News Carlton to field standalone Reserves Side in 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

This announcement and the other announcement today that the AFLW and VFLW seasons are aligning so players not getting a game in the top side can get a game and put their hand up in the ressies, are music to my ears.
Another great move, will make a massive difference for the girls who miss selection but can actually play at the lower level, game fitness and form creates some depth...

Definitely an interesting comment in the press release by Brad Lloyd in regards to the streamlining of the football department, in particular the coaching area.

This year we had a Head of Development (Luke Power) and 2 development coaches (Daniel O'Keefe - def & Jason Davenport - fwd). I think Davenport was even stood down during COVID shutdown and I'm not sure if/when he resumed. We never bothered to fill Stanton's old role of midfield development coach when he was promoted in the reshuffle after Bolton's departure.

Hopefully this announcement means we can begin shuffling our assistant coaching ranks.

Would Luke Power be head coach of the VFL team as he is the Head of Development, or will we hire a designated VFL coach - replacing Josh Fraser's

This is how it’s worked at other clubs

9e20e8bdd5aeb8debffd2e6f6275796c

reckon I'll eventually get used to watching a broadcast from Southport rather than a 10 goal wind advantage at point gellibrand or port Melbourne.
I doubt we will play Southport.
There is only 16 rounds from April so there is at least 5 teams you will not play.
I think what they will do in those 16 rounds is make sure Southport and Aspley play themselves twice, Brisbane and Gold Coast probably twice too, to ensure at least 6 of their games are in Queensland and then of the other 10 games, 5 or 6 are home games against of which one of those would be against Giants or Swans which only leaves a few clubs out of the 16 Victoria based clubs to play in Southport. Even then I think it more likely to be a Sandringham, Box Hill or Casey playing them there.

They should split the 22 teams into two ladders of 11 with AFL reserve teams on one ladder and the other 11 on the other ladder. A bit similar to how they do the AFLW season in recent years, As it is only 16 rounds I would also expect the finals will be funky and longer than normal so you might simply eliminate the bottom 3 teams from the premiership race at end of those 16 rounds and the top 8 from both ladders then each play a final 8 series for four weeks before the grand final is the winner from both groups.

I doubt we will play Southport.
There is only 16 rounds from April so there is at least 5 teams you will not play.
I think what they will do in those 16 rounds is make sure Southport and Aspley play themselves twice, Brisbane and Gold Coast probably twice too, to ensure at least 6 of their games are in Queensland and then of the other 10 games, 5 or 6 are home games against of which one of those would be against Giants or Swans which only leaves a few clubs out of the 16 Victoria based clubs to play in Southport. Even then I think it more likely to be a Sandringham, Box Hill or Casey playing them there.
As much as it would be nice to see our reserves playing at Southport or Aspley, I think you're right with what you are suggesting.

Pitting Southport & Aspley against the AFL's Victorian based reserves teams could result in the former being on the wrong end of some very one-sided contests against the stronger AFL reserves teams. It will most likely be the VFL teams you have mentioned, along with the likes of Williamstown, Port Melbourne, Werribee, Coburg & Frankston who will predominantly be fixtured to play Southport & Aspley.

The real positive for Southport & Aspley should be the opportunity to recruit players who are yet to crack an AFL list & want the opportunity to play at the next level to boost their chances of finding their way onto an AFL list much like Gibbons, Saad, Lambert have done in recent years etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you include a pic of a work experience kid by mistake?

Lacking in experience it seems - 3 years coaching before us, never played senior footy.

We're not in a position to criticise appointments, however I'm somewhat wary with our recent approach of promoting untried candidates into important roles.

Did you include a pic of a work experience kid by mistake?

Lacking in experience it seems - 3 years coaching before us, never played senior footy.

We're not in a position to criticise appointments, however I'm somewhat wary with our recent approach of promoting untried candidates into important roles.

No I don't make mistakes. :D

I'll be interested to see if the AFL treat this as a 'competition' or just glorified practice matches. Stoked to have control over a reserves team again, but (due to dollars, distance etc) it's probably going to wash out that there are 8 or 9 of the 22 sides we don't play in a season. Seems a weird way to set up a competition.

Will they be playing home games at Princes Park? If so, i wonder if we can get the Preston Market donut van there for home games.
Half a dozen of those delicious, jam filled doughy balls of goodness was a highlight of my trips to Cramer st.

You could just go to the game via Vic Market............

Probably addressed in the thread but not sure how standalone teams work with meeting required number of players.

Do we recruit players to top up our reserves team? If so I would have thought this is the way to go with the likes of BSOS etc. Develop them in our system for a couple years then recruit when more ready made.

Probably addressed in the thread but not sure how standalone teams work with meeting required number of players.

Do we recruit players to top up our reserves team? If so I would have thought this is the way to go with the likes of BSOS etc. Develop them in our system for a couple years then recruit when more ready made.
They have a cap of $100, 000 to pay players outside the listed players. New system so, no idea who will be interested and where they will come from: offer of jobs? Connections with other local clubs?

You’d imagine that there would be at least 10 listed players available most weeks so the rest comes from the cap acquisitions.

As for training, there would have to be some symmetry for a unified game plan and development approach.

I think I read somewhere that clubs will have access to some NAB League U18 players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back