VFL Carlton Reserves 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay, the ol' BH did the double header....went to the VFL over on Punt Rd before heading across to the G. Bit of a summary of the VFL scratch match.

- we had our strongest line up in any of the practice games so far - all of the available AFL boys out there for the first time for the year. We were around 5 or 6 goals down at half time before we turned it around for a narrow win - but the result is fairly irrelevant.

- Pitto dominant in the ruck and around the ground, and got better as the game progressed. Took some strong marks and good follow up work in centre clearances with some crash and bash. Thought he was our best player. Big Mirk also impressive....his tapwork sublime giving our mids first use of the ball. Spent a fair bit of time up forward when Pitto was rucking, so looks like they're developing his forward craft. Took a few big grabs, and did look dangerous at times with his extra height.

- Dow excellent in the midfield with burst from stoppages, although our dominant rucks were spoon feeding him a fair bit. Rotated through half forward and apparently finished with 4 goals, so a good day out for him. Carroll was also very prominent in the midfield - racked up a stack of possessions, and his disposal by foot was pinpoint at times.

- in defence, Durdin was solid again, doesn't do much wrong, and more than useful back up. Kemp was playing an intercepting role at half back - showed great athleticism at times aerially, but couldn't quite stick his marks. Probably a bit of ring rust coming off pre season - think he could be a big improver this year. Cincotta was clean with the ball, good on either side of his body, and just a bull off half back - he'll get some chances this year no doubt. Looks like he's playing with a new level of confidence and taking the game on. Big Dom as raw as ever, but took one or two huge marks. Plowman looked very ordinary - at times with that lack of genuine intensity....maybe I'm a little biased because I'm not a huge fan, but I would have Cowan, Cincotta and Kemp a fair way in front of him right now.

- of the draftees, big Lem kicked three I believe - one was a Joe the Goose, the second I think was a free, but the third was an excellent one on one overhead grab. Didn't do a lot apart from that, but did show good skills below his knees, and his disposal by foot is also impressive for someone his size. Looks a slow burner. O'Keefe played mainly up forward (with Pitto and Mirk sharing the ruck duties) - was competitive at times, with no real impact though. Another slow burner. Binns was busy on the outside - got a fair bit of the ball particularly early on, but really needs a few good pre seasons in the gym.

- of the VFL boys, the standouts for mine were: Moschetti in the midfield - just a terrier, and good footskills. McMahon again down back - where a few of the fellow Carlton supporters around me were saying "who the * is that?" Ramshaw across half back and midfield - got some class and not afraid to put his head over the pill. Parksy was also good - you never die wondering when he's in the vicinity - gives 100% every time, fearless in the contest.

Okay, the ol' BH did the double header....went to the VFL over on Punt Rd before heading across to the G. Bit of a summary of the VFL scratch match.

- we had our strongest line up in any of the practice games so far - all of the available AFL boys out there for the first time for the year. We were around 5 or 6 goals down at half time before we turned it around for a narrow win - but the result is fairly irrelevant.

- Pitto dominant in the ruck and around the ground, and got better as the game progressed. Took some strong marks and good follow up work in centre clearances with some crash and bash. Thought he was our best player. Big Mirk also impressive....his tapwork sublime giving our mids first use of the ball. Spent a fair bit of time up forward when Pitto was rucking, so looks like they're developing his forward craft. Took a few big grabs, and did look dangerous at times with his extra height.

- Dow excellent in the midfield with burst from stoppages, although our dominant rucks were spoon feeding him a fair bit. Rotated through half forward and apparently finished with 4 goals, so a good day out for him. Carroll was also very prominent in the midfield - racked up a stack of possessions, and his disposal by foot was pinpoint at times.

- in defence, Durdin was solid again, doesn't do much wrong, and more than useful back up. Kemp was playing an intercepting role at half back - showed great athleticism at times aerially, but couldn't quite stick his marks. Probably a bit of ring rust coming off pre season - think he could be a big improver this year. Cincotta was clean with the ball, good on either side of his body, and just a bull off half back - he'll get some chances this year no doubt. Looks like he's playing with a new level of confidence and taking the game on. Big Dom as raw as ever, but took one or two huge marks. Plowman looked very ordinary - at times with that lack of genuine intensity....maybe I'm a little biased because I'm not a huge fan, but I would have Cowan, Cincotta and Kemp a fair way in front of him right now.

- of the draftees, big Lem kicked three I believe - one was a Joe the Goose, the second I think was a free, but the third was an excellent one on one overhead grab. Didn't do a lot apart from that, but did show good skills below his knees, and his disposal by foot is also impressive for someone his size. Looks a slow burner. O'Keefe played mainly up forward (with Pitto and Mirk sharing the ruck duties) - was competitive at times, with no real impact though. Another slow burner. Binns was busy on the outside - got a fair bit of the ball particularly early on, but really needs a few good pre seasons in the gym.

- of the VFL boys, the standouts for mine were: Moschetti in the midfield - just a terrier, and good footskills. McMahon again down back - where a few of the fellow Carlton supporters around me were saying "who the * is that?" Ramshaw across half back and midfield - got some class and not afraid to put his head over the pill. Parksy was also good - you never die wondering when he's in the vicinity - gives 100% every time, fearless in the contest.
Thanks for this. Really appreciated. Did I miss reading about Honey, or didn't he play, or didn't he do anything of note...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see Dow resting forward, though his positioning is a little off to crumb. Has the hands and the heels for it though. Second goal was lucky, he'd have been properly tackled in the AFL and should have been seeking to handball with 5 Richmond players swarming him.

Not super keen on Akuei in defence, still believe he's better suited forward. Pittonet clean and stable under foot, but pace still worrying me. Mirkov looking in great nick by comparison by obviously struggles against the bigger rucks.

Kemp in defence, ugh.

Get that LOB can play after sitting on the bench for 3/4. But can Pitto? Don't mind it if he can - even if it's just for a half. Still needs a run.

No unexpected outs - Hewett, Martin, Walsh, Boyd, Cottrell, Cuningham, Marchbank (Philp, Williams) only.
Pittonet was a late in for the AFL, the team sheet should be adjusted before 7 PM to reflect that.

Good opportunity for Mirkov and O'Keeffe.

Pittonet TOG 53%
O'Brien TOG 24%

They might play if they aren't sore. O'Brien I think would be very likely. Pittonet would be better off left out IMO.

Good to see plenty of Carlton players named.

Hope to see a few put their hand up, particularly the quicker players. Dow, Carroll, Kemp, Honey. There's spots there if they want it.

Looking forward to seeing the development of Liam McMahon this year. Unlucky to be cut by the Pies last year, looked really good in the scratch matches - particularly the Port M match a few weeks back. Still only 20yo.

Could be a chance for a rookie spot the end of the year if we're looking for a developing KPD.

Looking forward to seeing the development of Liam McMahon this year. Unlucky to be cut by the Pies last year, looked really good in the scratch matches - particularly the Port M match a few weeks back. Still only 20yo.

Could be a chance for a rookie spot the end of the year if we're looking for a developing KPD.
Yeah I was even interested in him as a signing for the AFL list, but he's got to put on a little muscle and show his athleticism off to make the cut. Would also come at the expense of Sam Durdin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back