2nds Carlton Reserves 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

We could not beat a pretend team from Southport. Like losing to a team from PNG...Good to see our poor kicking is consistent.
Don't undersell Southport. They will prove themselves to be better than a number of the standalone VFL teams & some of the weaker AFL reserves teams. Success is what the Southport FC has always been about.

Don't undersell Southport. They will prove themselves to be better than a number of the standalone VFL teams & some of the weaker AFL reserves teams. Success is what the Southport FC has always been about.
They also have a large number of former AFL level players (Gowers - 6 goals) in their squad. They were always going to be a handful.

Some of our assistant coaches, IMO, are not AFL quality coaches. Our transition through the midfield is shocking and is just getting worse. Pressure us to the boundary lines and block us in and we'll turn it over. During matches we see players free in the corridor waving their arms like crazy... no opposition player within cooee of them... and the guy with the ball ignores them and kicks along the wing. Pittonet spent most of the game tapping down to powderpuff players. And now, in the VFL when we have a good lead in the last, panic, stutter and cough up the lead and manage to lose by a point. I'm not going to put the blame on O'Keeffe, because he's just started the job... but once again, our assistants are developing our players properly.
Barker.

Kicking skills , particularly with our inside 50s was IMO the biggest problem in VFL on Saturday (and a lack of talls across the park).

Same problem with inside 50s in the senior team.
Whoever is in charge of skills acquisition needs to be re-assigned or replaced, because it's clear we can't develop this right now.

They also have a large number of former AFL level players (Gowers - 6 goals) in their squad. They were always going to be a handful.
You mean the same Billy Gowers Carlton recruited in 2015 and then de-listed without playing a game??? If this bloke can kick 6 against our Ressies, then we are seriously stuffed.

Billy Gowers (born 10 June 1996) is a former professional Australian rules footballer who played for the Western Bulldogs in the Australian Football League (AFL). He was drafted by the Carlton Football Club with their first selection and fifth overall in the 2015 rookie draft. He spent two years on Carlton's list before he was delisted at the end of the 2016 season without playing a senior AFL match. He spent the 2017 season playing with Footscray in the Victorian Football League (VFL) before he was drafted by the Western Bulldogs with their first selection and ninth overall in the 2018 rookie draft. In his debut year, Gowers was the leading goal kicker for the Western Bulldogs by kicking 26 goals out of 20 games. He made his debut in the eighty-two point loss to Greater Western Sydney at UNSW Canberra Oval in the opening round of the 2018 season. He is the son of 1991 Hawthorn premiership player, Andrew Gowers. Gowers was delisted by the Bulldogs at the conclusion of the 2020 AFL season after playing 33 games over his 3 seasons with the club.

You mean the same Billy Gowers Carlton recruited in 2015 and then de-listed without playing a game??? If this bloke can kick 6 against our Ressies, then we are seriously stuffed.

Billy Gowers (born 10 June 1996) is a former professional Australian rules footballer who played for the Western Bulldogs in the Australian Football League (AFL). He was drafted by the Carlton Football Club with their first selection and fifth overall in the 2015 rookie draft. He spent two years on Carlton's list before he was delisted at the end of the 2016 season without playing a senior AFL match. He spent the 2017 season playing with Footscray in the Victorian Football League (VFL) before he was drafted by the Western Bulldogs with their first selection and ninth overall in the 2018 rookie draft. In his debut year, Gowers was the leading goal kicker for the Western Bulldogs by kicking 26 goals out of 20 games. He made his debut in the eighty-two point loss to Greater Western Sydney at UNSW Canberra Oval in the opening round of the 2018 season. He is the son of 1991 Hawthorn premiership player, Andrew Gowers. Gowers was delisted by the Bulldogs at the conclusion of the 2020 AFL season after playing 33 games over his 3 seasons with the club.
At 25 Gowers is always going to star at VFL level after kicking 26 goals as a 22 yr old. Just isn't good enough for AFL.

Nick Graham would have got 30 if he was out there on Saturday.

Carlton had 9 listed players, 2 on limited minutes, a bunch of no names and James Parsons from Cats.

At 25 Gowers is always going to star at VFL level after kicking 26 goals as a 22 yr old. Just isn't good enough for AFL.

Nick Graham would have got 30 if he was out there on Saturday.

Carlton had 9 listed players, 2 on limited minutes, a bunch of no names and James Parsons from Cats.
Like I said, just hope Bootsma does not make a surprise comeback....

Barker.

Whoever is in charge of skills acquisition needs to be re-assigned or replaced, because it's clear we can't develop this right now.
Not just Barker... there are a number of other assistants at the club who aren't up to spec.

Just because I don't think that Barker is any good as an assistant coach means that whenever I mention "assistant coaches", I am targeting him specifically.

He was never given a chance at Carlton and then SOS pushed him out the door.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barker.

I would say it's in part the assistant line coaches at senior level that is in charge of skill acquisition and development.

Not just Barker... there are a number of other assistants at the club who aren't up to spec.

Just because I don't think that Barker is any good as an assistant coach means that whenever I mention "assistant coaches", I am targeting him specifically.
I think we can't see the forest for the trees until Barker is gone. It's clear as day that Barker's midfield and transition strategies aren't up to standard even at VFL level, so let's move that on before we lambast those who suffer at the hands of it.

I would say it's in part the assistant line coaches at senior level that is in charge of skill acquisition and development.
I'm describing technique refinement, there needs to be someone overseeing that on some level so there isn't mixed and double messaging about fundamentals.

Can we get their committee to come down here and run the club?
If the AFL were really fair dinkum about having a successful team, both on & off the field on the Gold Coast, they should have awarded the licence to the Southport FC.

It's a footy club which has been well run for a long time & although a totally separate entity, it would have been well served by having access to the Sharks leagues club.

I think we can't see the forest for the trees until Barker is gone. It's clear as day that Barker's midfield and transition strategies aren't up to standard even at VFL level, so let's move that on before we lambast those who suffer at the hands of it.

I'm describing technique refinement, there needs to be someone overseeing that on some level so there isn't mixed and double messaging about fundamentals.

Isn't that supposed to be the job of Luke Power?

Geez, I thought you were referring to Bootsma for a moment.
I think that Bootsma showed a bit too much of himself!

He was never given a chance at Carlton and then SOS pushed him out the door.
I remember at the time, I was pretty disappointed that we cut him.
We played him mainly in defence in the magoo's, and there were match reports stating that he was holding the defence together in a number of games...similar to what Parks was doing at Glenelg last year.
Unfortunately his time at AFL level has likely passed, but he was brilliant on Saturday.

I remember at the time, I was pretty disappointed that we cut him.
We played him mainly in defence in the magoo's, and there were match reports stating that he was holding the defence together in a number of games...similar to what Parks was doing at Glenelg last year.
Unfortunately his time at AFL level has likely passed, but he was brilliant on Saturday.
Too good for the VFL, not quite good enough for the AFL... we seem to have had a fair few players like that over the years.

Carlton vs Southport at Princes Park. Never thought I would actually see the day that would happen.

Btw I am rather ill at the moment (both physical and mental health reasons) so staying home to watch both our VFL and AFL games (with the A League Melb Derby as well) at home.

Can AFL club members get into VFL Home matches at IKON Park for free or is there a small surcharge ? I don't mind, just wanted to know for the future.
Hi Elmer, Hope you are on the up and up.

Carlton members free entry to VFL but do need to print out or put on phone the barcode.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back