Carlton Merchandise needs a complete overhaul

Remove this Banner Ad

I would have thought a nice navy blue guernsey would appeal to everyone in this thread? Wait until late December/early January and you won't need to worry about the generic AFL merchandise when you can get the guernsey. Sure it's more expensive but it's going towards a good cause! :(

I always buy directly from the club with the match day jumpers & scarfs. I don't buy the tacky t shirts and stuff cause you can tell it's AFL designed, i hate seeing people wear the "carlton" where the sponsor is supposed to be on the AFL official club jumpers from the AFL store. I guess to save money, but if you buy from the club,

1. it looks better
2. club probably gets a bigger cut of the money

I always buy directly from the club with the match day jumpers & scarfs. I don't buy the tacky t shirts and stuff cause you can tell it's AFL designed, i hate seeing people wear the "carlton" where the sponsor is supposed to be on the AFL official club jumpers from the AFL store. I guess to save money, but if you buy from the club,

1. it looks better
2. club probably gets a bigger cut of the money
Sorry, yeah I meant from the Club Shop.
I 100% agree. I'll only buy merch from the online shop or when I'm in Melbourne, for guernseys I'll go to the Nike shops and/or the shop at Visy Park.

Which merchandise specifically?

I've said for years that the range available for ladies is sorely lacking and tacky (e.g. tshirts emblazoned with "I only kiss Carlton supporters"...most reductive!) but the newer men's range seems quite nice.

I only swipe right for carlton supporters might be better

On a sightly different tact, the big problem with the AFL jumper is that its not wearable as casual clothing item unlike the rugby jumpers and soccer shirts.

Whilst I'm old school and love the tradition of the AFL Guernsey I wonder if Carlton could take a lead and develop a soccer style shirt similar to Melbourne Victory that they wear in the NAB Cup and out on the grounds during warm-up. It means kids and adults could buy one with their favourite players number. I don't see any reason why the players couldn't play a pre-season game in a light weight shirt (stop the shoulders getting burnt).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 195890 This is a screen shot of the men's apparel currently on sale. None of this is appealing. It looks like they are trying to go "retro". But it just comes off as out of style.
Just received this 'new arrivals' merchandise email :-

New-Arrivals+merch.jpg
This is AFL wide merch - I too hate how my team's store promotes it. It's ******* gross and so tacky.

However, Nike is probably league wide the best (with Adidas) for off field merch. Get New Era to set you up with some simple monogram 59fiftys and beanies and all you really need from footy merch is available. Nike's polos, training stuff, etc is all very well made.

It's probably unfair to put your store under the microscope in November since they're in between old and new stock so the store is pretty bare.

My point is, most of the clubs (I've looked at 6 club stores now and I'm over it) sell almost exactly the same merchandise.

You'll find this to be true in a lot of sports leagues. Go to the NBA store, FIFA store etc etc they're all selling identical merchandise but with different logos and colours.

I'm not too fussed TBH, and my mind is blown that people want footy merchandise for going out clothes, or as a business shirto_O

Remove this Banner Ad

Back