Game Day Carlton Reserves Game Day Discussion Rnds 2 - 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Been really impressed by North, so surprised he’s listed as emergency.

BTW, the VFL Dogs vs Blues game is on 7 HD from 12pm.
What an afternoon! Winning!

Very keen to see the continued development of LOB today. I thought he was good week one of the vfl, lifted to very good week two and I thought he was excellent last week. Another game like that and I think he’s in next week. His two way run and his kicking are just top shelf stuff at the moment. People talk about ‘contested ball’ being his weakness but they don’t ask him to do that and I think those that say it lack insight. His weaknesses are hands below knees and tackling (when it’s his turn). He doesn’t need high tackle counts but he needs to stop having his tackles broken. I feel his hands are cleaning up. He’s obviously working on it and I hope he’s clean again today.

Also looking forward to watching Honey play. We need him in the ones. I hope he kicks straight today and gets it 15 times. That will see him close. Watch for him hitting up on the lead. His pace into space creates real outlet options for the defenders- somehting none of our smalls in the seniors can do.

If TDk isn’t the sub today he only needs to avoid injury to play next week: he’s far too good for this level. I felt he should have been picked today. He’s a ridiculous athlete and real footballer around the ground- he chases, he provides handball to receive options. He’s a top 3 afl ruckman waiting to explode.

Setters I think we are looking for clean hands below his knees. And consistently strong attack on the ball when it’s in dispute. He’s improving but he needs a bit more of that to try and force his way into the seniors. I hope he keeps his tackles numbers right up. He’s really focussed on being a strong two way player and that’s terrific.

Dow needs to play out the 4 quarters strongly and get 30. He needs to run hard. Keep playing to his strengths which is break away power ball in hand.

TDk, lob, honey, sps and Dow the ones to watch and the selection options for next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Power & O’Keeffe allow the youngsters to enjoy playing football with steady sound development plan, we’ll see much better results from our VFL and then senior appearances going forward , it’s obvious that the players are happy and absorbing the mentoring it refreshing to see a competent coaching team. It move very long overdue.

Replays should be on 7Plus, but possibly Kayo also?

Tom North being the emergency is fairly telling, as I'd expect him to play, so that would suggest one of Setterfield or Dow is the medical sub. I'm not even sure I expect Dow to play, so probably Setterfield.

Backs:Ryley StoddartStefan RadovanovicCody Hirst
Half-backs:Nic Newman Tom Williamson Sam Petresvki-Seton
Centreline:Lochie O'BrienWill Setterfield Sam Ramsay
Half-forwards:Jack CarrollToby WoollerJosh Honey
Forwards:Ben CaluzziBen CrockerCorey Durdin
Followers:Tom De KoningPaddy DowMatt Kennedy
Interchange:James ParsonsCooper StephensEd Delaney
Matt Shannon
Emergency:Tom NorthLachlan Gawel

We really need another young KPF and KPD developing on our list. And maybe a ruck.

Power & O’Keeffe allow the youngsters to enjoy playing football with steady sound development plan, we’ll see much better results from our VFL and then senior appearances going forward , it’s obvious that the players are happy and absorbing the mentoring it refreshing to see a competent coaching team. It move very long overdue.

The fact we have a standalone should help a lot with that too...being able to play players in the same positions and roles for them to step into the AFL team.

How I'd line them up - I assume TDK won't be the injury sub, the other 3 all have claims but I'd plump for SPS so Dow gets a full game in the 2s and Setterfield gets to push his case with another key role rather than warming the pine. The 2s are short all over but without Gundry or Mirkov names as emergencies it isn't going to change this week.

Backs:Cody HirstEd DelaneyTom Williamson
Half-backs:Nic NewmanStefan RadovanovicJack Carroll
Centreline:Lochie O'BrienWill SetterfieldSam Ramsay
Half-forwards:Ben CaluzziMatt KennedyJosh Honey
Forwards:Toby WoollerBen CrockerCorey Durdin
Followers:Tom De KoningJames ParsonsPaddy Dow
Interchange:Tom NorthCooper Stephens
Matt ShannonRyley Stoddart
Emergency:Lachlan Gawel

Sam Petresvki-Seton injury sub

Remove this Banner Ad

Back