2nds Carlton Reserves 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Did I see that both Webb and Cunico have signed with the Northern Blues and that they are hoping that Sturgess does as well and that we are prepared to look at all three in the mid season draft?

Ryan Sturgess has signed on with the Northern Blues for the 2020 season.
Touted as one of the country’s best prospects who went undrafted, Sturgess represents an astute signing for the Blues with less than three weeks remaining until the start of the season.
The youngster is no stranger to both Ikon Park and Preston City Oval, having spent a month training with Carlton at the turn of the year while previously featuring for the Northern Knights.
A close friend of Carlton’s Sam Philp, Sturgess’ form for the Knights turned heads, ultimately seeing him selected for Vic Metro in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships.

This is devastating. I don't support carlton but I live in Preston and since a kid I have followed the 'Ants and now this club is basically gone. Unfortunately this can be a result of alignments. They take over ever so slightly then fully take control. Preston City Oval will now go to waste unfortunately...

VFL is back on.
But no Northern Blues.
Will our seconds players especially the young players like Dow etc have their development hindered now not being able to play the VFL?

VFL is back on.
But no Northern Blues.
Will our seconds players especially the young players like Dow etc have their development hindered now not being able to play the VFL?
We had scratch matches over the weekend. Would expect this to continue. VFL season doesnt start until 1 August - thats still 6 weeks away. The way our injury track record goes, we wont be able to field a team anyway.

The eight clubs will be Box Hill (Hawthorn), Casey (Melbourne), Coburg, Frankston, Port Melbourne, Sandringham (St Kilda), Werribee (North) and Williamstown. So only 4 representative teams - leaving the possibility for scratch matches against Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon, Footscray, Geelong

VFL is back on.
But no Northern Blues.

No AFL players in the VFL this year.
The AFL clubs will have scratch matches for non-selected players, like we did on Saturday morning.

No AFL players in the VFL this year.
The AFL clubs will have scratch matches for non-selected players, like we did on Saturday morning.

It throws up the interesting question about draft age this year - with the amount of disruption, we have the perfect excuse to change the draft age to 19 - this offseason will be much shorter, school finishes later. Ensures players have some more independence before joining the league and have to think harder about life after football.

It throws up the interesting question about draft age this year - with the amount of disruption, we have the perfect excuse to change the draft age to 19 - this offseason will be much shorter, school finishes later. Ensures players have some more independence before joining the league and have to think harder about life after football.
I think Walsh and Rowell have both shown that 18 is fine.

I think Walsh and Rowell have both shown that 18 is fine.
The extending of the age is not for the benefit of the best, but actually the worst. Of course the most highly rated juniors could have an impact at the next level, and even some lower rated players will be success stories - the premise behind lifting the age is that draftees dont have to have footy completely interrupt their final year of high school. They work out what they want to do as a career if footy doesnt work out (majority of players only have short careers). They have a year where they have to live in the real world without AFL dollars (could reduce the incidence of gambling as there is a higher appreciation of the value of money).

There will be obvious trade offs, but in a year that's already had significant disruption, now would be an optimal year to change the age.

The extending of the age is not for the benefit of the best, but actually the worst. Of course the most highly rated juniors could have an impact at the next level, and even some lower rated players will be success stories - the premise behind lifting the age is that draftees dont have to have footy completely interrupt their final year of high school. They work out what they want to do as a career if footy doesnt work out (majority of players only have short careers). They have a year where they have to live in the real world without AFL dollars (could reduce the incidence of gambling as there is a higher appreciation of the value of money).

There will be obvious trade offs, but in a year that's already had significant disruption, now would be an optimal year to change the age.

I'm a supporter of raising the age. I follow most American sports and most of them aren't playing sport until there early/mid 20s. Some guys are drafted at 24, 25 (though 25 is rather late).

As right as you are, they're not changing it. Walsh and Rowell are enough to convince them that it's fine the way it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a supporter of raising the age. I follow most American sports and most of them aren't playing sport until there early/mid 20s. Some guys are drafted at 24, 25 (though 25 is rather late).

As right as you are, they're not changing it. Walsh and Rowell are enough to convince them that it's fine the way it is.
Yeah, I guess the big difference with US sports is the college system being like a professional league of it's own (particularly for football & basketball).

I know they're not changing it....it's a missed opportunity for mine. If they didn't have to wait for the school year, the drafting and trading could occur concurrently (again more like the US system). There just seems to be more upside to changing the age than any potential downsides.

Its better for players long term welfare. If clubs have to downsize their lists, it gives current players more opportunity rather than forcing clubs to take draftees AND cut list size. It gives a great excuse to develop a stronger development league - would make zoning and academy systems more of a reality.

Cannot see any of these guys playing a scratch match this coming week. Even if dickheads up the road only have 8 or so players missing and still play us at MCG they certainly will not have enough to have a scratch match too. Also ruined any chance of simulate match sessions mid week due to not tackling beyong small group of players. Thanks Essendumb, you *******s!!!!
So match conditioning of guys looking to further their careers, halted because of another ******* club.

And was that our untried 179cm ex basketballer - Matt Owies - outmarking Lachie Henderson?
Followed up by a nothing kick by LH out of full back, only to see it rebound straight back over his head for another goal?
The game appears to have passed him by.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back