Autopsy Carlton v Essendon Practice Match - We won:- 14.11 (95) to 11.8 (74)!

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
What is the actual rule? Is it as simple as the man on the mark cant move side to side? If so what is actually stopping someone standing just behind the mark and moving side to side
The fact that the other team then has a spare man that can drop into any space unattended?

Skull Face

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2019
Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
The fact that the other team then has a spare man that can drop into any space unattended?
You could just not man the mark and instead stand half a metre behind the mark and be allowed freedom of movement unless the protected zone somehow includes an area behind the mark.

I seen three times* players moved more than Ed buts donuts for us . * always get the better treatment from the flouro maggots so no surprise really though .
Garbage.

Koutamightafides

All Australian
Feb 21, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
They see him every game, every training session. There’s a reason he’s not in the guts. He doesn’t have the weapons for it (size/pace/skill). That lack of weapons isn’t a problem at VFL level. But his attributes mean he’s at his best as a high half forward in the AFL.
Personally I think Gibbo is as good as Devon Smith and he gets good midfield minutes at * . Wish Gibbo getsa chance to play a bit more there this year .

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
100% i think we all forgot how valuable Jack is to our entire forward set up, the pressure he puts on the opposition as they exit, he scraps for every loose ball, he gets free on the rebound and takes marks (he needs to be better at set shots and convert).. .. When he is competing for a spot in the team v McGovern.. its a simple no brainer in my eyes.
Also he might not have hit the scoreboard himself but gave off at least 2 I can remember with good ground ball gathers and a quick handball to the player going past for goals, as others have said it is his 1st 2nd and 3rd efforts that does the damage to opposition defences as well as always halving marking contests some times with smart tap downs to players in space. It’s going to be hard picking our forward set up when everyone is up and going.

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
We won.....kids and recruits played well

No injuries....what more could you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Better cohesion between the mids and the forwards, better leading patterns from the forwards with them leading to different areas instead of all going for the same ball would be nice.

The first 3qtrs against Geelong should be the blueprint for our forward set up as it was probably the only time we saw clear leads into open space for the whole year, where the forwards worked to make space for each other.

Mr_Plow

That name again...
May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Red Wings
Having watched the final 2 quarters:

- Dow one of the standouts overall. Stronger, more composed, skills improved, finishing up another level, in my round 1 side pending a significant step backwards against St Kilda.
- In limited time, Stocker looked leaner, more agile and athletic. Not in the frame for round 1 but early signs are positive.
- Murphy's class in the forward line shone through.
- JSOS and Fogarty didn't do their round 1 chances any favours.
- Saad very impressive, some kicks not to advantage late, but awesome acquisition
- Williams provided real drive/dash through the midfield, good first game

Team against St Kilda:

Plowman Jones Williamson
Saad Weitering Docherty
Setterfield Cripps Walsh
Murphy McKay Martin
Fisher Casboult/McGovern Cuningham

Pittonet Williams Dow
SPS Newnes ECurnow Gibbons
Emg: JSOS Fogarty Stocker LOB

JSOS comes in if Casboult/McGovern can't play.

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
TO me Saad gives us that 80m rapid exit, SPS gives us the controlled short exit that allows us to get back into the corridor, open the game up again and possibly then use Saad. Williamson & Docherty give us a bit of both with Willo being a bit more aggressive. Makes it hard to set up zones if you can throw different exits at them.
Spot on Macca, Saad and Doc with there run and overlap, SPS with his precision short kicks and Willo with his precision left foot long kicks for the switch gives us a great range of options for the opposition to contend with, they will have to really know there man when playing against us and once you mix it all together forget about it no zone will contain it in full flight.

I really liked what I saw of Obrien as well played a lot more inside as well as using it well on the outside, if we can get him up and going he will make us a much better side with his ball use on the wing, only played a Qtr but had an impact and really got involved which is a step in the right direction, him and Willo rotating between wing and half back would give us great use down the left side, with Walsh and Setters rotating between inside and wing on the right.

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I agree that, when he had the ball, he was great, but early Guelfi had him on toast on the burst. If SPS was genuinely trying to catch him and not practice match running, then that spells a bit of trouble for us during the season if he's our defensive back pocket.

Could be that the openness of the game suited Guelfi in a way that a proper AFL game won't, but he'd either want to find an extra foot or two of pace or we need to find another option for those quick forwards who play high half forward.
Spot on Geth he got burnt off a few times early when pushing higher up the ground which happened last year as well at times, I thought the match ups were actually wrong in that first Qtr to be fair though, got much better as the game progressed and as usual his ball use was sublime and his gathers at speed as well.
If we are looking at pushing him higher up the ground more often we will need to give him the right match up as he gets killed on the rebound for speed and endurance, that or someone will need to cover for him when or if it does rebound.

Garters

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Personally I think Gibbo is as good as Devon Smith and he gets good midfield minutes at * . Wish Gibbo getsa chance to play a bit more there this year .
I agree with this. Not so much of an opinion on comparisons better than or not better than but Gibbons has not been able to hit his maximum output through lack of opportunities in the middle. Well balanced extractor and makes good decisions in tight. Play to a kid's strengths

Koutamightafides

All Australian
Feb 21, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
I agree with this. Not so much of an opinion on comparisons better than or not better than but Gibbons has not been able to hit his maximum output through lack of opportunities in the middle. Well balanced extractor and makes good decisions in tight. Play to a kid's strengths
Yeah I agree with you and I only used the Devon Smith example cause someone said Gibbo is too short to play midfield but is the same height as Smith and they are on par as far as skills go I think .

Garters

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah I agree with you and I only used the Devon Smith example cause someone said Gibbo is too short to play midfield but is the same height as Smith and they are on par as far as skills go I think .
For sure. His size is over emphasised as a detractor. He has been really good to date since debut. Surprised the reluctance to run him through the midfield for extended periods.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Dow has been turned into a strong unit. You can see the core strength when he was tackled, just stood for an extra 2 seconds a couple of times and was able to get the ball away. The size difference through the hips is there and once he gets used to the extra power, i think he will break tackles at will...
Yep, even before I seen him get the ball for first time in this game, the size difference stood out and knew that would help him big time as he was probably too light for his own style of play in previous years.

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
I thought it was an absolute breath of fresh air not having a stat sheet to cloud watcher's opinions on an AFL game of footy. Without being "old man yelling at cloud", stat sheets and fantasy footy have diverted people from what actually matters....Who and What helps the team win.

There are as many bog average 25 possession games as there are good 25 possession games, and there are many 15 possession games that are better than 25 possession games.

Damn Champion Data.

Couldn’t agree more TW.
People take their footy how they like it.
Some want/need endless stats, some just like to watch the game and make their own judgments on players/teams/styles.
For mine, I’d take stats sheets about as far as the outhouse.
The day i need stats to formulate my views on footy is the day it’s time to give it away ...
Go Blues !!

SPS isnt depth though, is he....

Yeah he is ... drafted end of 2016, 2017 first season .... He has missed 4 games dude. Depth is a stretch ... lucky to still be on the list. FSS.

1614416574922.png

Back