Carlton - turning the corner?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
Since Teague took over, Carlton have won 4 of their past 6 including two great wins interstate.

A bit of luck and could have won past 6 as those 2 losses were both under a goal.

Noteworthy is that they haven’t been relying on their best player Cripps but getting effort across the board

False dawn or are we seeing the Carlton ship starting to turn?

They still need much more in midfield as they have improved with putting Murf and Curnow back in there, need some more high end talent in there to really move up next couple of years

Since Teague took over, Carlton have won 4 of their past 6 including two great wins interstate.

A bit of luck and could have won past 6 as those 2 losses were both under a goal.

Noteworthy is that they haven’t been relying on their best player Cripps but getting effort across the board

False dawn or are we seeing the Carlton ship starting to turn?

Voss to take the head job at carlton
Ken to follow and support as chief orange quarterer and bucket carrying man

Teague to Port

I don't reckon you can really tell yet to be honest. I think they are still in a bit of a honeymoon period with the new caretaker coach. The club is united, they've simplified their game plan and the players can play more instinctive footy. What will happen in the preseason is a new coach will be appointed (maybe Teague maybe not) but this simple game plan they are playing will go out the window as they are drilled in a full new gamestyle. The real litmus test won't come til next year.

However, I will say I reckon they have improved somewhat because of one key statistic. Their % is at ~86%. That's a good sign of a generally competitive bottom side. I expect that % to fall somewhat as they do still need to play Eagles, Richmond, Geelong and Adelaide. Last year they finished on 59% so even if this year ends up mid to high 70s that's still a pretty big improvement. Plus obviously 5 wins compared to 2. I don't know why but 5 wins seems significant to me. If you are in that 2-4 win bracket it feels like you are a hopeless basketcase but once you start getting 5-6 wins+ you are suddenly just a regular bottom team.

I don't know why but 5 wins seems significant to me. If you are in that 2-4 win bracket it feels like you are a hopeless basketcase but once you start getting 5-6 wins+ you are suddenly just a regular bottom team.

I have been yearning for the days when we are just a regular bottom team again.... ;)

Already a success. For now anyway. If Teague or whoever is in charge got 4 wins for the remainder of 2019 and 2020 that would have been better than what Bolton achieved. They've acquired that in 6 games and as you mentioned, could have won the other two.

Looking like theyre on the way up to me.

we're a bit thin in the midfield still

as well as the close losses under teague, we lost close ones earlier after being in front. GC took the lead in the last minute, lead hawks most of the day, were 2 goals up on collingwood halfway through the last. teague has not yet had his pants pulled down like bolton earlier in the year, but we're about to run up against some stiffer competition in the run home which will give a true test. we play geelong last, in what could be another carlton last-round smashing that has been a regular feature of our team in the last 15 years.

They still need much more in midfield as they have improved with putting Murf and Curnow back in there, need some more high end talent in there to really move up next couple of years
Hopefully this run of form tips the scales when we go hunting a Shiel, Rockliff, etc because that is what the midfield needs another middle aged quality mid.

It has become mainstream opinion that Teague has freed them up to play as they are currently. Teague himself differs: he said the main difference now is no more do your best, replaced with must do. It is higher standards being set and not accepting a good attempt. Carlton is not being freed up, they are being pushed to perform better with higher non-negotiable goals.

Was ridiculous that they were pushed to the forward line earlier in the season.

The kids are fine to develop elsewhere. Dow playing forward will learn how to hit the scoreboard at AFL level and Petrevski-Seton has been playing all over the place and is learning to read the play better.

Would love a Coniglio or even just a Curnow/Murphy type player to come to Carlton in October. But if it doesn’t happen I still think we’ll be a better midfield next season. Would expect a Dow, SPS or a Fisher to take a big step next season. SPS would be the one I’d put my money on.

Next year is a big one for them.

Question marks over their young brigade remain.

Setterfield, Kennedy, Lang, LOB and Dow need to show something in the midfield to give Cripps and the older guys some support.

McGovern, JSOS, Plowman need to be more consistent.

McKay, CCurnow, Weitering need to continue to develop to be the players that Blues fans think they can be - absolute match winners.

Cuningham and Williamson need to get on the park.

Walsh needs to have the high expectations of supporters taken off him. He’s doing fantastically well as he is without the pressure of being touted as a future Brownlow medalist.

There’s a few more that really need to be pushing to play some games next year to put pressure on the 22.

A long way to go but if all of them develop Carlton will have some side in the next few years, hence the supporter optimism. I’m not sold on a lot of these guys yet though. Hopefully for Blues fans the coaching staff gets the very best out of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very happy with how we have gone under Teague so far. The idea of winning 4 more games the rest of the season, let alone our next 6 after the Essendon game was a pipe dream.

We have another 5 to go, and play the way we have been, we will win another 2 or even 3.

It’s been a few things which have worked for us, Teague coaching to our strengths, cohesiveness improving as the side plays more together, older guys getting a new lease of life now the side is competitive again as well.

It’s an ideal platform to hopefully attract a decent mature age player or 2 and push into mid table next season.

Next year is a big one for them.

Question marks over their young brigade remain.

Setterfield, Kennedy, Lang, LOB and Dow need to show something in the midfield to give Cripps and the older guys some support.

McGovern, JSOS, Plowman need to be more consistent.

McKay, CCurnow, Weitering need to continue to develop to be the players that Blues fans think they can be - absolute match winners.

Cuningham and Williamson need to get on the park.

Walsh needs to have the high expectations of supporters taken off him. He’s doing fantastically well as he is without the pressure of being touted as a future Brownlow medalist.

There’s a few more that really need to be pushing to play some games next year to put pressure on the 22.

A long way to go but if all of them develop Carlton will have some side in the next few years, hence the supporter optimism. I’m not sold on a lot of these guys yet though. Hopefully for Blues fans the coaching staff gets the very best out of them.

With those younger guys, I’m very confident with most of them.

Kennedy seems to have found a niche as a 3rd forward.

Setterfield building ok, should be better after another pre season.

Lang can hopefully be handy depth if not more.

Dow still developing, needs to lift and get more of the ball, but still only 19.

LOB has been encouraging under Teague.

McGovern needs to pull his finger out with a big pre season.

JSOS has been very good the last month, being rotated between midfield and forward line.

Plowman has had a good year too, done good jobs on small forwards.

Weiters has had an excellent year. McKay developing nicely, and Charlie can hopefully have a big season next year if he’s not hampered by injury setbacks.

Cuningham and Williamson I fear will never get a decent run at it as their bodies don’t seem to be able to hold up. Definitely worth persisting with for another year or two as they clearly can play.

Solid state league mids in Gibbons and now Deluca are very handy for us, and are the types we should of targeted at least 1-2 years earlier.

I think what it highlights is how important it is to get some class in the midfield. We lost Gibbs, Docherty was supposed to transition into mid and missed out on both Shiel and Rockliff.

If we can somehow snag Coniglio and get Docherty in there, think we can really achieve something next year. Obviously there needs to be natural improvement.

A midfield of Coniglio, Cripps, Walsh, Murph, Curnow, Docherty, Fisher, SPS is pretty decent

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I like what I'm seeing but we need to give it more time before we make a call.

Let's not forge that at the halfway mark of his first season Boltons Carlton looked set for finals, having won 6 of the last 7 games.

clubs often go through a honeymoon phase when a new coach takes over but the jury is still out, as it is for North and St Kilda.

signs are good though.

Haven’t watched every game under Teague but I do like keeping an eye on as I love watching Cripps, but the noticeable thing is they’re much stronger in the middle and they are playing a more attacking brand of football with an emphasis on a hard forward press.

Whether I am right or wrong I don’t know. Just a brief point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back