Autopsy Carlton v Essendon Practice Match - We won:- 14.11 (95) to 11.8 (74)!

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn't believe how many times I saw our forwards caught behind their opponents from our long bombing and the lack of spoil. Gave their tall defenders an easy ride would be my biggest criticism. Not enough hard leads from our forwards for my liking.
Yep this is a consistent problem with our forward line, the one time we actually got this right last year was against Geelong when we spread out the forwards to seperate the Cats defenders to get one vs ones and expose there specific deficiency, I think we had something like 9-10 marks inside 50 to half time from good leads into open space, unfortunately other than that game, where we used it as a specific tactic to expose the Cats defenders, we didn’t see it again when it should have been our plan A given our key forwards exceptional ability one out.

Ah look, we were experimenting and we were up by quite a lot at one stage. Not much to take from that. If we beat the poor teams and beat the good teams margin doesn't matter.
Yeah we kept them at arms length for most of the game then blew them away in the premiership Qtr and again held them at arms length at a canter in the last, all up a pretty handy hit out.

Just some quick thoughts
Love what Teague was doing with the midfield, rotating 7/8 players through there is very dynamic and it’s gives us plenty of options in style of play, going to make thing very hard for opponents to match up with us on any given day.

We’ve really turbo charged our team
The addition of Saad and Williams has tipped the scales and turned us into a team that has real pace.

Loved the forward set up, very Richmond like, with multiple goal kicker and plenty of smaller types, love Murphy up forward, Fisher could have easily kicked 5, Williams Martin Dow all hitting the scoreboard

Williams can definitely play as midfielder, cracks in hard and he’s exactly what our midfield needed as that first receiver, that can break away from the stoppage and get the ball forward quickly.

Dow looks ready to have a breakout year, he’s got the explosiveness back
has bulked up and isn’t getting bumped around now, kicking has improved and looks way more confident.

Others that impressed were
Weitering Jones Saad down back, looks like Doc may have life easier this year.
Setters Walsh Martin Cripps all look great and look set for big years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McDonald looks 34 and still hasn't put any meat on his bones.. Not quick either. But he does have more composure than Moore. If only we could combine the two.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back