Opinion Carlton match day radio

• Thread starter blue89
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Would you like a Carlton match broadcast?

• Yeh sounds good

Votes: 41 85.4%
  • No...don’t ever mention it again!

Votes: 7 14.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

can I suggest tahoma font, shanster? it has a certain directness without ever shouting or intimidating - it hints of passivity yet carries a barely hidden rage - all purpose or a pointed message carrier - tahoma - it's the flexible font......... that you want.........

Is this a hypothetical question or are you putting the feelers out on here on behalf of interested parties?

I personally wouldn't listen to it live, and I'd suggest it's probably something that would be too difficult to organise on a weekly basis at a consistent level of quality in those terms, but an edited version packaged with game highlights would get some clicks and traffic for the club, and it also means it's not as outrageous for the people involved in terms of the energy and commitment.

I don't think anyone would enjoy editing that... :p

Definitely not putting feelers out on someones behalf, just a thought that i had. More than happy for someone to pick it up and run with it.

Not sure if it has been suggested on here before but I was just wanting to get everyone’s opinion on whether or not you think it would be a good idea for the club to broadcast commentary on our games on digital radio.

My suggestion would be a crew of Carlton people commentate on the game each week. Carlton fans may enjoy it as it will be slightly (or completely) biased towards Carlton. Can have a rotating crew from Sam Pang, Andy Maher, Fev, Tegan Higginbotham, Andy Lee, Dave Hughes and others. I’d also throw in some people with actual credibility such as ex players. Could even throw current players under the bus and get them in to commentate.

There will be a bit of a pre game and post game show, all light hearted and hopefully not as over the top as the MMM fools.

I think Collingwood have done this on occasion but I’m hoping this will be a full time thing that can be streamed from your phone at the game.

There would also be the potential to squeeze a couple extra dollars by getting some sponsors on board.

Growing up in the 80s and 90s, Saturdays ABC broadcasts were basically all carlton - Tim Lane in the box, and a host of carlton greats doing the around the grounds - Phil Pinnell, David Mckay, Mark Maclure....

Where there’s potential for the idea is if the tv content continues to converge towards pay tv. In the UK, where I think EPL is now solely available only on pay tv (happy to be corrected... I know a lot of the content is on pay), these type of radio commentaries are popular for reaching fans who otherwise can’t afford the outlay to watch their team play.

Of course, Australian football doesn’t have quite the same conditions though. Where EPL schedules games at once, and therefore prevents radio coverage of each game, our fixture means overlap of two games is basically the maximum. This means mainstream radio can cover games in a way that isn’t possible in England.

That said, I still think there is room for the idea of Carlton radio as a niche provider.

A suggestive format which I put to a few in the know years ago was a:
AFL
  • 30 min show the night before our game to go through the line-up which included a talk-back section at the end for supporters with views.
  • 30 min show before the game to go through any changes to the line-up, potential strategic moves on the opposition, and a chat with a non-playing player before linking up with professional commentary from the AFL website.
  • At half time revert back to the show for 15 mins and analyse the first half before linking up with professional commentary from the AFL website
  • On full time (if we win, after the song) a 15 min complete wrap of the second half and crossing to any post match interviews in the rooms.
VFL
  • 30 min show before the game to go the line-up, potential strategic moves on the opposition, and a chat with a non-playing player.
  • Commentary of Northern's 1st and 2nd quarter.
  • A half time show for 15 mins to analyse the first half.
  • Commentary of Northern's 3rd and final quarter.
  • On full time (if we win, after the song) a 15 min complete wrap of the second half and crossing to any post match interviews in the rooms.
Understandably these things cost $$$ so advertising of Carlton/Northern and other sponsored based affiliates would be required at no longer than 1 & 1/2 minute intervals.

Thoughts?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know? You could probably run one through this board. You just need some recording software and a mike

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Port do something similar I think.

Flirted with the idea for a bit but it would be hard for the people commentating to do it if they aren't co-located. People watch games on all different mediums now, and they never really watch at the same time. Can be delays up to a minute.

Port do something similar I think.

Flirted with the idea for a bit but it would be hard for the people commentating to do it if they aren't co-located. People watch games on all different mediums now, and they never really watch at the same time. Can be delays up to a minute.
Yo ShanDog what exactly is a Spec Moderator ??

American football does it quite well. They don’t seem to be overly bias, there is certainly some but they delve deeper into the game than tv commentary does which doesn’t seem to have any substance any more. Just consists of idiots parroting each other and saying elite a lot. I’d be interested in the idea hoping that it’d be a more insightful commentary.

Interesting thread and an interesting comment here. It could be done and clearly will be done.

Would be happy to listen to the pre-game from a CFC perspective with insights into who is in and why, how they've been tracking and who knows....maybe even the odd little secret pops out every now and then.
Not a fan of barracking though, but would be OK with the discussion largely coming from a CFC perspective.

Good idea. :thumbsu:

Back