Preview Carlton v Fremantle Sunday 21st May 4.40PM (AEST) @ Domain Stadium - Final Team post #778

Discussion in 'Carlton' started by Aphrodite, May 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bluella

Bluella Club Legend

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Wouldn't dare...
    Nov 1, 2013
    Cabal headquarters
    Do any of you know which of the emergencies is flying over?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. passmark

passmark Brownlow Medallist

Carlton
    Aug 26, 2012
    Agro said Boek was on the plane but didn't know about the others .

Bluella likes this.
  3. Soapy V

Soapy V Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    Sep 17, 2015
    Barass70 intimated he will play back this week so we may yet get our wish

4. HARKER

HARKER Hall of Famer

Carlton
    Oct 15, 2008
    Melbourne
    So, if Weitering did go back, what happens?
    Disrupt the continuity of the back 6?

Wouldn't we be way too tall? Send Marchbank forward because Weitering didn't cut it?
    .............................Docherty Rowe Plowman
    .........................Weitering ASilvagni Marchbank......??????

I don't know. When the crunch comes, I think Weitering stays where he is, unless he's just finding it too hard.
    Weitering freed up on the wing? I'd like to see that.. :)

5. Benaly28

Benaly28 All Australian

Carlton
    Sep 24, 2016
    For the old schoolies out there:

"Richie bursts from the pack handballs to potsy who gives to Ralph malph he switches play and kicks to the fat side and finds the fonz he bounces once,twice dummies around kicks inside 50 to CHACHI!!!,quick handball back to Richie who fires for goal......cunnnnniiiggghhhammmmmmm.Magnificent transference of the air conveyance.Blues on the board great play Richie.

Iamcarlton, ferrisb, Lace_Out and 4 others like this.
  6. Soapy V

Carlton
    Sep 17, 2015
    #881 Soapy V, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
    Not sure what will happen but obviously one tall will need to go forward? Then again it may be why White was dropped? Height and run doesn't seem to matter at the moment as we are playing a very controlled possession game. Not a lot of run and attack at the moment.

As Bolts said it's about development for Weitering so he can play both ends. He's now had 8 games forward and in our side that isn't easy. I'd just like to see him go back and get a few touches and play with a bit of freedom again.

You mentioned continuity and fair enough but I would love to see Weitering Marchbank Plowman Docherty all play together for an extended period. IMO that is the basis for our defence for the next 8-10 years and it could be our best ever.

7. Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods Premiership Player

Carlton
    Mar 26, 2015
    Not a stretch at all. Levi also played better when Jones was in the side.

8. Azul

Azul Brownlow Medallist

Carlton
    Nov 22, 2008
    Vic
    Mork from the planet Ork umpiring and the Tuscadero sisters in the stands?

passmark, Smegger and Benaly28 like this.
  9. HARKER

HARKER Hall of Famer

Carlton
    Oct 15, 2008
    Melbourne
    Who knows, as others may make their way into the back-line.
    That does look to be a very expensive starting point for a back-line, though.

No matter what the TPP may be, it will always be a squeeze fitting in all the talent you may want across the squad and I'm not sure it should be weighted into the back half of the ground.

Soapy V likes this.
  10. 1981

1981 Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    Oct 21, 2008
    Melbourne
    Joanie died a couple weeks back

11. Soapy V

Carlton
    Sep 17, 2015
    I have no idea on that stuff. I am just a believer that great defences win flags. That defence with a strong midfield will be hard to beat especially in big games. What I like is that defence is also very attacking. All find their own ball and use it well. Add Byrne & Macreadie (I forgot Williamson) and its one talented back six with depth, possibly as good as Carlton has ever had. Whichever way Bolts works it we have that area well covered. :)

Forever Blue and Arr0w like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Arr0w

Arr0w Premiership Player

Carlton
    Nov 13, 2015
    In Transit
    Once we get to the stage, where midfield like players are selected on HBF's then we are ready to challenge. That will ultimately show how deep our list is

13. HARKER

HARKER Hall of Famer

Carlton
    Oct 15, 2008
    Melbourne
    Great midfields win flags too.......as does a great forward line.
    Generally speaking though, great teams win premierships.

The point is that if your back-line is costing you more than your midfield or your forward line, something may not be quite right.

14. Soapy V

Carlton
    Sep 17, 2015
    Agree. Probably my poor wording but I believe you build a great side with the defence and mid as the focus. Get that right and anything can happen. Amazing how any forward line can function if you get that right. Been a long while since a really top level looking forward line has won a flag.

F the Rest and Benaly28 like this.
  15. Soapy V

Carlton
    Sep 17, 2015
    Agree! :thumbsu:

Arr0w likes this.
  16. Benaly28

Benaly28 All Australian

Carlton
    Sep 24, 2016
    Ba
    Backlines win flags,granted a good midfield helps but ultimately it's the backline that determines results especially in finals.Look at hawthorns recruiting with lake,Gibson,Burgoyne,Birchall etc then Geelong with Scarlett,Kelly,Taylor, etc I'm not saying all the time but your defence is the first line of attack.If you were to look at every side you'll see a trend of what's now called the quarterback rebound of half back.
    Tuohy,Docherty,Zjones,Johansen,murphybob,Yeo,Polec,roberton etc.just to name a few.If you were to pick our most IMPORTANT player(not best) in our side,who would you pick?

Soapy V and Smegger like this.
  17. Mr_Plow

Mr_Plow That name again...

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Red Wings, 76ers & Tennessee Titans
    May 18, 2008
    Melbourne
    Bulldogs won a flag with discard KPDs and one genuine gun rebounding defender.

Backlines don't win flags.

Team defence and elite ball movement do.

18. Smegger

Smegger Club Legend

Carlton
    May 19, 2016
    place without a postcard
    Kreuzer

19. Arr0w

Arr0w Premiership Player

Carlton
    Nov 13, 2015
    In Transit
    At this stage, Doc, he is our designated quarterback you speak of and has all the attributes to set up our first line of attack. As we progress as a side, he will be unleashed to become a more offensive force

20. KohPhi

KohPhi Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    Jul 24, 2015
    Where are the Hooper triplets?

happydude, passmark and Benaly28 like this.
  21. HARKER

HARKER Hall of Famer

Carlton
    Oct 15, 2008
    Melbourne
    The Carlton teams of old were blessed with great back-lines and that's what we remember, but we can forget that the attacks weren't shabby either.

The back-line has to be good but it doesn't have to be 'rich' to do its job.

Mr_Plow likes this.
  22. passmark

passmark Brownlow Medallist

Carlton
    Aug 26, 2012
    You can't say "backline win flags" .

Different teams have different styles.

The WCE had a good backline in 2006 but without any one of Judd, Cousins or Kerr they don't win that flag, no chance.

The Brisbane 3 peat was as much (or more IMO) about the fantastic 4 than their supreme backline.

23. Soapy V

Carlton
    Sep 17, 2015
    Ya reckon! I remember having Rod Galt & Peter Brown along with Percy Jones as our key forward targets in Premiership years. Ross Ditchburn looked good but got knocked out early in a GF. ;)

Games changed so much in last 5-10 years. Run and create from defence and through the midfield is now the key both with and without the ball.

24. Soapy V

Carlton
    Sep 17, 2015
    Agree plus Weitering & Williamson are elite ball users and Byrne will add even more. Nice to have options

Smegger likes this.
  25. Benaly28

Benaly28 All Australian

Carlton
    Sep 24, 2016
    Yeh good call can he win the b&f....big chance if he stays fit.Doc,murph,Cripps the others at this stage.