Autopsy Carlton v Essendon Practice Match - We won:- 14.11 (95) to 11.8 (74)!

Remove this Banner Ad

Murph just increased his career, even though I’m a peanut, Paddy Dow took a sidestep into our imaginations, Saad gave us moves around the board we didn’t have and releases 2/3 players into more positive outcomes, our forward 50 entry unless laterally across the 50 is still a ******* shambles, hit the leading target, have a ******* leading target, that’s our greatest failure, we have all the other pieces in place.
2c
I'm hoping with Saad he just forgot a few times when his old team mates called out, and kicked to them. Apart from that, it is exciting to have him playing for us.

I think you’re being a bit generous there. Wasn’t our worst but was far from best 3.

Dow, Cripps, Harry, Walsh, Saad, Setters, Pitto, Jones were well ahead of him.

Overall he was OK, he did some
Nice things but his good attacking work (pin point passes, score involvements, etc.) were more than cancelled out by his poor defensive skills....he was directly responsible for 3 Ess goals.

One player is seldom responsible for opposition goals.

Might be a cheap turnover upfield, lack of defensive running to fill holes (a standout for our mids historically) or simply good play by the opponents - it does happen.

Saints are going to be a weapon this year .

Should be an interesting game on Thursday, looking forward to how we shape up. As poor as North are atm, the Saints put them to the sword.

Saints will be a tougher proposition. Will stretch our small defenders. Kangas might just suck though...

Really looking forward to this game. Ratten’s saints are a committed team with a good midfield. It might be a practise game but we will need to go up a notch.

Should be an interesting game on Thursday, looking forward to how we shape up. As poor as North are atm, the Saints put them to the sword.

North had a few of their starting mids out, so wouldn't read too much into the scoreline, but they are playing a great brand of footy

Saints will be in that 5-8 range

The new standing on the mark rule probably has a fair amount to do with that.
exactly.
now if they would just add that the kicker has to kick over the mark then we would no longer have the time wasting kicking backwards crap that goes on.

:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Man on the mark rule is the Best, most nondescript rule change ever thought up.
Does nothing to harm the fabric of the game yet reduces the ability of defending teams to defend quite significantly.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I always hate new rules but this didn't seem to have any negative effects, I'll admit that. Players just need to learn not to move and most of them seem to grasp it. Ed gave one away and about a minute earlier should have had another paid against him.

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

I always hate new rules but this didn't seem to have any negative effects, I'll admit that. Players just need to learn not to move and most of them seem to grasp it. Ed gave one away and about a minute earlier should have had another paid against him.

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk
I seen three times* players moved more than Ed buts donuts for us . * always get the better treatment from the flouro maggots so no surprise really though .

Haven't seen the entire practice match, but my 2 cents worth is as follows:

• Murph and Fish looked fantastic as small forwards. Both look really dangerous and have 'footy smarts'
  • Harry can't and won't be our only tall forward as he can't handle being double teamed. Hopefully Cas isn't too far away
  • Pittonet is a solid ruckman. Can't jump. Can't take overhead marks (yes, he took one good one, but generally fumbles). BUT does contest everything and is not scared of a physical contest
  • Saad should definitely take the kick-ins. He can gain 30 metres on the run and open up the ground straight away
  • Walsh looks bigger - he is no longer a young boy
  • Willo looked composed and very very fit. I liked what I saw on Thursday. Is borderline best 22 but is really putting his hand up
  • Cuningham and Gibbons are interesting players for different reasons - are borderline best 22 so need good games against Saints. I too would love to see them rotated more in the middle
  • Didn't really notice the new guys. I will have a closer look this week
  • Didn't like how easily Essendon ran the ball from end to end. We have to find a way to stop this, as it allows the opposition to get their confidence up and get a (5 goal) run on.
For round 1 I reckon our backline is sorted. Even with Marchbank and Newman out we are pretty settled. For me, like others, the small/medium forwards, wingman and extra on-ballers are the most intriguing selection issues. With Murph and Fish forward, we increase our midfield/forward options. Would not lose much having Murph rotating with Williams and Fish with Walsh/Crippa etc.

Cas is a must, so walks straight in. Newnes, Dow, Gibbons, Cuningham, Silvagni, McGovern, LOB, Fogarty, Kennedy, Stocker, Betts, Cottrell are all fighting it out for the last three spots. If Dow has another good one, and Cuningham can have an impact I would love them in as they offer something different. McGovern and Silvagni fighting out the third tall that Teague likes.

Plow Jones SPS
Saad Weiters Doc
Walsh Williams Setters
Murph Cas Martin
Fish Harry ??
Pitt Cripps Williams

INTERCHANGE
Willo (back/wing)
Ed (mid)
???
???

Last edited:
Haven't seen the entire practice match, but my 2 cents worth is as follows:

• Murph and Fish looked fantastic as small forwards. Both look really dangerous and have 'footy smarts'
  • Harry can't and won't be our only tall forward as he can't handle being double teamed. Hopefully Cas isn't too far away
  • Pittonet is a solid ruckman. Can't jump. Can't take overhead marks (yes, he took one good one, but generally fumbles). BUT does contest everything and is not scared of a physical contest
  • Saad should definitely take the kick-ins. He can gain 30 metres on the run and open up the ground straight away
  • Walsh looks bigger - he is no longer a young boy
  • Willo looked composed and very very fit. I liked what I saw on Thursday. Is borderline best 22 but is really putting his hand up
  • Cuningham and Gibbons are interesting players for different reasons - are borderline best 22 so need good games against Saints. I too would love to see them rotated more in the middle
  • Didn't really notice the new guys. I will have a closer look this week
  • Didn't like how easily Essendon ran the ball from end to end. We have to find a way to stop this, as it allows the opposition to get their confidence up and get a (5 goal) run on.
For round 1 I reckon our backline is sorted. Even with Marchbank and Newman out we are pretty settled. For me, like others, the small/medium forwards, wingman and extra on-ballers are the most intriguing selection issues. With Murph and Fish forward, we increase our midfield/forward options. Would not lose much having Murph rotating with Williams and Fish with Walsh/Crippa etc.

Cas is a must, so walks straight in. Newnes, Dow, Gibbons, Cuningham, Silvagni, McGovern, LOB, Fogarty, Kennedy, Stocker, Betts, Cottrell are all fighting it out for the last three spots. If Dow has another good one, and Cuningham can have an impact I would love them in as they offer something different. McGovern and Silvagni fighting out the third tall that Teague likes.

Plow Jones SPS
Saad Weiters Doc
Walsh Williams Setters
Murph Cas Martin
Fish Harry ??
Pitt Cripps Williams

INTERCHANGE
Willo (back/wing)
Ed (mid)
???
???

Jsos,Gibbons,Dow

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

They see him every game, every training session. There’s a reason he’s not in the guts. He doesn’t have the weapons for it (size/pace/skill). That lack of weapons isn’t a problem at VFL level. But his attributes mean he’s at his best as a high half forward in the AFL.
That could possibly be true, from an outsiders perspective i just think he hasn’t been given the opportunity to show us what he maybe/maybe not can produce...

Man on the mark rule is the Best, most nondescript rule change ever thought up.
Does nothing to harm the fabric of the game yet reduces the ability of defending teams to defend quite significantly.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
What is the actual rule? Is it as simple as the man on the mark cant move side to side? If so what is actually stopping someone standing just behind the mark and moving side to side

Remove this Banner Ad

Back