Opinion Carlton match day radio

• Thread starter blue89
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Would you like a Carlton match broadcast?

• Yeh sounds good

Votes: 41 85.4%
  • No...don’t ever mention it again!

Votes: 7 14.6%

• Total voters

blue89

Draftee
Jul 14, 2017
Not sure if it has been suggested on here before but I was just wanting to get everyone’s opinion on whether or not you think it would be a good idea for the club to broadcast commentary on our games on digital radio.

My suggestion would be a crew of Carlton people commentate on the game each week. Carlton fans may enjoy it as it will be slightly (or completely) biased towards Carlton. Can have a rotating crew from Sam Pang, Andy Maher, Fev, Tegan Higginbotham, Andy Lee, Dave Hughes and others. I’d also throw in some people with actual credibility such as ex players. Could even throw current players under the bus and get them in to commentate.

There will be a bit of a pre game and post game show, all light hearted and hopefully not as over the top as the MMM fools.

I think Collingwood have done this on occasion but I’m hoping this will be a full time thing that can be streamed from your phone at the game.

There would also be the potential to squeeze a couple extra dollars by getting some sponsors on board.

Mar 19, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Broncos
Can't say I'm a fan of it. I gave MMM a crack with the cricket broadcast the other week and listening to Mick Molloy basically barrack for Australia rather than commentate almost made me barrack for England.

It would remind me of going to Subi oval and barracking for the Blues and have Eagle supporters look at you as if you were handing out leprosy.

Cavalicious

Cuts the Oranges
May 14, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Miami Heat
I would listen if it was run by some of the names you mentioned (Sam Pang, Andy Maher, Fev, Tegan Higginbotham, Andy Lee, Dave Hughes and others.)

But would tune off pretty quick if it was run by just supporters.

Would also be great to just get a decent Carlton preview/review weekly podcast.

blue89

Draftee
Jul 14, 2017
Can't say I'm a fan of it. I gave MMM a crack with the cricket broadcast the other week and listening to Mick Molloy basically barrack for Australia rather than commentate almost made me barrack for England.

It would remind me of going to Subi oval and barracking for the Blues and have Eagle supporters look at you as if you were handing out leprosy.
I would honestly rather listen to a line-up of Dwayne Russell, Basil Zemplis and Tony Shaw than a set of deliberately biased supporters putting on an act and trying to to out-bias each other.

I'm sure it would get some sort of smallish audience though.

just my 5c

I agree with these points, i personally wouldn't want it to be some over the top biasedness. the trick would be to get the balance right and would heavily depend on who is commentating. I guess in my head they would complain about any missed 50-50 free kicks, have a few fan favourite players that they look out for and go into each game with the mentality that we have a chance to win all with the odd dig here and there about the other team, but not a constant we are great opposition has no chance throughout the call. Essentially a lot of wit, no so much bogan.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I agree with these points, i personally wouldn't want it to be some over the top biasedness. the trick would be to get the balance right and would heavily depend on who is commentating. I guess in my head they would complain about any missed 50-50 free kicks, have a few fan favourite players that they look out for and go into each game with the mentality that we have a chance to win all with the odd dig here and there about the other team, but not a constant we are great opposition has no chance throughout the call. Essentially a lot of wit, no so much bogan.

No, no,no, no. That is the main thing that is wrong with these kinda biased things. It is largely what makes gameday threads unreadable or untolerable.

As soon as the parameters are set that the audience is one sided, the content becomes cringeworthy imo. Use the Collingwood and Richmond experiments with this as example. Or Fox News on another scale. Imagine after 5 years of 18 sets of footy fans listening to 18 sets of narrow biased calls. It would make general footy discussion very different .

Anyways, i'll leave any further feedback to actual potential listeners of which there will probably be some small dedicated interest. Maybe.

just my 5c

Last edited:

Funk

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 6, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Not sure if it has been suggested on here before but I was just wanting to get everyone’s opinion on whether or not you think it would be a good idea for the club to broadcast commentary on our games on digital radio.

My suggestion would be a crew of Carlton people commentate on the game each week. Carlton fans may enjoy it as it will be slightly (or completely) biased towards Carlton. Can have a rotating crew from Sam Pang, Andy Maher, Fev, Tegan Higginbotham, Andy Lee, Dave Hughes and others. I’d also throw in some people with actual credibility such as ex players. Could even throw current players under the bus and get them in to commentate.

There will be a bit of a pre game and post game show, all light hearted and hopefully not as over the top as the MMM fools.

I think Collingwood have done this on occasion but I’m hoping this will be a full time thing that can be streamed from your phone at the game.

There would also be the potential to squeeze a couple extra dollars by getting some sponsors on board.

After listening to the AFL draft podcast with Jimmae, Arr0w etc I think it would be effin hilarious.

Get serious guys/girls - forget the weekly podcast and do a live commentary of the game.

That I would seriously enjoy.

Davey33

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
I would honestly rather listen to a line-up of Dwayne Russell, Basil Zemplis and Tony Shaw than a set of deliberately biased supporters putting on an act and trying to to out-bias each other.

just my 5c
dwayne russell and tony shaw-yuck

Davey33

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton

sounds like a good idea-perhaps as a start just to do at least home games

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Id listen to Pang, Maher, Higginbotham et al over most commentators on TV. Like others have said, as long as it wasn't gratuitously over the top, it would be great. Basically, if it's just like setting up a microphone in the Carlton cheer squad, it's probably not worth it. But otherwise, it would be great.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur

Is this a hypothetical question or are you putting the feelers out on here on behalf of interested parties?

I personally wouldn't listen to it live, and I'd suggest it's probably something that would be too difficult to organise on a weekly basis at a consistent level of quality in those terms, but an edited version packaged with game highlights would get some clicks and traffic for the club, and it also means it's not as outrageous for the people involved in terms of the energy and commitment.

After listening to the AFL draft podcast with Jimmae, Arr0w etc I think it would be effin hilarious.

Get serious guys/girls - forget the weekly podcast and do a live commentary of the game.

That I would seriously enjoy.
I don't think anyone would enjoy editing that... :p

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
I would listen if it was run by some of the names you mentioned (Sam Pang, Andy Maher, Fev, Tegan Higginbotham, Andy Lee, Dave Hughes and others.)

But would tune off pretty quick if it was run by just supporters.

Would also be great to just get a decent Carlton preview/review weekly podcast.

Wasn't aware that any of the above mentioned mental giants had any more footy cred than the average supporter .
In fact there are more than a few here on this board that would play that lot on the break re footy knowledge ...

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
I personally wouldn't listen to it live, and I'd suggest it's probably something that would be too difficult to organise on a weekly basis at a consistent level of quality in those terms, but an edited version packaged with game highlights would get some clicks and traffic for the club, and it also means it's not as outrageous for the people involved in terms of the energy and commitment.
I've been intending on doing something like this for the 2018 season, since I won't be able to podcast in the evenings. Keen to lend a hand? :)

Captain Cripps

Club Legend
Nov 21, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton

just my 5c
5c from the wallet !

Funk

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 6, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Is this a hypothetical question or are you putting the feelers out on here on behalf of interested parties?

I don't think anyone would enjoy editing that... :p

It's live so editing not required - I don't know how you'd manage if MEB_ was on.

Could be problematic......

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
American football does it quite well. They don’t seem to be overly bias, there is certainly some but they delve deeper into the game than tv commentary does which doesn’t seem to have any substance any more. Just consists of idiots parroting each other and saying elite a lot. I’d be interested in the idea hoping that it’d be a more insightful commentary.

Back