Autopsy Carlton v Essendon Practice Match - We won:- 14.11 (95) to 11.8 (74)!

May 1, 2002
AFL Club
Carlton
I’m critical of umps, especially ones that over officiate, must be a bloody tough gig sometimes though...

Constant rule changes, some open to interpretation, all whilst many fans are out for blood...

Devils advocate on this;
Watching the Essendon example, the player takes 3 to 4 steps to his right and doesn't even dispose the ball. Now the player on the mark did the same, which is a penalty in this case, but my question, if the player with the ball leaves his line without disposing off the ball, why isn't play on?

Nov 5, 2012
Canberra
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
There can be only 1
See this were the umpires need to do their jobs.
If a player deviates off his mark, they need to call play on and fairly quickly, in which case it allows the man on the mark to also move off the mark. The umpires need to be watching the kicker as well as the man on the mark!!!
Good luck, as they will only be concentrating on the one individual.......
there are more than one umpire on the field these days.
Why can they coordinate and the one who sets the mark watches the kicker to determine when they have moved off and another to watch the action of the marker.
That way the first umpire has no change to what they have always been doing.

TD2010

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
See this were the umpires need to do their jobs.
If a player deviates off his mark, they need to call play on and fairly quickly, in which case it allows the man on the mark to also move off the mark. The umpires need to be watching the kicker as well as the man on the mark!!!
Good luck, as they will only be concentrating on the one individual.......
Buddy exception withstanding, where he can deviate away

TD2010

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
This game will mean little as a team, more significant for individuals hoping to fit into a team context and sheep’s capacity. Both teams will rest stars early. End will be an anticlimax after 6 quarters. Looking to see if we debut a more attacking style and see if Saad, Williams, Walsh et. al. take on the man on the mark rule.
I think the midfield will play more than not, wanting to build chemistry

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Brezsa

Club Legend
Mar 10, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Devils advocate on this;
Watching the Essendon example, the player takes 3 to 4 steps to his right and doesn't even dispose the ball. Now the player on the mark did the same, which is a penalty in this case, but my question, if the player with the ball leaves his line without disposing off the ball, why isn't play on?
It should have been play on, but it’s not play on until the umpire calls it. So if you are on the mark, no point watching the player with the ball, watch the umpire

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
This game will mean little as a team, more significant for individuals hoping to fit into a team context and sheep’s capacity. Both teams will rest stars early. End will be an anticlimax after 6 quarters. Looking to see if we debut a more attacking style and see if Saad, Williams, Walsh et. al. take on the man on the mark rule.
I think parts of the game may fall into that category, say the last 2 periods if it's a 6 period game like last year against Collingwood, but with only the 2 hitouts against opposition before round 1 there isn't as much time to let everyone have a serious go and move the magnets too much.

It's not like a few years back when there was intraclubs then a scratch match against opposition before 3 or so official preseason games. Felt like most teams for the old NAB/JLT preseason games would more or less put players 23-44 out for the 1st game, 13-34 for the 2nd and 1-22 for the last, pending injury availability of course. You saw the new draftees and fringe players in the early games but it wasn't until the last one you'd have the stars out there playing in their normal positions.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
I don't get why they're restricting this stream to members only? It's already on at an awkward time for most to be able to watch and at a time when we are heavily recruiting members, any little bit of live action would only help to whet the appetite.
Do they think people are going to sign up JUST to watch the practice match?
Open it up to everyone (wider audience), get some sponsorship involved somehow and try to show some membership ads during the stream. Just seems kinda counter-intuitive to our current mantra of inclusiveness.

Big_Luch

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't get why they're restricting this stream to members only? It's already on at an awkward time for most to be able to watch and at a time when we are heavily recruiting members, any little bit of live action would only help to whet the appetite.
Do they think people are going to sign up JUST to watch the practice match?
Open it up to everyone (wider audience), get some sponsorship involved somehow and try to show some membership ads during the stream. Just seems kinda counter-intuitive to our current mantra of inclusiveness.
It's value adding to the membership and the live feed could probably only handle X amount of people on it at once.

I'm no tech person though.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
It's value adding to the membership and the live feed could probably only handle X amount of people on it at once.

I'm no tech person though.
11am on a Thursday? How many people are going to get 'value' out of that?
Pretty sure we have the infrastructure to stream games to a fairly wide audience.

Big_Luch

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Pretty sure we have the infrastructure to stream games to a fairly wide audience.
I could use the same arguement opening it up to anybody would not 'wet people's appetites because it's 11am on a Thursday.
Nba league pass can struggle in big games at the end of the 4 qtr so whatever budget stream would struggle, no point streaming it it lags for everybody.

Baggers

All Australian
Oct 6, 2003
Under your bed
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Buddy exception withstanding, where he can deviate away
Beat me to it.
I still wonder why it's regarded as Buddy's "natural arc" and ok, but is always play on whenever anyone else does it. Surely there must be other players out there that have this natural arc?
Gonna be a lot of 50m penalties this year.

SammaGilberto

Premiership Player
May 2, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I could use the same arguement opening it up to anybody would not 'wet people's appetites because it's 11am on a Thursday.
Nba league pass can struggle in big games at the end of the 4 qtr so whatever budget stream would struggle, no point streaming it it lags for everybody.
Ignoring the streaming issue, that argument doesn't hold up.
Let's say, for argument's sake, out of 70k members, 10% are in a position to be able to watch the game in it's awkward timeslot. That's 7,000 already paid up members getting some 'extra value' and 63,000 members not getting it.
Let's say there's another 400k casual fans across the country who, for whatever reasons (previous membership lapsed, can't afford it, never been priority, always put on the backburner, can't get to games, etc), haven't signed up, but only 5% of those were in a position to watch the game IF it was available to stream for all and sundry. That's an extra audience of 28,000 potential members, and I doubt you would get a single paid up member complaining that the stream should be exclusive for members only so they can get some extra value.

If we have a good game and 10% of those casual fans decide that this is the year they are going to pull their finger out and get a membership, that's an extra couple thousand members and $$$ into the club. It's seriously a free hit for the club in terms of membership drive, which has virtually zero impact in the current format of restricting it to members.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC

Agreed, the timing is going to put off plenty who'd like to watch due to work etc, but could be a nice way of bringing in some who are sitting on the fence about buying a membership.

The Hawks are streaming their pre-pre season match against the Bulldogs and will likely get some members as a result. (They are playing reasonably well)

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Not sure to be honest, probably key highlights, but I would hazard a guess that the YouTube channel "Carlton Blues Fans" that uploads old Carlton games will probably upload it!
I might have to subscribe to their YT to make sure I don't miss it if it gets uploaded.

My boss just scheduled a quarterly review with me starting at 11am tomorrow...

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Agreed, the timing is going to put off plenty who'd like to watch due to work etc, but could be a nice way of bringing in some who are sitting on the fence about buying a membership.

The Hawks are streaming their pre-pre season match against the Bulldogs and will likely get some members as a result. (They are playing reasonably well)
Yeah, I don't want to push the issue any more than I already have. At the end of the day, I'm in a lucky position to be a paid up member who now works full-time from home, so I can watch it, but I don't see any added 'value' in it for me, but I do see it as a free hit for the club in their membership drive and a no-brainer really.

Macca43

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
It should have been play on, but it’s not play on until the umpire calls it. So if you are on the mark, no point watching the player with the ball, watch the umpire
I remembering playing a game at a lower level where the player with the ball kept moving sideways so I (being on the mark) moved sideways and after the third time I asked the umpire when he was going to call play on and was told "you keep moving the mark".

You never really know what an umpire is thinking.

HaydossJ

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Hoping/excited to see the following:

- Dow and Stocker in midfield roles
- Saad, Williams and Fogarty
- Durdin and Fisher partnership
- Inside midfield version of Walsh
- Offensive game plan with no Casboult, McG, or Charlie - will we still bomb it aimlessly out of stoppage?
- Harry kicking 7

Back