Game Day Carlton Reserves Game Day Discussion Rnds 2 - 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I see Jim’s point and it’s valid to an extent, you can’t just give the guy a pass for all his poor efforts though IMO.

Occasionally he does go very hard at a contest and it’s like "yep, there’s the real Samo"... until the next contest where he might be suspect again, seems to pick and choose to me

His papers aren’t stamped with me but I do think a change of scenery might be best for all concerned now, especially if his 2nd Q effort today is anything to go by (that’s all I watched)
No one's giving him a pass, I think he just needs to submit to some serious physiotherapy.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Surely Russell would have him already doing so?? If not, that’s a whole bunch of new questions to ask...

Maybe, just maybe, it’s a mental thing with him...
I think they're being too conservative with their treatment, with the goal of keeping him on the park.

Oct 15, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, OKC Thunder
I think they're being too conservative with their treatment, with the goal of keeping him on the park.
That’s an assumption though mate, one weighted in Sam’s favour. If you’re right, Russell needs to be asked questions then

I just try to judge what I see and I see a footballer that’s only committed sparingly atm

I don’t say it lightly either, I try to catch the U/18 games on Foxtel every year and pick out one or 2 faves to follow. Well Sam was the one I picked out to go No.1 the year before he was eligible to be drafted (and only subsequent injuries stopped that IMO)

To say I was stoked that we drafted him is an understatement, I just want to see that kid come back but have only seen it a few times and I’m frustrated by it

Nov 14, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Kemp was impressive today, considering it was his first game in 2 years. Lots of upside, knows how to get the ball and his kicking looked ok.
The rest look like they had been out on the town last night. Injuries notwithstanding, it was an insipid performance. The coaching left a lot to be desired, as he just let things continue without any change in the game plan. Our mids just refused to run back and man up an opponent. Is this what they are being taught?
Better to have stayed with Preston..

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
You really need to have a better look at that trade before firing off posts like this

What needs a closer look?

Taking LOB with pick 10 or trading pick 16 to bring in Kennedy, who’s now a rookie, or are we looking how we used one of the second rounders coming back from the Crows, to bring in Gov, who’s been terrible and on huge $$$$, or should we focus on the second rounder we handed back to the Crows, pock 24, which was used to pick up Ian Hill, who would be a great fit for us.

Taking DeKooning is the only saving grace

The trade, was a disaster.

Nov 14, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Swans are the only team you mention that remotely resemble your stance based on success. Mature bodies who execute a considered, proven game plan win football games. It’s the latter part that needs more attention.
After seeing SPS today, no rush to get him back in the team. He looked lost out there today.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
What needs a closer look?

Taking LOB with pick 10 or trading pick 16 to bring in Kennedy, who’s now a rookie, or are we looking how we used one of the second rounders coming back from the Crows, to bring in Gov, who’s been terrible and on huge $$$$, or should we focus on the second rounder we handed back to the Crows, pock 24, which was used to pick up Ian Hill, who would be a great fit for us.

Taking DeKooning is the only saving grace

The trade, was a disaster.

The trade wasn't a disaster, Gibbs is no longer in the game.

Our talent identification probably deserves more scrutiny, but I would be interested to see people's rankings from that draft, prior to the event

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
LOB is ‘nearly’ there. So close. His running is fantastic. His kicking ‘usually’ fantastic.

The occasional ‘really bad’ moments are killing him. Two today stood out. One: the body collapse in the back pocket that spilled for a goal....just another bad look for his physicality. Two: that stupid handball.

But outside that I feel he IS physically harder at the ball. He IS keeping his feet much better. He is consistently finding the footy when I think that’s hard the way they make wings play these days (hold them fat to one side of the ground and away from play).

He has some real positive attirubutes. If he can neutralise those negatives a bit more we have a quality afl wingman on our hands.

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton

Our talent identification probably deserves more scrutiny, but I would be interested to see people's rankings from that draft, prior to the event
Brayshaw was regarded as a ‘neat’ player and came late on most peoples’ boards. Supposedly the majority of recruiters had dow at ONE. No one had Dow lower than 5. No one anywhere. Zero. Many preferred Fogarty and Richards to LOB. No great losses anywhere really. It was a very very weak draft.

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Almost everyhting Honey does is terrific. He strolls onto his left like he’s Luke Hodge. He’s very hard physically. He gets tackles. He can compete in the air (unlike our midget afl forwards bar Owies). He doesn’t really get it a lot. Not sure he really knows where it’s going. Not a ‘smart’ player. But I love the way he plays and what he brings.

Starved of opportunity they threw him on ball today. But his lack of smarts didn’t help him.

Maybe not next week (Sydney ground is tough) but the week after he’s a must IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 14, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Almost everyhting Honey does is terrific. He strolls onto his left like he’s Luke Hodge. He’s very hard physically. He gets tackles. He can compete in the air (unlike our midget afl forwards bar Owies). He doesn’t really get it a lot. Not sure he really knows where it’s going. Not a ‘smart’ player. But I love the way he plays and what he brings.

Starved of opportunity they threw him on ball today. But his lack of smarts didn’t help him.

Maybe not next week (Sydney ground is tough) but the week after he’s a must IMO.
He knows how to find the ball, but a lot harder in the Seniors. Time to give him a try and see what happens.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
It makes me a little sad for the ex-players like Campbell and Nathan Brown, that the best offering they could get post career is the Betfair ads and a few panel shows but not the main ones. What's going to happen when they don't have the face/name recognition and there's a crop of younger better ex-players with more charm?

Nothing else to fall back on.

What about dodgy panel shows with Mark Latham?

Nov 14, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton

100% correct. We could not attract any players and suddenly when two agreed to join us we just threw money at them.
Never been a fan of Kennedy. Gibbs played well at Carlton and gave great service. When he left we felt the loss, because he knew how to get the ball.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal

Ok, agreed, rephrase, how we spent our capital was quite disappointing. TDK looks very nice though.

Apr 21, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
100% correct. We could not attract any players and suddenly when two agreed to join us we just threw money at them.
Never been a fan of Kennedy. Gibbs played well at Carlton and gave great service. When he left we felt the loss, because he knew how to get the ball.

Got two good half backs now and doc further up . Cost aside like it

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
The club can shoulder some of the blame, but a player has to also be accountable for their own development.

I know SPS is a pretty withdrawn guy, and maybe he hasn’t gone out of his way to seek specific feedback or provide suggestions or some idea of how he fits into the team and what he’s planning on doing to get himself to the next stage of development. He’s essentially been in limbo, not getting better but not getting worse, since his second season.

Reckon the style of footballer he was drafted as just isn’t really conducive to AFL, and SPS has only had a few minor glimpses at replicating his WAFL form, always in favourable circumstances where he’s just happened to hit on some sweet spot. Playing on pure intuition is idealised, but there are a hell of a lot of components you need to cross to be successful and SPS lacks in a lot of key areas. Not competitive enough, not brave enough with his disposal for where we want to play him, and low output for his experience.

I think the club did the right thing by trying to develop him as a rebounding defender to solve some of these blind spots, but we just saw similar variations of pre-existing issues, and now the club has added Saad and reinstated Williams in defence he’s even further down the pecking order.

The club will probably end up letting him go, but I’m more inclined to think he’s going to end up going the way of Jimmy Toumpas or at best becoming a role player who’ll be phased at some point like James Aish.

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
I haven't been against him from day dot I actually thought he looked very promising the first few seasons. He has been poor the last few seasons and is now clearly not best 22 and highly doubt he has a future with us.

Wow, such a dogmatic statement. I just dont know how you come to such definitive judgements

Remove this Banner Ad

Back