Roast Carlton Supporters: Lack of Support?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok. But it's too bloody hard to hold back isn't it? I'll guarantee if BF didn't open for business until 24 hours after a loss a lot of heat will have gone from the vehemence of the posts. Heat of the moment is no excuse but supporters invest a lot of emotion in their clubs, teams, players. Disappointment at less than acceptable efforts is gonna be on display. And when the team wins we love the guys so much and wanna show it. I've felt like a pathetic hypocrite plenty of times before. When you think about it, that Footscray game was reason for us to be even more mad - where was that effort previously?

Here here.

The lack of consistency in application of effort and the lack of confidence are the most damning, unacceptable, unexplainable behaviours this playing group has perpetrated on the supporter base and there is a limit to what reasonable people should and will tolerate.

The list (as it is now) will never compete for a premiership until this issue is sorted and that will be done by flicking the people who don't have the intent, desire and confidence to play competitive football, as a team, for each other week in week out and replacing them with people who do.

THIS is why I am so so angry ATM - starting to get a nasty feeling that malthouse has conned the whole Club.

Disagree re Mick's agenda/intentions JaB. Reckon he thought he would come in, cull some cloggers, get in some upgrades, instil confidence and develop players and the results would follow.

At the moment I genuinely believe he's struggling with why the players play the way they do week to week.

Our players are proving that introverted does certainly equate to a lack of confidence. Guess he needs to find some arse holes with egos and we'll go places.

Here here.

The lack of consistency in application of effort and the lack of confidence are the most damning, unacceptable, unexplainable behaviours this playing group has perpetrated on the supporter base and there is a limit to what reasonable people should and will tolerate.

The list (as it is now) will never compete for a premiership until this issue is sorted and that will be done by flicking the people who don't have the intent, desire and confidence to play competitive football, as a team, for each other week in week out and replacing them with people who do.
Membership numbers seem to be running relative to effort on the field.

Membership numbers seem to be running relative to effort on the field.

We don't have a majority supporter base like some where football is essentially peoples lives outside of their job and family. a lot of blue collar down Collingwood way that live and breath the game.

I think last year's number was based on expectation and hope that with Mick coming on board we go alright. I'd say our numbers have stalled somewhat in the last few weeks based on that effort you're talking about.

Disagree re Mick's agenda/intentions JaB. Reckon he thought he would come in, cull some cloggers, get in some upgrades, instil confidence and develop players and the results would follow.

At the moment I genuinely believe he's struggling with why the players play the way they do week to week.

Our players are proving that introverted does certainly equate to a lack of confidence. Guess he needs to find some arse holes with egos and we'll go places.
This.

Mick hasn't conned the club. Some of the senior players have conned the club and Malthouse into thinking 2011, rather than 2012 to 2014 was our level. Board needs to back the coach. 12 months ago, the Pies weren't Buckley's team. Pies rolled over against Port who were at home by Carlton in the last round. Cloke was copping it from Pies fans after he put off re-signing until the end of the year. Gibbs is our "Cloke". Another list turnover should make it Malthouse's team.

Sign Gibbs or let him go for a top ten pick.
Trade players who need a fresh start for picks or players.
Target home sick players like Henderson, Docherty, Caddy, Adams, Polec, etc.
Recruit role players like Monfries, Matt White, Clinton Young, Everitt and Jesse White to fill in for departed players.
Get Kreuzer right for 2015.

Last edited:
This.

Mick hasn't conned the club. Some of the senior players have conned the club and Malthouse into thinking 2011, rather than 2012 to 2014 was our level. Board needs to back the coach. 12 months ago, the Pies weren't Buckley's team. Pies rolled over against Port who were at home by Carlton in the last round. Cloke was copping it from Pies fans after he put off re-signing until the end of the year. Gibbs is our "Cloke". Another list turnover should make it Malthouse's team.

Trade players who need a fresh start for picks
Recruit role players like Monfries, Matt White, Clinton Young, Everitt and Jesse White to play roles.

Sounds sensible in line with consensus views expressed everywhere - except for:

...." some of the senior players have conned the CLub and Malthouse into thinking 2011 rather than 2012- 2014 was our level.."

needs expanding on I reckon.

Sounds sensible in line with consensus views expressed everywhere - except for:

...." some of the senior players have conned the CLub and Malthouse into thinking 2011 rather than 2012- 2014 was our level.."

needs expanding on I reckon.

TBH don't think anyone conned anyone, at least not intentionally. In hindsight I think it was some delusion on the part of some as to the capability of the list and for others the dawning realisation that with the coach we had and the list we had it wasn't going to happen.

At board level the view that Ratten had taken the list as far as he could became stronger and stronger, primarily based on Ratt's lack of established cred in the business more than anything else. Bringing in Malthouse was supposed to be the missing piece.

We could argue forever about the merits of getting rid of Ratten but for mine the one thing it did do was to bring the microscope onto the players a lot quicker than if Ratts had stayed.

Personally believe Malthouse is the right bloke for this time and certainly believe the list needs a lot more work before we're a chance.

Our list status is sickening with no quick fixes. Wayne Hughes & Ratten did as poor a job as any over the last 5 yrs of list management bar none in the comp. I'm as dark on the extractor and his side kick as can be. Our bottom 6 are as bad as any club. I went on record at the time of his appointment that McKenna was the best available at the time and stand by the call. We took a club legend who was about the 6th most credentialed option at the time. We took the L plater instead of the most experienced P plater and we are paying for our poor list right now allowing for the lag of terrible drafting and list management.

POTY for not only using that word but putting it in the exact context it is meant to be used. I reckon posters everywhere are looking up the online dictionary, I know I did,
You can't stop me taking that as a compliment.

This.

Trade players who need a fresh start for picks or players.
Recruit role players like Monfries, Matt White, Clinton Young, Everitt and Jesse White to fill in for departed players.
Get Kreuzer right for 2015.
It sounds like what Buckley did at Collingwood last year. Needs to be done.

Part of my post in the thread: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...volving-your-club.687039/page-4#post-32911358

I was'nt confident. Did'nt want to go. My wife dragged me there anyway.We sat down at the fence.Midway through the 3rd quarter of an inept, spineless performance, Chris Judd told a player ( who shall remain nameless ) to "go onto McVeigh" who was running riot at the time.
Said player replied: "What's the point ? Who cares?"
Keeping Sydney scoreless in the last quarter made it worse.
He did'nt care. There was still 30 or so minutes of play left and he was already planning mad Monday.If he did'nt care, why should I, in my 41st year of supporting the club ?
I did'nt include last Sunday's effort ( ? ) against Essendon as I did'nt see any of it. If I had, the '99 GF would'nt be listed above.

I've copped it from so many friends for questioning my devotion to Carlton.No doubt I'll cop it here too, hence why I very rarely enter into these sections of the site.
All I ask,as a person who has'nt watched a game this year, is:
Has anything happened this year to warrant me coming back ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread should have been canned from the start. Most of the threads on BF demonstrate a lack of support by Carlton supporters. The endless carping and pontificating by a number of 'experts' lowers my BF experience.

The Carlton Football Club circa 2014 is all we've got. I go to every game expecting to win. That's why I'm a supporter. I don't see, apart from Judd, players capable of extraordinary ability like I've seen in the past. Elite footballers are match winners. We lack them at the moment. I suppose I keep a little bit of excitement in reserve waiting for our next superstar.

Thanks. Sorry I have an opinion that differs to yours.
If you were to come back and I imagine by your original question that that is an option, what sort of things would have to take place other than wins? Or would wins be enough you think?

Part of my post in the thread: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...volving-your-club.687039/page-4#post-32911358

I was'nt confident. Did'nt want to go. My wife dragged me there anyway.We sat down at the fence.Midway through the 3rd quarter of an inept, spineless performance, Chris Judd told a player ( who shall remain nameless ) to "go onto McVeigh" who was running riot at the time.
Said player replied: "What's the point ? Who cares?"
Keeping Sydney scoreless in the last quarter made it worse.
He did'nt care. There was still 30 or so minutes of play left and he was already planning mad Monday.If he did'nt care, why should I, in my 41st year of supporting the club ?
I did'nt include last Sunday's effort ( ? ) against Essendon as I did'nt see any of it. If I had, the '99 GF would'nt be listed above.

I've copped it from so many friends for questioning my devotion to Carlton.No doubt I'll cop it here too, hence why I very rarely enter into these sections of the site.
All I ask,as a person who has'nt watched a game this year, is:
Has anything happened this year to warrant me coming back ?

Nah, just stay away mate. The club doesn't need supporters during the tough times, they really only need people to jump on the bandwagon when things are going good. So in the meantime just stay away and then come back when everything is sweet!

If you were to come back and I imagine by your original question that that is an option, what sort of things would have to take place other than wins? Or would wins be enough you think?
I had the shits with a club I'd followed for 41 years because a player could'nt be bothered to have a go when a game could still be rescued.Losses happen, but when your team tries its arse off and still comes up short, you sit back and accept that it just was'nt your day.When a player does'nt care, it smacks of disrespect for the club he represents, his coach, his teammates and himself.If one player is like that, how many others are there ? I'll take more than my current passing interest when reports about Carlton's performance indicate that nobody gave up, no matter how dire the circumstances were.

But you're not going to judge for yourself, just have messages posted in for you? You must have seen a lot of Carlton success over the years though. Did you really hear a player say that cause I sort of don't believe anyone would say that particularly to Judd.

Nah, just stay away mate. The club doesn't need supporters during the tough times, they really only need people to jump on the bandwagon when things are going good. So in the meantime just stay away and then come back when everything is sweet!
FFS, paid-up member since 1988.Loads of years I was'nt able to even see one match live for my money.Been some tough times over those years boy.Never once did I suspect that they just "gave up".Until last year.Losing I can handle.Wooden spoons are bitter pills that I've swallowed.Someone I invested membership in gave up, why could'nt I ?

But you're not going to judge for yourself, just have messages posted in for you? You must have seen a lot of Carlton success over the years though. Did you really hear a player say that cause I sort of don't believe anyone would say that particularly to Judd.
Yeah I heard it alright.......

FFS, paid-up member since 1988.Loads of years I was'nt able to even see one match live for my money.Been some tough times over those years boy.Never once did I suspect that they just "gave up".Until last year.Losing I can handle.Wooden spoons are bitter pills that I've swallowed.Someone I invested membership in gave up, why could'nt I ?

Ummm, I guess I just think your story is made up. Anyway, it is your choice and best wishes with whatever you choose to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back