Preview Carlton v Fremantle Sunday 21st May 4.40PM (AEST) @ Domain Stadium - Final Team post #778

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously every line is important but history shows MIDFIELDS win premierships.

Every team who has won a premiership in recent times had A grade midfields...you can get away with B-B+ forward lines and arguably back 6 but not midfield.

Midfields control the game, making it easier for forwards by giving them more I50's than the opposition and more quality ones.
They also help protect the backline by conceding less I50's and lower quality ones, making it easier for the back 6 to intercept.

But SOS & Bolts have done the right thing by focusing on our defensive mechanisms and recruiting KPP's first.
Yep.
It's ok to build from the back like we've done but eventually you have to score and to do that you need mids to take it from the midfield or backline, from stoppages and clearances so they can deliver to forwards or kick them themselves.

Must get the right ones.

I'm very excited to see what SOS and Brodie are looking at this year or what trades we might be fernergling as we speak .

Rowe shouldn't really be discussed as a possible out next week, but he won't want to get beaten today.
The MC must be itching to get Jones into this team to see whether he'd continue his form where it counts.

I realise Rowe is the likely candidate to lose his spot if they bring Liam in but would ASOS's rookie status make it easier to drop him, even though he's playing well.

It also allows the MC to elevate a LeBois or even Sheehan if they want to have a look at them .

Weather Update:
6.00am.

Windy as hell isolated showers and the sprinklers have just come on. Have to get to the retic controller outside somehow to turn it off. May have t crawl.

If no updates within 30 minutes send help .

Passy out.
Hope the surgery went well! Fingers crossed the game isn't too stressful so you don't bust your stitches open.

I realise Rowe is the likely candidate to lose his spot if they bring Liam in but would ASOS's rookie status make it easier to drop him, even though he's playing well.

It also allows the MC to elevate a LeBois or even Sheehan if they want to have a look at them .

That's a good point.
ASilvagni does have the speed on his size, which should hold him in good stead.
Can't see us quitting him, if we actually need him.

Byrne coming back will take away the LTI we are utilising, but we do have a rookie spot becoming available soon.
Reckon we're not going to go 40/4 again. Better still.......get rid of the rookie thing altogether.

Really excited this week as I think we are closest this year to where we are going, a side with pace, elite kicks and hardness.
IMO, we already have the back 6 'to cover' for White with Rowe, ASOS, Marchbank, Docherty, Plowman and Williamson (with Simpson playing up the field). Macreadie and Byrne to come. I love the thought of Williamson playing as an outside midfielder in years to come.
Cuningham adds to the midfield and we have some 'depth under development' with SPS, Fisher and Charlie. All show traits of pace, elite kicking (and marking in Charlie's case) and hardness. Graham has added to the midfield with his kicking into forward 50 in particular.
For now Charlie is playing forward and roaming. Jack is a clever forward who wins his share or 1 on 1s or finds space. Cas is presenting and crashing packs and it makes such a difference when the ball is kicked to his advantage. Weitering is clever at the forward craft (really enjoy Jimmae's description). Wright is getting back to his form last year. There are spots IMO for Pickett, Lamb and other quick pressure forwards in our forward line. For now Thomas gets a go. And McKay to come, possibly Le Bois.
And Kreuzer, Murphy, Gibbs, Cripps and Ed are playing well most matches and leading.
Another pre-season into the kids, Another batch of players to come in and fight for spots in the Senior 22.

That's a good point.

Byrne coming back will take away the LTI we are utilising, but we do have a rookie spot becoming available soon.
Reckon we're not going to go 40/4 again. Better still.......get rid of the rookie thing altogether.
This.

Rowe shouldn't really be discussed as a possible out next week, but he won't want to get beaten today.
The MC must be itching to get Jones into this team to see whether he'd continue his form where it counts.
Bit surprised to read this one Harks. I think the MC doesn't itch to bring in players by dropping other players ...
While I think Rowe has his limitations and it might be Jones who gets first go if Rowe is dropped, I think Rowe is still Plan A. Maybe that will change next year.
(I certainly itch for someone to push a Thomas out of the team. Maybe it's Cuningham and Macreadie comes back in ...)

Bit surprised to read this one Harks. I think the MC doesn't itch to bring in players by dropping other players ...
While I think Rowe has his limitations and it might be Jones who gets first go if Rowe is dropped, I think Rowe is still Plan A. Maybe that will change next year.
(I certainly itch for someone to push a Thomas out of the team. Maybe it's Cuningham and Macreadie comes back in ...)

Nothing to be surprised about, really.
If one is going through a rich vein of form, you want to reward that and have it continue where it counts.
The problem for Jones though, is..........how do you get him into the team, without compromising balance?

White is out for Cuningham this week, but I still feel that we're too heavy overall....and if the MC see it that way, it makes it all the harder to get another tall into the main squad.

That's a good point.

You'll get your wish

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope our boys are fired up after last week, freo should just get the points but we need to take it right up to them, if we can pinch the win I'd be over the moon. This is a clique but seriously need to win the mid battle as I don't rate their forward line, plus our defenders have been great all year, but we can't afford to let them smash us in the inside 50 count...

Hope our boys are fired up after last week, freo should just get the points but we need to take it right up to them, if we can pinch the win I'd be over the moon. This is a clique but seriously need to win the mid battle as I don't rate their forward line, plus our defenders have been great all year, but we can't afford to let them smash us in the inside 50 count...
So the rumours were true all this time...

I'd agree it was in the Malthouse era. Much better now under bolts though and the group seems much more unified.

Notice there is a bit of rain at the moment passmark, great weather report mate

Husband and wife watching TV when the phone rings.
Husband answers and after listening to the caller says 'How the hell would I know, call the Bureau of meteorology' and hangs up.
Wife says 'who was that dear'?
Husband replies 'Some idiot wanting to know if the coast was clear'.

Good WA joke :)

Rowe would be in the top 6 picked every week. He's about as far away as being dropped as anyone. He plays on the gorillas. No one on our list is yet capable of doing it. I think those calling for his dropping dont understand how important the role he plays is.
Someones calling for him to be dropped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back