Game Day Carlton Reserves Game Day Discussion Rnds 2 - 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Time to trade him.
Wishing we had other options to play as tall defenders. Would like him to get an audition in our under sized forward line. Coaches need to change up some of these young players. Give them a new lease on life in the game, or a little freedom from constant mop up duties.

The AFL listed mids have not covered themselves in glory. They’ve all had terrible moments.

Honey, Durdin and TDK are the bright spots.

No need to rush with Newman either whose kicking did not inspire.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Newman has those games every now and then, generally his disposal is excellent.

Last thing I saw of the game he’d hyperextended his arm in a marking contest, so glad he played on

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honey needs to come in. He’s a class above VFL level.

That said, I doubt he’ll come in next week given our small forwards are actually in reasonable form.

I suspect it is;
Kennedy IN for Silvagni (Inj)
DeKoning IN for Casboult (omitted)

Gibbons. 11 touches Sunday, and 5 against the lions.

Playing average footy at best. AVG 15 a game.

Watched a reasonable amount.

1. De Koning - cant wait until he’s back.

2. Honey looks good. 6ft 1 could replace Jack.

3. Durdin has great tackling instinct.

4. Crocker the most competitive bloke out there.

5. Parsons is interesting, gets involved a lot,doesn’t quite finish his work.

6. Lochie O’Brien, gee he looks the part, but “just misses” the target a bit too often.

Watched a reasonable amount.

1. De Koning - cant wait until he’s back.

2. Honey looks good. 6ft 1 could replace Jack.

3. Durdin has great tackling instinct.

4. Crocker the most competitive bloke out there.

5. Parsons is interesting, gets involved a lot,doesn’t quite finish his work.

6. Lochie O’Brien, gee he looks the part, but “just misses” the target a bit too often.
Honey plays shorter though he almost took a huge screamer at one point.

LOB has been much better than that so far, his game against Essendon VFL showed some sublime kicking. Wouldn't bring him in yet but he's tracking very well to make it as an AFL player now I think.

Reading the, Around the state leagues, article on the AFL website, has got me really worried about our up and coming mids, the article has Mcrea from the Pies with 29 touches, Clark from the Cats 29 touches, Oneil from West Coast 30 odd touches, Maggines from the Hawks 23 possessions and Hately from the Crows 26 touches.

Why are the mids from other clubs in the VFL, WAFL and SANFL able to come in and find more of the footy than our guys who were taken at pick 3, pick 5, pick 10, pick 13? A few of the guys with better numbers in the VFL are in their first season, to see some of the things written about Dow, Setterfields, Kennedy’s and LOBs is a real big concern for our club going forward,

Reading the, Around the state leagues, article on the AFL website, has got me really worried about our up and coming mids, the article has Mcrea from the Pies with 29 touches, Clark from the Cats 29 touches, Oneil from West Coast 30 odd touches, Maggines from the Hawks 23 possessions and Hately from the Crows 26 touches.

Why are the mids from other clubs in the VFL, WAFL and SANFL able to come in and find more of the footy than our guys who were taken at pick 3, pick 5, pick 10, pick 13? A few of the guys with better numbers in the VFL are in their first season, to see some of the things written about Dow, Setterfields, Kennedy’s and LOBs is a real big concern for our club going forward,

Kennedy, Setterfield, Williamson all had 24 on the weekend. Dow had 22. It's not like these guys didn't get their hands on the footy.

Kennedy, Setterfield, Williamson all had 24 on the weekend. Dow had 22. It's not like these guys didn't get their hands on the footy.

Im more concerned that these guys are in their 4th and 5th seasons and don’t produce big possession games in the VFL and there are guys coming in to their first season at other clubs and are getting high 20s and 30s, when was the last time any one of the guys mentioned above had a big game?

Im more concerned that these guys are in their 4th and 5th seasons and don’t produce big possession games in the VFL and there are guys coming in to their first season at other clubs and are getting high 20s and 30s, when was the last time any one of the guys mentioned above had a big game?

I am not sure this is a major concern, and I think you are being unfairly selective whilst ignoring context.

Why is a big possession game considered a good game? Is a 25 possession game better than a 15 possession and 10 tackle game?

Let's look at the players you mentioned initially - Clark, Macrae, Maginness.

Clark - One game against a side with 0 AFL listed players. 29 touches.
Macrae - One game against a side with 0 AFL listed players. 29 touches.
Maginness - Two games. 6 touches in one, 21 in the other.

Compare that to the three main Carlton mids I think you're probably referring to. I've left Williamson off from my original reply as he is not a mid.

Kennedy - Two games. 16 touches in one (in less than a half), 24 in the other.
Setterfield - Four games. 13, 25, 26, 24 touches, 10+ tackles in two games.
Dow - Two games. 20 touches in one, 22 in the other.

All bar one of our games (R1 in which only Setterfield played) have been against AFL listed players.

Edit: Minor additional point, I am sure all of these guys have had big games in previous seasons. I am not looking it up but Kennedy in particular I am certain has had many 'big' games. I wonder what the reaction was to these games - was it, 'this kid is a gun' or was it 'it's only VFL, he needs to do it consistently'?

I guess the point is, are the guys you highlight doing it consistently in comparison to ours? Granted it is a very small sample size, but to date the answer is no and I'm not sure it's worth losing any sleep over.

I am not sure this is a major concern, and I think you are being unfairly selective whilst ignoring context.

Why is a big possession game considered a good game? Is a 25 possession game better than a 15 possession and 10 tackle game?

Let's look at the players you mentioned initially - Clark, Macrae, Maginness.

Clark - One game against a side with 0 AFL listed players. 29 touches.
Macrae - One game against a side with 0 AFL listed players. 29 touches.
Maginness - Two games. 6 touches in one, 21 in the other.

Compare that to the three main Carlton mids I think you're probably referring to. I've left Williamson off from my original reply as he is not a mid.

Kennedy - Two games. 16 touches in one (in less than a half), 24 in the other.
Setterfield - Four games. 13, 25, 26, 24 touches, 10+ tackles in two games.
Dow - Two games. 20 touches in one, 22 in the other.

All bar one of our games (R1 in which only Setterfield played) have been against AFL listed players.

Edit: Minor additional point, I am sure all of these guys have had big games in previous seasons. I am not looking it up but Kennedy in particular I am certain has had many 'big' games. I wonder what the reaction was to these games - was it, 'this kid is a gun' or was it 'it's only VFL, he needs to do it consistently'?

I guess the point is, are the guys you highlight doing it consistently in comparison to ours? Granted it is a very small sample size, but to date the answer is no and I'm not sure it's worth losing any sleep over.

Cheers for that, to respond in a real simple way to a detailed post, I think these guys, Dow, Setters and LOB especially, should be standout players in the VFL and a clear cut above, I think they should be entrenched in the seniors which they aren’t, so when I see 20 and 22 from Dow, it doesn’t fill me confidence.

Small sample size, we will see in the coming weeks how they track.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back