Carlton v Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved Fages' reason for CEY being dropped. Needs to improve and because you're a new recruit doesn't mean you get a free pass.

Was a few who tried to give CEY a pass against Port, probably because he is a new recruit but truthfully he wasn't very good and Fages agrees.

Loved Fages' reason for CEY being dropped. Needs to improve and because you're a new recruit doesn't mean you get a free pass.

Was a few who tried to give CEY a pass against Port, probably because he is a new recruit but truthfully he wasn't very good and Fages agrees.
Well said.

Excited to see Dev play. Going to be a test against Carlton’s midfield.
Physically he’s up to it.

There’s little physically that separates Robertson from the Suns number 1 pick, Matt Rowell. What does separate them is Rowell’s skills versus Dev’s skills, particularly decision making and kicking.

There’s little physically that separates Robertson from the Suns number 1 pick, Matt Rowell. What does separate them is Rowell’s skills versus Dev’s skills, particularly decision making and kicking.
Which is a pretty big part of the game.

Either way, very excited to get our first look at him in match situations.

As much as I'm happy with our pick, you'd have to expect there would be a quite a difference in skill set between the clear number one pick and a guy who was overlooked in the first round.

Pumped for Dev and (hopefully) Smith to get their chance in the proper dress rehearsal for round 1. Big opportunities for both.
I would also like to see them get on the ground early, not have to wait until the second half as I think happened with Ely against Port.

I'd be one of those and after reading fages reasoning I'd have to say Im an idiot for arguing he should be in despite form. It's actually really great to see the club having high expectations for players and demanding they earn it. Sounds like Dev is doing just that which is a great sign

Last edited:
I'd be one of those and after reading fages reasoning I'd have to say Im an idiot for arguing he should be in despite form.
I don't think he did well in the first game, but I did expect him to get extra games to build up rapport in the middle. I'm surprised but not in a bad way.

Bit inconsistent though given Birchalls output during his minutes to date. Think the intention of this management of CEY is to motivàte him to get the best out of his opportunities so I don't really think anyone coming on here to give him a whack is consistent with that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit inconsistent though given Birchalls output during his minutes to date. Think the intention of this management of CEY is to motivàte him to get the best out of his opportunities so I don't really think anyone coming on here to give him a whack is consistent with that
He has just received his whack, it is up to him now to respond.
What we say on here will not change his output. But what Fages says might?

To be fair we haven't been privvy to the full training and intraclub work to date, maybe birch has had an upward trend in output that hasn't been there with cey

Last edited:
He has just received his whack, it is up to him now to respond.
What we say on here will not change his output. But what Fages says might?
Yeah that's what I mean
To be fair we haven't been privvy to the full training and intraclub work to date, may r birch has had an upward trend in output that hasn't been there with cey
Yeah I think the thing with Birchall is his awareness, we need that fast effective distribution and he is a dynasty Hawk, hes got it, and i noticed his movement after the practice match has been improving steadily. CEY in a different role but loses the focus at times.

And another in front of Matho now. He’s falling down the pecking order at a rapid rate.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Gotta feel for the bloke, looked like he put a tonne of work in over the off season and turned up in great shape. Hell probably end up getting a run at some point this year, it'll just be up to him to lock down the spot

You could be right about motivation.
I still believe we need a big bodied mid so CEY may still make our best 22. I am a fan of him coming to the Lions.
Maybe they feel he is not putting in enough at training and pre season matches.

I think Birchall might be a bit different. They will give him time to be ready for round 1 but if he isn't ready he just debuts at a later date.

The third recruit is Ah Chee. His lack of run from defense so far is not evident. Hopefully he shows something this weekend.
So i see his spot also being in jeopardy.
I think Ah Chee needs to learn the HB role in the NEAFL and then he will be good to go.

Trimmed down squad

BRISBANE LIONS

vs Carlton at Ikon Park, Carlton North

Sunday 6:30pm EDT live on Fox Footy

Four-time premiership Hawk Grant Birchall managed only eight appearances in his final three years at Waverley Park, but the polished defender looks ready to start 2020 on the grid. The veteran blew out the cobwebs against Port Adelaide in Moreton Bay last month and will face Carlton at Ikon Park on Sunday night in the Lions’ final tune-up ahead of Round 1. Chris Fagan dropped another new recruit, Cam Ellis-Yolmen, for the trip to Melbourne suggesting the former Crow needs to “earn his spot” in the team. "His form just hasn't quite been good enough,” Fagan admitted on Friday.

B: M.Adams, H.Andrews, D.Gardiner

HB: D.Rich, G.Birchall, N.Answerth

C: M.Robinson, J.Lyons, Z.Bailey

HF: D.Zorko, E.Hipwood, L.McCarthy

F: C.Rayner, D.McStay, C.Cameron

FOLL: S.Martin, H.McCluggage, L.Neale

I/C: D.Robertson, C.Ah Chee, J.Berry, E.Smith, C.Cox, S.Skinner, M.Hinge, C.McFadyen

Trimmed down squad

BRISBANE LIONS

vs Carlton at Ikon Park, Carlton North

Sunday 6:30pm EDT live on Fox Footy

Four-time premiership Hawk Grant Birchall managed only eight appearances in his final three years at Waverley Park, but the polished defender looks ready to start 2020 on the grid. The veteran blew out the cobwebs against Port Adelaide in Moreton Bay last month and will face Carlton at Ikon Park on Sunday night in the Lions’ final tune-up ahead of Round 1. Chris Fagan dropped another new recruit, Cam Ellis-Yolmen, for the trip to Melbourne suggesting the former Crow needs to “earn his spot” in the team. "His form just hasn't quite been good enough,” Fagan admitted on Friday.

B: M.Adams, H.Andrews, D.Gardiner

HB: D.Rich, G.Birchall, N.Answerth

C: M.Robinson, J.Lyons, Z.Bailey

HF: D.Zorko, E.Hipwood, L.McCarthy

F: C.Rayner, D.McStay, C.Cameron

FOLL: S.Martin, H.McCluggage, L.Neale

I/C: D.Robertson, C.Ah Chee, J.Berry, E.Smith, C.Cox, S.Skinner, M.Hinge, C.McFadyen

Wow no O, thought his spot might be a bit more secure after he made the most of his chances against Port. Will be interesting to see what Skinner can do in that position. Also surprised that ah chee was preferred to witho based on what we've seen so far

Wow no O, thought his spot might be a bit more secure after he made the most of his chances against Port. Will be interesting to see what Skinner can do in that position
Think the BIG O is safe. More like a case of giving Skinner an opportunity. Hope he goes OK. Am a fan of the way he goes about it.

So i see his spot also being in jeopardy.
I think Ah Chee needs to learn the HB role in the NEAFL and then he will be good to go.
Don’t mean to be picky, but I am not sure any of the new recruits spots are in jeopardy?
Until they actually make the team then they can’t lose their place, really.
Birchall is the only one in my mind that, if he is fit, will be playing in the Seniors at the start of the year. That’s why we got him. The other 2 at this stage just add to the depth of the club.
The people who are in jeopardy are players who were in the team last year and are probably still considered fringe players, like Bailey, Answerth, Bundy maybe Witherden and McStay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back