Autopsy Carlton v Essendon Practice Match - We won:- 14.11 (95) to 11.8 (74)!

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
A beesdick off 3.
Stiff,
2015 Premiership player
2015 Norm Goss BOG grand final
2016 Liston Medal VFL B&F
2016 Frank Johnson BOG medalist state game winner against SA
2016/17/18 VFL team of the year
2017 State representative
2017 JJ Liston VFL Runner up
2018 Williamstown B&F
2018 JJ Liston VFL B&F

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
Some thoughts....

I suspect Murph may take Gibbo’s high half forward spot. He moved really well I felt. He’s a smart player and will be dangerous forward.

Cripps moved fantastically well. Pretty excited for him.

The improved run of Setters has made him a natural for the wing as they seek to inject Williams, Walsh and Dow into the middle. Felt to me like Newnes and Setters were the logical start points there.

Round one looks very settled.

Backline will be Willo, Saad, Doc, SPS, Plow and Weiters. Newman out and they love that combination means no change at all unless injuries.

Forwards = MCG and Casboult will be in round one. McKay. Murph. Fish. Martin. One of Cunners, Betts, Gibbo and Fog. I don’t see SOS getting a spo

Mids: Pitto, Cripps, Walsh. Have to have Dow if he does ok next week. Ed. Williams.

Wings: Setters and Newnes. I quite like that combo. Newnes will be prepared to sacrifice himself to play defensive wing.

All just based on what I saw today.

One spot up for grabs (small forward) unless Dow has a shocker next week or there are injuries. Not sure Fog did enough today to impress. I’d prefer Cunners ahead of Betts and Fog. But maybe they go Gibbo.
Didn’t think much of Jones, Windows?

Dadda Dave

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Well, he left in so much as we opened the door and pushed him through it...

And 13 doesn't look so bad when a paltry 21 lead the way.

And he is arguably the greatest small forward of all time so may have a little credit in the bank.

But otherwise, totally...
Mick s**t house gave him the shove I reckon .

Jimmyonesix

Premiership Player
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
The two I’d like kicking out for us would be Willo and Weiters, think they are our best precise kick/decision makers but also they are also two that I’d love being on the end of our kick outs as well, Willo for his run/carry and disposal Weiters as a strong marking option as well as his incredible ball use...
You need weiters as a marking and release option but he is probably best kick in the side ..

azlou

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2010
hampton
AFL Club
Carlton
Mick sh*t house gave him the shove I reckon .
I remember Dick berating him on the sidelines in his last year against the dogs standing over him it was ugly and pissed me off micks crap coaching needed a scape goat and that was Eddie that day
My passion got the better of me and I served what I thought of dick and his predictable rubbish kick down the line rubbish
I hated what he did to our club we were a deserved joke for hiring dick

Dadda Dave

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
I remember Dick berating him on the sidelines in his last year against the dogs standing over him it was ugly and pissed me off micks crap coaching needed a scape goat and that was Eddie that day
My passion got the better of me and I served what I thought of dick and his predictable rubbish kick down the line rubbish
I hated what he did to our club we were a deserved joke for hiring dick
Pig headed old prick that's for sure.

chelseacarlton

BLUE it's the Magic Number
10k Posts Sensible Type Chess Club Member Pantskyle
Apr 13, 2008
So Frang
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
The Anti-Theists
Murph just increased his career, even though I’m a peanut, Paddy Dow took a sidestep into our imaginations, Saad gave us moves around the board we didn’t have and releases 2/3 players into more positive outcomes, our forward 50 entry unless laterally across the 50 is still a ******* shambles, hit the leading target, have a ******* leading target, that’s our greatest failure, we have all the other pieces in place.
2c

Last edited:

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
Devils advocate on this;
Watching the Essendon example, the player takes 3 to 4 steps to his right and doesn't even dispose the ball. Now the player on the mark did the same, which is a penalty in this case, but my question, if the player with the ball leaves his line without disposing off the ball, why isn't play on?
It will ultimately depend on how quickly the umpire calls play on. A player like Saad will be able to take advantage. Most teams will have players like this. Ned Cahill did it yesterday and * suck!

azlou

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2010
hampton
AFL Club
Carlton
Murph just increased his career, even though I’m a peanut, Paddy Dow took a sidestep into our imaginations, Saad gave us moves around the board we didn’t have and releases 2/3 players into more positive outcomes, our forward 50 entry unless laterally across the 50 is still a ******* shambles, hot the leading target, have a ******* leading target, that’s our greatest failure, we have all the other pieces in place.
2c
Yep we seem to bomb it from 60 to get a quick entry
There seems to be a bunch of players at our predetermined spot to kick to
The forward line didn’t seem to spread to make space or gaps to lead into
It seems a work in progress there were some structured plays but I still felt we had to work harder for our goals opposed to Essendon

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
Saints will be a tougher proposition. Will stretch our small defenders. Kangas might just suck though...

NYCFC

Debutant
Oct 31, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Ultimately, Mick fell off the radar as soon as he was not in a position of influence. Others of his ilk have a media career etc but he is nowhere to be seen. Speaks to his relevance...

There's plenty of room for washed-up coaches in the media, but not washed-up coaches who spent the majority of their coaching career belittling and bullying the media any chance he got. This is an insular mate's industry. For once, I'm happy about that because every day I don't see or hear from Malthouse is a good day.

Nov 5, 2012
Canberra
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
There can be only 1
Well the one thing that was noticeable in the game was the easy with which the ball transitioned between goal lines.
The Defenders have no time to man up or zone so they are going to be in big trouble if they do not stick real close to their opponent.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Well the one thing that was noticeable in the game was the easy with which the ball transitioned between goal lines.
The Defenders have no time to man up or zone so they are going to be in big trouble if they do not stick real close to their opponent.

The new standing on the mark rule probably has a fair amount to do with that.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Murph just increased his career, even though I’m a peanut, Paddy Dow took a sidestep into our imaginations, Saad gave us moves around the board we didn’t have and releases 2/3 players into more positive outcomes, our forward 50 entry unless laterally across the 50 is still a ******* shambles, hit the leading target, have a ******* leading target, that’s our greatest failure, we have all the other pieces in place.
2c
I like peanuts.

Back