every parent has a 'dropping the F bomb' type moment with their children. I think everyone with young kids i know has told me of a time when they have accidently done this. Davies showed remorse so he really shouldnt be crucified.

My personal opinion is we are a 'blame everyone else' type society and when things like this come up everyone is up in arms, even though the most important part is what you teach your children, as those lessons are what really matter.

What really annoys me is people at the footy swearing continually when there are little kids around.

How long did the clinic go for?
Surely they could have organized groups to shuffle thru the indoor training area for half an hour or so at a time while the others sat in the stands? I guess they're just not too good at thinking on their feet...but plans were changed for the second round so they did come up with a solution.

As for the Davies incident, a lot of these players are only kids themselves. Just because theyre playing at an elite level doesn't mean they automatically mature overnight. He obviously forgot where he was and it just slipped out. If he showed remorse afterwards then that's all one can expect IMO

Took my son to what was supposed to be a junior clinic at Visy Park today.

Despite the rain earlier in the morning, about 1,000 people there and all the kids were pumped.

Then the disappointment came:
- everyone made to sit in the Legends Stand
- advised that clinic was cancelled due to not being allowed on the ground
- conducted some player interviews with most of them clearly not wanting to be there
- played pass the ball in the stands while seated
- sat in the Legends Stand for about 1 hour in the cold and then had an opportunity for player signatures and photos (about 20 players there)

Why couldn't they have:
- had the clinic on the outside ground
- conducted an organised tour of the change rooms/player facilities
- finished the day near the Carlton Shop so that the club could generate some revenue

Couldn't help but think that there is no way this would happen at the Collingwood FC. Only a minor issue when you compare it to our onfield concerns, but can't help but be bamboozled by our club's lack of professionalism and initiative.

Not surprised and probably sums up the issues Carlton has to deal with. Unprofessional, lack of interest, all about me. Any wonder it is being reflected on the field. The club has a lot of issues to deal with and I suspect that this probably just scratches the surface.

Took my 9 year old to the arvo clinic which was on the outside ground. Hundreds of kids had a ball and the players were terrific with Juddy cracking jokes before and guys like Luke Mitchell, Jarred Waite and Josh Bootsma all getting into it. Boots was asked if he was getting a haircut but declared he would grow it as long as he could. The clinic finished at 3.00pm but players signed just about everything up to 3.30pm. Sad to hear about the morning session.:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back