Game Day Carlton Reserves Game Day Discussion Rnds 2 - 19

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think Parks or Williamson - to shoot Bambi a bit - have the requisite footysmarts to play AFL in a top side. Both could be role players, contribute week to week on the periphery of the side, but Parks attack on the ball is singleminded and can be made to be less intelligent/considered and more kamikazel; he's also prone to reacting to pressure with making poor decisions. Williamson has AFL physical attributes, but his game read is poorer than Cottrell; being a leader in the VFL might be the limit for him, because his role needs to have strong gamefeel or have a preternatural ability to spot up a target long upfield. Either he becomes a stopper back pocket, or he's not AFL level.

Ramsay needs to stop drifting in and out of games, but he looks like a mini Ollie Florent to me; just needs to find some dominance over a few weeks and he could replace Cottrell pretty soon. LOB needs to be belting the door down, because I don't know that deep down he believes he can do it; he needs the confidence being in exceptional form could grant to come straight in and be the player he could be. Of the players you list, he is - in my opinion - both the player we need to play more consecutive VFL games before promotion and the player we most need to come good.
On Willo: when I mentioned that I thought it was weird that he was played as key defender in the VFL I was told "that's more his go" by one of the leadership group.

We haven't ruined SPS, here is a player who refuses to put his body on the line, refuses "to go" when he has to.
This is just wrong. It's a perpetuated myth because once or twice he mightve tried to cheat a stoppage/contest or likely. Got called out by a teammate, literally who hasn't. Sps goes when it's his turn and has good intent. He literally looks like his body just won't do what he's wanting it to recently.

He took that ripping defensive mark in his last seniors game, laid a couple ferocious tackles and just walked off a vfl game on a wing with 10 tackles and clearly struggling to run.

Pot him if you want but don't call him soft or conditional when it comes to contact.

I don't think SPS is soft, moreso, trying to keep his feet rather than completely committing to a contest/tackle at times

I think he will find that balance
Yeah I agree with this a bit too. He's not recklessly kamikaze with tackling in a contest but that's him. I've only ever seen one contest where he's actually pulled out when he should've gone, I've arguably seen one or more for every carlton player as well...

I don't think SPS is soft, moreso, trying to keep his feet rather than completely committing to a contest/tackle at times

I think he will find that balance

Yeah, looked very indecisive in the VFL game. Ran a lot but seemed uncertain about getting to the contest or sitting off it.

Result was a guy caught 30 metres off the play for the majority of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is just wrong. It's a perpetuated myth because once or twice he mightve tried to cheat a stoppage/contest or likely. Got called out by a teammate, literally who hasn't. Sps goes when it's his turn and has good intent. He literally looks like his body just won't do what he's wanting it to recently.

He took that ripping defensive mark in his last seniors game, laid a couple ferocious tackles and just walked off a vfl game on a wing with 10 tackles and clearly struggling to run.

Pot him if you want but don't call him soft or conditional when it comes to contact.

Highlighted is literally the reason he's on the outer, it's the reason his footy is failing him.

He holds back, he doesn't go hard, he runs around contested ground balls and is unwilling to take tackles and he let's the opposition run through contests without checking them. It's not his body not letting him do things it's his mind.

He's made it so far because of skills and smarts but if you aren't willing to embrace the contact side of the game AFL will catch you out.

He's literally not hard enough at the contest and that's why we won't play him in the midfield.

10 tackles and bugger all possessions, probably holding back and letting the opposition have first crack at the footy like I see all the time, well at least he's stopping them because he has been letting them get through him at in AFL side.

It's quite simple for SPS, get the intensity and physicality up or move on. It's not on us it's on him.

It's frustrating because he has the talent to be a top player but as many great coaches have said, it's all between the ears.

I love this report. Covers my own thoughts really well, and I'm so glad the development coaches are promoting this message to the match committee, the playing group and the coaching grup.

I love this report. Covers my own thoughts really well, and I'm so glad the development coaches are promoting this message to the match committee, the playing group and the coaching grup.
2 years out, finally plays a game, lockdown. Poor bloke, he must be shattered.

2 years out, finally plays a game, lockdown. Poor bloke, he must be shattered.
The snap lockdown should fix things up, and he'll be straight back in. Might even see the fixture re-arranged to ditch the upcoming bye.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back