Carlton v Lions

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
Was at the game until Charlies' last goal and spent the second half standing up n the terraces, imagining Gary Wilson, to Colan etc.

My impressions of the game were we are still the same side we were last year: our goal kicking on-ballers rock and, apart from Charlie, our forward line sucks. McStay, Oscar and Hipwood are largely passengers in what is now a good side. Several times Hippy stood out on the other wing as id he was a small fleet footed half forward. They would kick it to Oscar and all the carlton tall defenders.

Hippy and McStay (McSpray?) do not look to get the easy one on one match up that aggressive running and demanding achieves. Now I know that we emphasis all ground defence but I do not think we can think flags with our existing three tall forwards, playing the way they do. Did you see Harris Andrews getting a silly match up later in the game and out marking a pygmy out on the forward flank?

Bailey was the revelation today. A bugger up later in the game but he stood out.

What about Mitch R.. Didn't do a lot but all the carlton drinkers around me enjojed those Mitch sacrificial moments nearly as much as I did.

Why won't The Big O get in front in a boundary thrown in?

Birchall will be a Josh Walker lite!!!!

Rayner, McCarthy did little and emphasis why our forward line rates so poorly.

Overall a good win, a flogging if we didn't keep kicking it out on the full to the Eastern end and we can still improve if we can find a key position forward.

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?
Starcevich and Bailey were very impressive and Rayner showed some excellent movement at times.

I think we need Bailey in the team and I am leaning towards Starcevich getting a start.

I liked the way Neale was working on the outside a little more than usual. Not sure if it was intentional or the game just evolved that way but I think he can be very damaging if we can let him develop that side of his game. I would hope our midfield can get to the point where he has more space as those around him work on their inside game more.

Berry looks set for a good season!

Brizzys Squizzy

All Australian
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Was anyone else as impressed by Dev Robertson as I was? Looked so composed at this level when ever he had the footy and always summed up the right option and dished out a nice handball to a teammate. I'd much rather get game's into him then play CEY at this stage I think.
I was loved his game, kicks are a bit up and under at times but very impressive looking kid for the future

Was at the game until Charlies' last goal and spent the second half standing up n the terraces, imagining Gary Wilson, to Colan etc.

My impressions of the game were we are still the same side we were last year: our goal kicking on-ballers rock and, apart from Charlie, our forward line sucks. McStay, Oscar and Hipwood are largely passengers in what is now a good side. Several times Hippy stood out on the other wing as id he was a small fleet footed half forward. They would kick it to Oscar and all the carlton tall defenders.

Hippy and McStay (McSpray?) do not look to get the easy one on one match up that aggressive running and demanding achieves. Now I know that we emphasis all ground defence but I do not think we can think flags with our existing three tall forwards, playing the way they do. Did you see Harris Andrews getting a silly match up later in the game and out marking a pygmy out on the forward flank?

Bailey was the revelation today. A bugger up later in the game but he stood out.

What about Mitch R.. Didn't do a lot but all the carlton drinkers around me enjojed those Mitch sacrificial moments nearly as much as I did.

Overall a good win, a flogging if we didn't keep kicking it out on the full to the Eastern end and we can still improve if we can find a key position forward.

No offence mate, but s**t talking McStay after today's game only shows one thing - you are blinded by your dislike of him as a player. He was our second best forward - finished with 2.3 (the three behinds were all snaps under pressure - roving the ball after keeping his feet in marking contests/stoppages) and provided good pressure around the contests. He competed well when he had to ruck and blocked for his team mates.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Forward entry still crap, shots still crap. we hit 100+ again after a slow start.
We really need to click better.. Tigers took us to the cleaners in 2 games as we did not make them pay.

I thought Starc had a great game.. Honestly he played well in 2018 before injured I think last years preseason?.. then injured again
Got a pre season through him now I have him in the best 22.
Bailey looks to have improved as well.
Wow we got a good kid in Dev slipped through to us nicely.

Like others worry about Ah Chee and Birchall. Although you have to think Brichall missed most of 3 years has a good footy brain hopefully clear the cobwebs and come good.
Ah Chee injury problems as well.
Big O looks more likely than either McStay and Hipwood to mark in forward 50. The other two get close. Both you chew nails when they have shots. McStay kicked two nice goals.. be good if he gets 35-40 this year.
Be interesting round 1 team.

Oct 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Forward entry still crap, shots still crap. we hit 100+ again after a slow start.
We really need to click better.. Tigers took us to the cleaners in 2 games as we did not make them pay.

I thought Starc had a great game.. Honestly he played well in 2018 before injured I think last years preseason?.. then injured again
Got a pre season through him now I have him in the best 22.
Bailey looks to have improved as well.
Wow we got a good kid in Dev slipped through to us nicely.

Like others worry about Ah Chee and Birchall. Although you have to think Brichall missed most of 3 years has a good footy brain hopefully clear the cobwebs and come good.
Ah Chee injury problems as well.
Big O looks more likely than either McStay and Hipwood to mark in forward 50. The other two get close. Both you chew nails when they have shots. McStay kicked two nice goals.. be good if he gets 35-40 this year.
Be interesting round 1 team.

On current form I’d have Dev and Starc ahead of Ah Chee and CEY. I think they will both be made to earn their spots. Birchall best 22 for mine but his spot isn’t safe. Also agree on Bailey, was a real standout tonight and very excited about his prospects in 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Maroon Monsoon

All Australian
Oct 1, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So I just had a bit of a look at the numbers and ah chee ended up with just 9 disposals with 77% Tog playing mainly off half back. That's... Not great. By comparison witho had just 70% Tog and got 16 disposals, while birch got 15 in just 64% ToG. Given you'd think we'd be looking for these three to be playing a pretty similar role exiting off half back its clear that ah chee has a long way to go.

One other thing I noticed watching the game is that everyone seems to need to wear a jacket in Melbourne even though summer just finished. You have my sympathy, Fitzroy pals, that must suck

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I thought McStay was good.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So I just had a bit of a look at the numbers and ah chee ended up with just 9 disposals with 77% Tog playing mainly off half back. That's... Not great. By comparison witho had just 70% Tog and got 16 disposals, while birch got 15 in just 64% ToG. Given you'd think we'd be looking for these three to be playing a pretty similar role exiting off half back its clear that ah chee has a long way to go.

One other thing I noticed watching the game is that everyone seems to need to wear a jacket in Melbourne even though summer just finished. You have my sympathy, Fitzroy pals, that must suck

There has been a strong southerly blowing the last week or so... It's been a little nippley.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
No offence mate, but s**t talking McStay after today's game only shows one thing - you are blinded by your dislike of him as a player. He was our second best forward - finished with 2.3 (the three behinds were all snaps under pressure - roving the ball after keeping his feet in marking contests/stoppages) and provided good pressure around the contests. He competed well when he had to ruck and blocked for his team mates.

This, I watched him closely. His work rate was huge and he found ways to impact every time he was near it.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
McStay has such a beautiful kicking action when he is relaxed.

That goal from the boundary was a thing of beauty and I just knew he would nail that running shot on the siren.

People have got to get off his back.

I've spoken with him and he's a top fella and I also get the impression he's a sensitive bloke who is well aware of criticism of his propensity to miss "easy" shots. I think he feels negative energy.

He's a valuable member of the side .

Get behind him and he'll feed off it.

McStay has such a beautiful kicking action when he is relaxed.

That goal from the boundary was a thing of beauty and I just knew he would nail that running shot on the siren.

People have got to get off his back.

I've spoken with him and he's a top fella and I also get the impression he's a sensitive bloke who is well aware of criticism of his propensity to miss "easy" shots. I think he feels negative energy.

He's a valuable member of the side .

Get behind him and he'll feed off it.

His work rate in the Marsh has been top notch. He was on for the majority of the Match, played around the ground and managed 285 Meters gained in the process. Comparatively, he gained more territory as a forward than JL, Robinson and Witho to name a few.

He's in great form heading into round 1.

rangatangtang

Cancelled
Jul 20, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Ah Chee 11 pressure acts to Birchall 4 too though. Some of Birchalls disposals are just kicks backwards that don't even result in a switch of play. He's got just as far to come imo too

During the dud years all our boys could do was react to the opposition for the entire game.

What I loved about tonight was that we showed our ability to turn from reactive to controlling without signs of panic. Which is continuing on from last year.

Shows how mature our playing list is and the confidence they have in their teammates and themselves.

And lessens the chance of a heart attack in at least this spectator.

If McStay could get his accuracy around 65% (55% last two season) and if Hippy could do the same (56% career lifetime accuracy) Lions will win just as many games and win them a lot more comfortably.

Charlie Cameron worked on his action - went from 50% in his first 4 seasons as a Crow to a 74% the last 2 years.

A great forward kicks 2 goals for every point (66%) - unless you're a freak like Tory Dickson

OldLion

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2000
Melbourne - 3078 Lions
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Last time I went to PP was our 2001 belting by the Blues, Kouta ran riot that day then we lost a close one to the Crows the week after. The rest is history.
My last outing was 2003 when we were down at 1/2 time and won by 13 goals ! Followed by a pub crawl back to Fitzroy. And hasn't that arena been butchered - office suites behind the goals and the brutalist Legends Stand .. what were they thinking ? No charm - unlike Brunswick St and Vic Park.

Can everyone shut up about accuracy for McStay?
He's doesn't play a deep forward role where he does nothing but mark and goal.
He's actually very active around half forward and the wing.
He's a link player, just due to the gamestyle we play he's the get out option on the boundary.
He marks the ball or kills it to the boundary.
This is essential to our movement when we are playing conservative.
Goals are great, but they're a bonus.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
Have a look at Zorko's first goal on the highlights. Hippy dropped a mark that Brownie would hake taken week in week out. This wasn't the only time Hipwood dropped what he should have taken. Keeping your feet after not taking a mark is important but being able to take marks is more. We are now a side that has a real chance to go all the way but we have one weakness and that is up forward.

McStay suffers from unrealistic expectations. He will never be a 40 goal a year CHF, a dominating player and I fear Hipwood will be similar. I will put it this way: McStay would get a game in most sides but not all.

Think what our forward would be if Charlie got injured. I have absolutely no dislike of McStay in any form what so ever ( and I take no offence) but the way our three tall forwards play limits the impact they all can have. Didn't see a leading forward all day after the first minute or two, where a pass went astray.

Richmond and GWS have multiple key forwards.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
With how Silvagni and De Konig went I am concerned about second talls play against us. Really would have liked to see Payne get a run. Harris and Darcy are fine but feel more than a few teams will isolate Adams and make us pay.

Dev looked good. He was getting a lot of verbal instructions from senior players and where to go but he looks a bit of a natural.

Ah Chee and Birch both were a bit average. Hard to tell what we do with them at this stage. Both need time.

We really have a heap of players who can rotate through the forward line/wing. Makes us dangerous
No secret I am bullish on Payne and some of the other young guys so great to see Starc and Dev do well, and push for round 1 selection.. The sooner we can Payne in the quicker he will adjust to AFL level. Took Andrews and Hippy awhile (as we had a weaker team a few years ago) I don't believe in gifting AFL games but as we have seen when some of the young guys are given a chance they perform. We saw last year and in the two trial games what Adams brings he has been in the AFL system for a number of years now and whilst it is useful, against tall forwards a taller, heavier and arguably faster Payne would be the better option. As has been noted his preseason has been good. Would have liked Skinner to have a run yesterday, but no doubt Fages picked what he thinks is his current best 22. Not overly exited about yesterdays result. Carlton already had a few players out (injured) before the game and then a few were rested at half time. Appears from comments post match that Birch will play round 1 against Hawkes well Starc has to be there.

Back