Carlton Pitches For Multimillion Dollar Stadium Upgrade

Remove this Banner Ad

The one thing I do concede is the ground definitely isn't up to AFL standard in its current format. What sort of upgrade though is what I am wondering to get it up to AFL standered. We all know the work required behind the grandstands, but which ones stay? Which ones go? Which ones get refurbished? What will the ground look like standing in the center square ahead of the first AFL game back at Princes Park?

The ground currently looks something like this:
Ikon-Park-Panaramic.jpg

b326e367-42e4-4026-956c-8117528b426e_1000.jpg

What will it look like in another 5 years?

Weren't the local residence complaining when games were played there,years ago?

Local residents are being petty full of contentiousness. It's being the traditional and historical home of one of the great Iconic partners of the AFL .
One game a week or so should be no problems with proper facilities and crowd managment. The sublime connection to the root culture of the game would be significant and draw people to our great game.
Supporters would love it and enjoy the footy , it would have a real rustic traditional feel, bring the streets and old lanes to life too.
Go Baggers

Priorities. They're starting in the wrong place where inner city transport dwarfs anything in the burbs.

Investment is needed where people actually live. Public transport in the south eastern suburbs is abysmal. A car journey of 50 minutes will take 2.5 hours by bus and train. e.g. There is still no train line to the old Waverley Park. Travelling north-south from Mentone to Doncaster will take in the slowest bus route imaginable at around 90 mins.

I have written to Jacinta Allan and her previous Liberal minister on various issues and dead silence.

First, the metro project will significantly boost capacity on the Frankston, Packenham and Cranbourne lines into the south-east, while also increasing capacity on the Craigieburn (north) and Sunbury (west) lines. As I said, it will benefit everyone....The south east is not the only part of Melbourne where public transport is stuffed. Likewise a train line directly to Waverley Park has limited benefits for the whole of Melbourne, not to mention the fact that building a new train line is infinitely more complicated.

Second, where people actually live? The north and west of Melbourne are the fastest growing areas. Just because something is your priority, doesn't mean it should be THE priority. The metro project spreads the benefit to all points of the compass. We all live here, we all pay tax. I'm no Andrews fan but it's been years since we've had a government that is willing to invest in infrastructure and they're doing it in a way that will improve transport across the board, not just in the south-east.

Contrast that with the previous government who ignored their own internal advice that the Metro tunnel was more cost effective and had far greater economic benefits than the East/West link. No proper cost/benefit analysis was even done.

Local residents concerns mean jack s**t if government wants it.....lights included!!

The stands that need to go are the old Elliott stand, Pratt stand and allow an extra 10 - 15 metres or so of park land behind Pratt and Old Elliott stand to get some depth in new stands

Build two new stands, would easily fit 25k fully seated with corporate facilities.

Local residents concerns mean jack s**t if government wants it.....lights included!!
Yep. If the cost/benefit is good enough, they'll make it happen. Is the area Ikon Park is in liberal or labor voting? Just need the other party to be in charge when making the decision - they won't be concerned about losing votes lol.

Reach a deal with the Carlton cricket club and develop oval 2 into a 25-35k seat stadium, or go for 20k seats and 20k standing.

If they are proposing AFLW games being undercover, then there is going to be a roof and there is now way we would get permission to enclose and roof over a heritage listed structure.
A few points here:

- the article states that seating would be 70% undercover, not the whole ground
- the heritage listing pertains to the Gardiner Stand (reference: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/06/03/1022982671423.html)
- our proposal would tie-in well with an existing council plan for the area (https://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/princes-park-master-plan.pdf)

Pretty sure we're going to s**t on any bid from Richmond given their location. The Collingwood bid is precedent for that.

EDIT: Here's the Heritage Council listing: http://vhd.heritagecouncil.vic.gov.au/places/65541/download-report

Last edited:
I'm sorry to be the one to say this but there is next to no chance an AFL game for points will be played at Princes Park again

"Bet I can get this Spider up to 150mph"

James Dean
California

A few points here:

- the article states that seating would be 70% undercover, not the whole ground
- the heritage listing pertains to the Gardiner Stand (reference: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/06/03/1022982671423.html)
- our proposal would tie-in well with an existing council plan for the area (https://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/princes-park-master-plan.pdf)

Pretty sure we're going to s**t on any bid from Richmond given their location. The Collingwood bid is precedent for that.
Some good points there. The article also says that the Bulldogs are pretty frustrated with the Etihad deal in place, I feel they are losing faith in the AFL. Because they aren't into upgrading the Whitten Oval, we should get them on our side as Allies, they should chip in a few dollars to the upgrade and play perhaps a few women's games there as well as low drawing interstate games at the ground if hosted AFL games. A club on the drop like them would only get around 20-25K for a home game against Gold Coast or Fremantle. That would replace the Etihad deal, I'm sure they would be on board a move to PP.

Princes Park could be well and truly the mecca of Boutique footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing for certain is that the toilets definitely need an upgrade

Would love to see us playing games at Ikon Park again, but the stadium just doesn't hold enough people. Even if we somehow managed to increase capacity to 35-40k, infrastructure around the ground couldn't handle these numbers. It was hard enough parking or getting to the ground by public transport back in the day.

The one thing I do concede is the ground definitely isn't up to AFL standard in its current format. What sort of upgrade though is what I am wondering to get it up to AFL standered. We all know the work required behind the grandstands, but which ones stay? Which ones go? Which ones get refurbished? What will the ground look like standing in the center square ahead of the first AFL game back at Princes Park?

The ground currently looks something like this:
Ikon-Park-Panaramic.jpg

b326e367-42e4-4026-956c-8117528b426e_1000.jpg

What will it look like in another 5 years?

Upgrade the legends stand with a second tier, upgrade the Pratt stand, extend the Pratt stand to the training facility and a small upgrade to the Elliott stand.
The problem with any major upgrade is you risk losing the one reason so many of us desperately want to return.

Any upgrade is fantastic news even if just for womens football and VFL.

The stands that need to go are the old Elliott stand, Pratt stand and allow an extra 10 - 15 metres or so of park land behind Pratt and Old Elliott stand to get some depth in new stands

Build two new stands, would easily fit 25k fully seated with corporate facilities.

And destroy the history and fabric of the ground in the process.

Would love to see the ground upgraded and updated even it is to just serve AFLW, VFL and NAB cup games.
Princess Park is a huge part of our clubs history and our fans (me included) history, any upgrade that removes that history will remove a huge driving force of why people want to actually go back there.

The AFL doesn't need another big stadium and with the first AFLW game drawing 25,000 people a huge upgrade is not needed to get the capacity up to 35,000.

The new metro station at parkvile and an upgrade at Royal park will help but other infrastructure in the area would need improving too.

I think our strategy should be to push PP as the home of the AFLW.
It certainly would place CFC at the forefront of supporting the league and provide impetus for the AFL to commit to funding a resurrection of the facilities. It wouldn't then be such a huge step to convince the stakeholders to go a step further and make it a 35k venue.

I think this sort of PR and the opening round of AFLW certainly has helped make us a destination club for Harris and the other girl, sorry forgotten her name.

Imagine if we had a boutique stadium for the AFL too , it could only enhance our image to potential player moves

They can outfit some exhibits in one of the new stands, but I agree that they're shouldn't be an emphasis on premium/corporate seating at this point in time.

It can be done whilst preserving the history of the ground. Im annoyed they didn't knock down the Elliott stand instead for the new training facility.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back