Autopsy Carlton v Essendon Practice Match - We won:- 14.11 (95) to 11.8 (74)!

Remove this Banner Ad

Gibbons is interesting.

Personally I don't rate him as much as others but he has a bit of a cult following and some supporters seem to really appreciate what he brings to the team. So maybe I need a Michael Gibbons 101 course to educate and inspire me.

I find him very inconsistent and can't work out where he fits in the midfield as his small forward career in navy blue has been disappointing. I don't see much X factor or see a specific trait that makes me think only Michael Gibbons can do that and he should be played every week.

He hardly played against Ess so I suspect he has dropped down the depth chart a bit since last year. The inconsistency is my major issue with him. Consistency as a team has been our biggest problem quarter to quarter, game to game, all of last year (happened again yesterday but the win kind of sugar coats it) and I can't understand why players who are consistently inconsistent are considered. Say that as fast as you can 100 times!

Last year, I assumed that Gibbons was doing something worthy that I can't see and that the coaches love. Can someone who rates our #40 give me a quick rundown on why he should be played? Maybe I will come around.
He is consistent
Runs all day, gets over 20 disposals, puts on defensive pressure and can kick goals
Nothing special but a regular contributor who brings energy.
Nothing more to it from my perspective

He is consistent
Runs all day, gets over 20 disposals, puts on defensive pressure and can kick goals
Nothing special but a regular contributor who brings energy.
Nothing more to it from my perspective
Last year he got over 20 possessions just once but had under 10 3 times and went goalless 6 times in 17 games and kicked more than 1 goal just twice.

Last year he got over 20 possessions just once but had under 10 3 times and went goalless 6 times in 17 games and kicked more than 1 goal just twice.
Averages 14 touches and just under a goal a game for his career.

He's a role player, was recruited as one; will likely never be anything more. We have enough 'potential' A-graders running around creating a highlight reel. If Gibbons can get 12-18 creative touches a game and bob up with a goal then he's the perfect little hard-working high half forward.

Last year’s 20 were worth 30. I was going to say 15 but translated to 20 for full games.
He goals in 11 of 17 games. I’d say that supports he can kick goals
Not quite. Assuming the same TOG% played then 2020's 15 & 20 would be 18.75 & 25 respectively. The 2020 equivalent of 30 was 24.

Last year’s 20 were worth 30. I was going to say 15 but translated to 20 for full games.
He goals in 11 of 17 games. I’d say that supports he can kick goals
But does it support he is consistent?

FWIW in 2019 he got 20 possessions 4 times and 10 or fewer 3 times while going goalless 8 times in 21 games.

Over his career he has played 36 games for an average of 14 possessions and 0.8 goals a game. Had 20 or more touches 5 times, less than 10 or less 6 times and gone goalless 14 times in 36 games.

Bingo.👍

He took a kick out in the 3rd, played on, ran his 15, then hit Cripps near enough to the centre with a 60 metre drill.....took about 5 seconds.

Saad’s our kick out guy every time.

Not every time, but I suspect he'll take his share.

Should be some set plays coming from the kick-ins to make it difficult for opposition sides to defend. There'll be the Saad blitz to try and clear the zone, probably a short pass from someone like Plow or Doc to then try and draw an opponent or two back, hopefully some corridor bullets from Willo. Make sure we're not predictable with where the ball is going to be going.

Averages 14 touches and just under a goal a game for his career.

He's a role player, was recruited as one; will likely never be anything more. We have enough 'potential' A-graders running around creating a highlight reel. If Gibbons can get 12-18 creative touches a game and bob up with a goal then he's the perfect little hard-working high half forward.

He's a solid depth player.

For me, when we're picking our 22nd player, I'm putting Cunners in ahead of Gibbo

Not quite. Assuming the same TOG% played then 2020's 15 & 20 would be 18.75 & 25 respectively. The 2020 equivalent of 30 was 24.

Could easily argue his fitness base would put him in good stead to benefit more from longer quarters than someone like Dow or SPS.

Honestly though, if we're quibbling over 18.5 disposals vs 20 disposals then we're probably missing the point.

Gibbons isn't a big accumulator of the pill, but he does seem to have a knack for bobbing up on a regular basis in good positions. He's not as firmly cemented in my team now as he was 3 months ago, but I still think he plays enough of a role to be in the mix. I reckon he saw a fair bit of ball in our slower transition plays last year, while this year he's going to need to become a bit of a front-runner and get on his bike ahead of the ball otherwise it'll shoot past him.

Outrageous that these footsoilders/depth players are racking up games when fit.

Someone needs to be sacked

I dare say if Gibbo was put n the gutz ... he would consistently rack up 8-10 clearances a game..... dual J.J Liston Medallist.

2016 J.J. Liston Trophy winner: Michael Gibbons - VFL

" He averaged 29 disposals, seven clearances and six inside-50s per game, and was the VFL’s top-ranked player for total disposals, uncontested possessions and inside-50s during the home-and-away season. "

Real fringe type player there Azza ;)

I dare say if Gibbo was put n the gutz ... he would consistently rack up 8-10 clearances a game..... dual J.J Liston Medallist.

" He averaged 29 disposals, seven clearances and six inside-50s per game, and was the VFL’s top-ranked player for total disposals, uncontested possessions and inside-50s during the home-and-away season. "

He's not an AFL mid.
He's got the nous to be a gun mid in the VFL, but lacks the size or pace or elite kick to be in the guts at the top level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's not an AFL mid.
He's got the nous to be a gun mid in the VFL, but lacks the size or pace or elite kick to be in the guts at the top level.

Yet his stats last year were better than Cuners in a similar position, yet you would have Cuners ahead of him "22nd" spot.

Based on what?

But does it support he is consistent?

FWIW in 2019 he got 20 possessions 4 times and 10 or fewer 3 times while going goalless 8 times in 21 games.

Over his career he has played 36 games for an average of 14 possessions and 0.8 goals a game. Had 20 or more touches 5 times, less than 10 or less 6 times and gone goalless 14 times in 36 games.
Yes he is consistent and last year he played higher up the ground I’d translate those stats into 20 a game this year.
2019 he was pretty much a defensive forward (in an ordinary team) so stats were lower.
He’s nothing flash but I think he is consistent. He may not always get a game as others improve but I think he is reliable which is an asset.

I thought 30 was a stretch but 20 was pretty close. I didn’t crunch the numbers. My main point stands Gibbons will give you a consistent contribution and adds value as a result.

Plenty of elite AFL talent on this list ;)

Based on explosiveness, size, danger, ability to make a game changing play.

All true in characteristics, yet his output/stats suggests his impact is inferior of Gibbons

I think no matter what the likes of Gibbons, Newnes types do, you will always find a "better option".

But you are not alone

Last edited:
He's not an AFL mid.
He hasn’t really been given the chance to prove that. People love to bring up Cuners 28 touch game against the bombers last year as a reason he should get midfield time. Gibbons had 25 in the same game.

If you look at the Carlton season review for Gibbo last year you’ll actually see the word “consistent” used numerous times. He doesn’t have any real “sexy” attributes, but he’s a strong runner, isn’t slow, can kick on both feet, and can find the goals.

He’s never going to be an all-Australian, but he’s missed 3 games in the 2 years he’s played at the club (all due to injury if I’m not mistaken). If he gets pushed out we’re flying.

Could easily argue his fitness base would put him in good stead to benefit more from longer quarters than someone like Dow or SPS.

Honestly though, if we're quibbling over 18.5 disposals vs 20 disposals then we're probably missing the point.

Gibbons isn't a big accumulator of the pill, but he does seem to have a knack for bobbing up on a regular basis in good positions. He's not as firmly cemented in my team now as he was 3 months ago, but I still think he plays enough of a role to be in the mix. I reckon he saw a fair bit of ball in our slower transition plays last year, while this year he's going to need to become a bit of a front-runner and get on his bike ahead of the ball otherwise it'll shoot past him.
It wasn't really 18.5 to 20, the original statement was Last year’s 20 were worth 30. That's hardly accurate.

He's still in my team for now, as the 7th forward on the bench. We'll see how he goes next Thursday (as well as Cuningham, Fogarty, Stocker, Silvagni, etc) and if that changes things. Before yesterday I had him in the HHF role that I've now got Murph penciled in for.

Yesterday was a tough one to judge, I liked what I saw but he had minimal minutes which could either mean he's on the fringe or the coaches know what he can do so they opted to give the time on field to Cuningham, Fogarty, etc and see what they'd produce.

But last year Gibbo was on a $70k rookie deal whereas McGovern was on $700k and in 3 games didn't touch the ball till after half time . He was getting over $10k per kick all year . Give me Gibbo any day he worked hard to get where he is and continues to give 110% every week but McGovern sometimes looks like he couldn't care about whether we get beat by one point or 100 just as long as he gets that fat contract ( pun intended ) .

He's a solid depth player.

For me, when we're picking our 22nd player, I'm putting Cunners in ahead of Gibbo
Based on explosiveness, size, danger, ability to make a game changing play.
So potential attributes > output?

We ain't rebuilding anymore. Gibbons has Cunningham covered in output and confidence thus far in their careers.

It wasn't really 18.5 to 20, the original statement was Last year’s 20 were worth 30. That's hardly accurate.

He's still in my team for now, as the 7th forward on the bench. We'll see how he goes next Thursday (as well as Cuningham, Fogarty, Stocker, Silvagni, etc) and if that changes things. Before yesterday I had him in the HHF role that I've now got Murph penciled in for.

Yesterday was a tough one to judge, I liked what I saw but he had minimal minutes which could either mean he's on the fringe or the coaches know what he can do so they opted to give the time on field to Cuningham, Fogarty, etc and see what they'd produce.

Difficult to try and mind read but if we consider the other 2 players who had similar game time I don't think many would have either in their best 22 - is that a clue?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back