Coach Carlton under Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Carlton will be there come finals. But I don't think they'll go all the way unless the planets align. Right now it's Melbourne, saints and freo that are the top teams.
Geelong, Sydney and Brisbane are still ahead of us I think, and Geelong will probably show that this week.

Geelong, Sydney and Brisbane are still ahead of us I think, and Geelong will probably show that this week.
The thing about Geelong though, is that I think we'll no longer have to worry about any ascendancy after this year, as the dream will be over, and the geriatrics will retire to their aged homes!

We've had more Carlton supporters on our board being arrogant f-wits this week than we've had opposition supporters in any other week this year, including the derby.

Mind you, you're probably right in saying that's just standard for Carlton supporters.
If Carlton fans are on Freo threads acting like idiots than they deserve to be called out.

Have they, though? Their second half performances haven't been great this year:

R1: 9.8 (62) to 7.3 (45)
R2: 4.2 (26) to 6.9 (45)
R3: 2.3 (15) to 7.2 (44)

R4: 3.9 (27) to 6.7 (43)
R5: 2.4 (16) to 9.8 (62)
R6: 5.3 (33) to 7.7 (49)

This appears to be a team that only knows how to play one or two quarters of good footy and they almost always turn off in the second half. Good teams don't do that. Their single good performance in the second half came in round 1 when they kicked seven consecutive goals in the fourth quarter to snatch the win from Richmond but every other game this year they've fallen off in the second half.

It's a concerning trend but they've got North Melbourne next week so that will likely be a big win and the media will jump back on the Carlton bandwagon. I'm more interested in how they go in the following month against Adelaide, GWS, Sydney and Collingwood.
Obviously not a trend that we'd like to continue, but a couple of new key players and a new game plan run by a virtually completely new coaching group (not just Voss). There will obviously be learning curves, hiccups and fade outs along the way. It's good to remember that there's still room for improvement from this group as the main core players learn to gel and become more accustomed to Voss' style/game plan, but while we're going through this learning curve, we're still managing to win for the most part.

Pointless looking at the second halves in isolation (which have been terrible), without looking at the first halves (which have been great). Especially when those first halves have been good enough to get 4 wins from 6 games.
There's work to be done and this clearly isn't the finished product, but it's easier to work on these things while still getting the wins and the wins aren't papering over the cracks.
We've had Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Kennedy, Pittonet, Saad, SOS, Martin, Gov, McDonald all miss games. We haven't been able to fill or settle on any solid wing players. We're itching to get Stocker, Kemp, Carroll, Motlop and Honey into the side.
Plenty of up side still to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton has spent all its money on glitz and glamour. The bottom end is sub-AFL standard.

This will take time.

We just need to play guys like Carroll, Kemp, Philp instead of Newnes, Cottrell, Setterfield on the wings. Stocker has also been back playing for a few weeks and we are playing Jordan Boyd ahead of him.

We need Gov back in our backline and we should be okay. Josh Honey into our forwards to replace Fisher or Martin. Our current bottom 6 is not good but there are long term replacements waiting for a chance.

Pittonet's injury will be a significant test for Voss. He is by no means an A-grader, but he has been critical to Voss' gameplan of winning the clearances. The team's ruck stocks are poor and De Koning is still learning the ruck craft. I definitely subscribe to the theory that we are looking better under Voss and if Teague was still coaching we are likely to be 0-6 or 1-5 at best.

A lot of football to still play out and Carlton could just as easily slip down to the bottom third of the ladder by season's end, or equally maintain its position and sneak into the finals. Time will tell.

Midtable and probably finals I reckon. Very good clearance side, and have a brilliant spine with McKay, Curnow, Cripps, Walsh and Weitering. But won't impact while they leak goals or allow run-ons the way they do.
Spot on, 7th-9th.

On paper good enough to challenge most, but still bedding down a game plan and unable to sustain pressure over 4 quarters.

Our best has looked elite, worst has been shocking. Like the polarities under Teague have shifted even further.

Can’t fault the effort, the technical side needs a lot of work however.

Your reputation preceded you and you didn't disappoint.

Pittonet is an order of magnitude greater in impact than the next best ruckman and sets up so much of the play from the first moment. His loss changes Carlton's entire season.

Quite a horrible loss.
Agreed.

Not a great tap ruckman, but always full of effort, laid tackles, stayed close to ground level to keep pressure on our opponents and even started winning clearances himself.

Suited the way Voss wanted to play and was just hitting his prime.

TDK is great athletically, but not a natural footballer and lacks the physicality of a 1st choice ruckman.

Agreed.

Not a great tap ruckman, but always full of effort, laid tackles, stayed close to ground level to keep pressure on our opponents and even started winning clearances himself.

Suited the way Voss wanted to play and was just hitting his prime.

TDK is great athletically, but not a natural footballer and lacks the physicality of a 1st choice ruckman.

He might not look like a great tap ruckman but he was way, WAY above the next best in hitouts to advantage. It's what set up so much of Carlton's scoring from stoppages.

It's looking like the rest of the season will need to be building a side of the game to score from the back half and generating front half turnovers. If Ed Curnow can get back to fitness and into the side his contested ball winning in the middle could go some way to countering that void.

You were right that Carlton could really do with winger competition, they are going to be really important over the next three months.

He might not look like a great tap ruckman but he was way, WAY above the next best in hitouts to advantage. It's what set up so much of Carlton's scoring from stoppages.

It's looking like the rest of the season will need to be building a side of the game to score from the back half and generating front half turnovers. If Ed Curnow can get back to fitness and into the side his contested ball winning in the middle could go some way to countering that void.

You were right that Carlton could really do with winger competition, they are going to be really important over the next three months.
If the next best is TDK that doesn’t surprise me in the slightest.

As good as Pitto has been a huge part of him improving has purely been having a competent set of mids at his feet. He hasn’t smacked it out of the park with smart, well-executed taps, our mids have just been good at reading what he’s doing.

Ed is probably done as a best 22 player. Adding him makes us even slower, and Kennedy making way this week is showing the MC is concerned about having too many one-paced inside mids in the mix.

Think the overall quality of our midfield can make up for Pitto, but there are going to be weeks we get smacked around by a physical tap ruckman eg Witts in the Gold Coast game.

Clearly things have changed. And I’d assume it’s both coaching and personnel but they are seriously good around the ball with contested footy (midfield) (ranked 5th).

Pretty good team they’ve put together really just need a bit of luck on the injury front and they will put a 8-10 game winning streak together at some stage this year or next and be right back in the hunt

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back