2nds Carlton Reserves 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Not seeing ‘AFL player’ in Ramsay yet.

Fair enough. I like that he went and got his own ball and for the most kept in the game - didn’t go missing.

Given he’s been a bit of a blank space since we picked him up, it’s good to see him lively and getting stuck in.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Stocker’s possie count was more Joel Bowden 38 than Paddy Cripps 38 .. kick-ins and handball receives etc .. wasn’t miles ahead of the others at all.. was still a positive game though and you’d think he’ll get a chance soon. Good size.

Cunners showing the traits that should equate to AFL star - clean hands, elite kicking and power... genuinely wonder if he doesn’t use his voice loudly enough bc at times just wasn’t used despite being in best position - saw him shaking his head a few times with a ‘wtf?’ (And with good reason).

Philip ok for a while.

Not much to get excited about from the others. LOB looks just like a VFL player. Fair to say there wasn’t a performance gap between the VFL and AFL players, generally.

That's why I wanted Setters to be the AFL medical sub instead of Dow. While he needs to get form and confidence, on todays performance he would have been better being the med sub.
I fear we've completely demoralised him now, and this comes after asking him to play a role he wasn't really suited for after the game has sped up again through the middle.

Outside looking in it appears he's the scapegoat, and I worry about our current culture in the football department if a player can wind up this dejected or marginalised.

i really dont understand why setters is not tearing it up. is he playing in the middle?
Yes

Can you describe his role, or any key moments that summarise why he was playing poorly?

Was he on the wing, was he tagging, was he getting scragged out and the team leaned into it for an advantage elsewhere?

How was he covering the ground? Looking for your thoughts here as well windows1 HaydossJ Bokan fnm_just a man

Stocker did pad out his stats with the kick ins but was still the best person on the ground by a mile. He went into the midfield for a period in the last and looked fine there are well. Any talk about his tank should be put to rest, is very fit.

In what sense? How would you compare his pace and acceleration compared to AFL standard? Given the speed we have in the VFL right now, there'd be a fair yardstick alongside him.

As as Setters has played some very good games in the past. He’s been a disappointment for a while.
A month, while playing on the wing again.

Really hard to see how Setterfield becomes a quality mid now the way the game is going.
He will only be an inside scrapper who lacks pace & skill or a tagger.
He's got qualities of Pendlebury and Bontempelli, but we don't really have the structures to support that, especially if Cripps doesn't block for others or share the ball by hand in favour of trying to side step and kick.

Ridiculous tactics.

Also, mods... can we get this split into an R1 VFL thread? This would be welcome discussion on the main board, it makes it more accessible when archived, and this thread will be reset 4 times a year if we keep this system.

BlueGum Aphrodite The Old Dark Navy's Jeremias

I fear we've completely demoralised him now, and this comes after asking him to play a role he wasn't really suited for after the game has sped up again through the middle.

Outside looking in it appears he's the scapegoat, and I worry about our current culture in the football department if a player can wind up this dejected or marginalised.

Can you describe his role, or any key moments that summarise why he was playing poorly?

Was he on the wing, was he tagging, was he getting scragged out and the team leaned into it for an advantage elsewhere?

How was he covering the ground? Looking for your thoughts here as well windows1 HaydossJ Bokan fnm_just a man

In what sense? How would you compare his pace and acceleration compared to AFL standard? Given the speed we have in the VFL right now, there'd be a fair yardstick alongside him.

A month, while playing on the wing again.

He's got qualities of Pendlebury and Bontempelli, but we don't really have the structures to support that, especially if Cripps doesn't block for others or share the ball by hand in favour of trying to side step and kick.

Ridiculous tactics.

Setters started at most centre bounces. In the first half he struggled to stick a tackle and when the ball left the centre he struggled to stay in the game. There were long stretches where I didn’t notice him at all - where you couldn’t miss Ramsay and Cuners who were also playing minutes in the midfield.

As for Stocker, I don’t have your expertise on how the body moves. What I saw, though, was a guy who reads the play well, who put his body on the line during a couple of contests and who run the game out. His agility may not be as strong as some, but I was impressed at how he moved across the ground and always seems to be at the right spot. And given the paucity of our defence, he was also the leader for most of the game back there until he was thrown into the centre.

Setters started at most centre bounces. In the first half he struggled to stick a tackle and when the ball left the centre he struggled to stay in the game. There were long stretches where I didn’t notice him at all - where you couldn’t miss Ramsay and Cuners who were also playing minutes in the midfield.

As for Stocker, I don’t have your expertise on how the body moves. What I saw, though, was a guy who reads the play well, who put his body on the line during a couple of contests and who run the game out. His agility may not be as strong as some, but I was impressed at how he moved across the ground and always seems to be at the right spot. And given the paucity of our defence, he was also the leader for most of the game back there until he was thrown into the centre.

Let me rephrase then: in terms of his ability to sprint to or from a contest, where did you rank Stocker on the field for our 22?

Do you feel Setterfield was carrying an injury, completely unmotivated, or something else?

Let me rephrase then: in terms of his ability to sprint to or from a contest, where did you rank Stocker on the field for our 22?

Do you feel Setterfield was carrying an injury, completely unmotivated, or something else?

Setterfield looked short of confidence.

Stocker seemed to sprint fine between contests, but he was playing a sweeper role off HB.

He was really good as a junior... but I think that his ACL injury in his second year might have cost him a little pace. I definitely remember him being quicker than that as a junior.

Re: Setterfield.
Could be a couple of issues there... demoralised because he was 1. brought into the side to be backup for Cripps and has never got a decent run at it unless Cripps was out of the side and 2. his ACL has cost him some pace and his development has gone backwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was really good as a junior... but I think that his ACL injury in his second year might have cost him a little pace. I definitely remember him being quicker than that as a junior.
Re: Setterfield.
Could be a couple of issues there... demoralised because he was 1. brought into the side to be backup for Cripps and has never got a decent run at it unless Cripps was out of the side and 2. his ACL has cost him some pace and his development has gone backwards.
He was showing pace and explosiveness in the last two seasons with us. I'm frustrated with how they're developing and coaching him.

He was showing pace and explosiveness in the last two seasons with us. I'm frustrated with how they're developing and coaching him.
Some of our assistant coaches, IMO, are not AFL quality coaches. Our transition through the midfield is shocking and is just getting worse. Pressure us to the boundary lines and block us in and we'll turn it over. During matches we see players free in the corridor waving their arms like crazy... no opposition player within cooee of them... and the guy with the ball ignores them and kicks along the wing. Pittonet spent most of the game tapping down to powderpuff players. And now, in the VFL when we have a good lead in the last, panic, stutter and cough up the lead and manage to lose by a point. I'm not going to put the blame on O'Keeffe, because he's just started the job... but once again, our assistants are developing our players properly.

Some of our assistant coaches, IMO, are not AFL quality coaches. Our transition through the midfield is shocking and is just getting worse. Pressure us to the boundary lines and block us in and we'll turn it over. During matches we see players free in the corridor waving their arms like crazy... no opposition player within cooee of them... and the guy with the ball ignores them and kicks along the wing. Pittonet spent most of the game tapping down to powderpuff players. And now, in the VFL when we have a good lead in the last, panic, stutter and cough up the lead and manage to lose by a point. I'm not going to put the blame on O'Keeffe, because he's just started the job... but once again, our assistants are developing our players properly.
Kicking skills , particularly with our inside 50s was IMO the biggest problem in VFL on Saturday (and a lack of talls across the park).

Same problem with inside 50s in the senior team.

Undersized teams have been over run for 150years in football. It is nothing to be surprised about that it has happened to our seconds 2 weeks in a row and will continue to happen until we have some talls back. Wasn't helped by Radovanvic going down. Massive bone crunching collision

Remove this Banner Ad

Back