2nds Carlton Reserves 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Some notes on players that haven't already been mentioned in this thread:

Aaron Gundry - former Bendigo Pioneer; ruckman; 2019 AFL Combine invitee

Matthew Gundry (unsure if related) - former Port Melbourne defender (before that Seaford, then before that South Fremantle)

Tom Mills - Ararat player plucked from relative obscurity in 2017 to play in the future all-stars game during Grand Final week, but went undrafted; medium forward/mid. Mates with Tom Williamson.

Jack Boyd
- former Northern Knight; skinny key forward.
Boyd pkaying in Rick. Looks undersized for that possie. Took a nice mark.

Fraser Phillips one of our best for quarter. Pulled off a blind turn that drew ooh’s and aah’s from both factions of supporters. Ah

Goddard great player good man. Not sure if he’ll make it in seniors but sets great example and very vocal.

6-6-6 warnings at the game. Come on mates.

Ramsay!! Run down tackle had me off my feet.

Walked past umpires they are around twenty and were arguing about the wackiest tech umpire sh*t I’ve ever heard. Brace yourselves for next gen umpires.

Big old Harry McKay is here Giving out tips like chickadees in the forward huddle. Very animated, very genuine. And man he dresses cool and looks ace with hands in pockets. Looks even Acer when he pulls em out to mime how to take a screamer.

3/4 time

Blues 4.3 27

Essendon 9.3 57

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes Fraser is something! First time seeing him in full flight and very impressed. Concur with all goodwill directed so far his way

Lost the game predominately because Essendon were much cleaner than we were. We seemed kinda frenzied with / without the ball and when we kicked the goals they were usually spectacular via chain / mongrel, whereas dons just chiseled back the six pointers pretty efficiently and deliberately. Perhaps played into Fraser’s instruction from 1/4 and 3/4 huddle to “find out who you are”, know your strengths etc. seems to be the line that has trickled from top the way down. I like it. Some kinda cinematic vibe about it? But still they should’ve been better really. Can’t really sugarcoat it. Dons played hard ball but we didn’t adapt enough.

Other thoughts

Not sure why CFC didn’t advertise BYO / smoke friendly? Enjoyed some aldi rosè and esky bevs whilst others joined in. Could’ve snagged an extra 30-40 attendees I reckon.

Festy to hear bombers theme played over those speakers exiting. Have to power through park, luckily plenty of places to spew.

Loved Debutant Kane Kappel #80, had around ten family members there whooping every time he got near the ball. Was sick.

Sweet J. honey a reason to attend the vfl matches 1st half of the year! Sweetness, surely gonna get a game

Yes Fraser is something! First time seeing him in full flight and very impressed. Concur with all goodwill directed so far his way

Lost the game predominately because Essendon were much cleaner than we were. We seemed kinda frenzied with / without the ball and when we kicked the goals they were usually spectacular via chain / mongrel, whereas dons just chiseled back the six pointers pretty efficiently and deliberately. Perhaps played into Fraser’s instruction from 1/4 and 3/4 huddle to “find out who you are”, know your strengths etc. seems to be the line that has trickled from top the way down. I like it. Some kinda cinematic vibe about it? But still they should’ve been better really. Can’t really sugarcoat it. Dons played hard ball but we didn’t adapt enough.

Other thoughts

Not sure why CFC didn’t advertise BYO / smoke friendly? Enjoyed some aldi rosè and esky bevs whilst others joined in. Could’ve snagged an extra 30-40 attendees I reckon.

Festy to hear bombers theme played over those speakers exiting. Have to power through park, luckily plenty of places to spew.

Loved Debutant Kane Kappel #80, had around ten family members there whooping every time he got near the ball. Was sick.

Sweet J. honey a reason to attend the vfl matches 1st half of the year! Sweetness, surely gonna get a game

Great reports Bluebagger!!! ... you don't seem like you're 93.
By the way, who would be your half dozen or so best players?

Given the squad, this was always going to be a thing. That being said, I'd have been interested to have seen Goddard in the ruck.
We did appear to be very young. I Would suggest a lot of these really young guys may be in some lower leagues when everyone is available. Looks very obviously young through the middle, got brushed aside or blocked out far to easily. It’s where stocker looked the exception, you could hear his hits from the stand I was in.

We did appear to be very young. I Would suggest a lot of these really young guys may be in some lower leagues when everyone is available. Looks very obviously young through the middle, got brushed aside or blocked out far to easily. It’s where stocker looked the exception, you could hear his hits from the stand I was in.
How did you rate his game overall? Prolific in the middle, or were they running off him?

Went to Princes Park to check out the Northern Blues vs Essendon match tonight.

For those interested, reviews of some of our listed players below:

1. Matthew Owies: Thought he was sensational. His defensive pressure was first rate. Felt like whenever he was near the ball he was in the game. For those worried about us missing out on Papley, Owies is making some serious strides to replicate his game. He's looking really likely around goal and snagged a first class goal from reading the play and being front and centre from the contest. Really excited by what Owies can produce. I would really like to see him get a run in the second preseason match because he looks like he's ready to step up to the level. He was clean in the contest and showed his pace.

2. Caleb Marchbank: If someone else saw otherwise, please correct me but Marchbank must have been on limited minutes because he only appeared to play in the first half. In saying that, he looked good. Worked into the game really well. His defensive pressure was great, but most importantly he looked clean with the ball.

3. Fraser Phillips: This guy is all class and can find the goals from anywhere. Doesn't look out of place at all. Along with Stocker, he was probably our most composed player with ball in hand. Was able to show his creative side around goal, but most importantly was relatively consistent across all four quarters. He didn't rack up massive numbers, but he made it count when he had it. Was extremely impressed. Definitely a player to look out for across the course of the season.

4. Liam Stocker: Rotated between deep forward and midfield. He was nailing all his passes with pinpoint precision tonight. His positioning when in the midfield was first class, so much so that his first few possessions were intercept marks! Was really hoping he'd play more midfield time than what he did. Reckon he ended up playing a 50 50 split between forward and midfield. Can't comment much on his forward craft. Most of the time when he was forward, the ball was stationed at the other end of the ground. Played a solid game. Can definitely build off tonight's performance.

5. Josh Honey: Had some moments that would excite the fans. Showcased his electric speed a couple of times either sprinting away to deliver the ball inside 50 or running in to have a shot on goal. His finishing was off tonight. Should have had at least two goals, but in saying that, he did a lot right. Showed intent with his defensive pressure and looked dangerous near goal. There's a lot to like about Honey.

6. Sam Ramsay: Spent a fair bit of time in the midfield. Had a solid hitout. The one thing he did well was run from contest to contest to provide options for his teammates. Was clean with ball in hand and his decision making was pretty good tonight. Really like what he's producing. Really threw his body around in the contest when he had a chance. One thing to note is that I believe he went off limping in the last quarter. Didn't see the incident so can't make any further comments. Maybe one of our trusty ITK posters could fill us in :)

Went to Princes Park to check out the Northern Blues vs Essendon match tonight.

For those interested, reviews of some of our listed players below:

1. Matthew Owies: Thought he was sensational. His defensive pressure was first rate. Felt like whenever he was near the ball he was in the game. For those worried about us missing out on Papley, Owies is making some serious strides to replicate his game. He's looking really likely around goal and snagged a first class goal from reading the play and being front and centre from the contest. Really excited by what Owies can produce. I would really like to see him get a run in the second preseason match because he looks like he's ready to step up to the level. He was clean in the contest and showed his pace.

2. Caleb Marchbank: If someone else saw otherwise, please correct me but Marchbank must have been on limited minutes because he only appeared to play in the first half. In saying that, he looked good. Worked into the game really well. His defensive pressure was great, but most importantly he looked clean with the ball.

3. Fraser Phillips: This guy is all class and can find the goals from anywhere. Doesn't look out of place at all. Along with Stocker, he was probably our most composed player with ball in hand. Was able to show his creative side around goal, but most importantly was relatively consistent across all four quarters. He didn't rack up massive numbers, but he made it count when he had it. Was extremely impressed. Definitely a player to look out for across the course of the season.

4. Liam Stocker: Rotated between deep forward and midfield. He was nailing all his passes with pinpoint precision tonight. His positioning when in the midfield was first class, so much so that his first few possessions were intercept marks! Was really hoping he'd play more midfield time than what he did. Reckon he ended up playing a 50 50 split between forward and midfield. Can't comment much on his forward craft. Most of the time when he was forward, the ball was stationed at the other end of the ground. Played a solid game. Can definitely build off tonight's performance.

5. Josh Honey: Had some moments that would excite the fans. Showcased his electric speed a couple of times either sprinting away to deliver the ball inside 50 or running in to have a shot on goal. His finishing was off tonight. Should have had at least two goals, but in saying that, he did a lot right. Showed intent with his defensive pressure and looked dangerous near goal. There's a lot to like about Honey.

6. Sam Ramsay: Spent a fair bit of time in the midfield. Had a solid hitout. The one thing he did well was run from contest to contest to provide options for his teammates. Was clean with ball in hand and his decision making was pretty good tonight. Really like what he's producing. Really threw his body around in the contest when he had a chance. One thing to note is that I believe he went off limping in the last quarter. Didn't see the incident so can't make any further comments. Maybe one of our trusty ITK posters could fill us in :)
Great report, much appreciated. Liked the upbeat take on Owies. The boy can play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back