Carlton v Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

To those criticising the commentary. Hasn't the penny dropped? To most Victorians it's still really the VFL with a couple of interstate sides added for TV revenue.

As to McStay and his critics: seriously he is a total superstar. Sure he misses the unmissable, falls over his own feet, can't chase etc etc. Sure he kicked 2- one from an OOB which had zero to do with him. Admittedly a great goal which noone expected. Maybe this explains what goes on in his head. However, back to the mundane- we need more of him for when our midfield gets blanked. Like it will be by the more astute coaches.

I could hardly believe my ears when one of the commentators (Healy ?) grumbled about "that being a lucky goal" after Dan slotted it from the boundary o_O

Even Huddo sounded biased to me.

He sounded decidedly downbeat calling Zorko's goal in the first quarter

I could hardly believe my ears when one of the commentators (Healy ?) grumbled about "that being a lucky goal" after Dan slotted it from the boundary o_O

Even Huddo sounded biased to me.

He sounded decidedly downbeat calling Zorko's goal in the first quarter

They always try and focus more on the teams you want improvement from. The only teams im interested in during the pre-season is Carlton, GC, the Dees etc.. they know this and offer a lean toward them in their call I reckon. When we were shite there was so much interest in our pre-season - just looking for signs.

Would like games pumped into Starce. He's got "it" in spades. Clean under pressure, nice pace, great kick. Me like.
He showed he had it in 2018 and again in the few games last year. His fit body and focused mind this year will see him cement a spot in the best 22. Gotta lock him in contractually for another 3yrs at least.

He showed he had it in 2018 and again in the few games last year. His fit body and focused mind this year will see him cement a spot in the best 22. Gotta lock him in contractually for another 3yrs at least.

Locked in until the end of 2021 which is fine. I think we've reached the point where we don't need to sweat on contracts for a young guns. We probably need to adjust the idea of losing some of our kids. We've got a solid 18-20 and we manage fitness and injury better than any club in the league. Probably have to accept some of our younger players will have to leave to find senior opportunities.

No one in their right mind?

Cameron was worth, on a good day, pick #19. Granted, he was contracted, but Reid still managed to get pick #12.

He got massive overs on the Lever & Cameron deals.

Cameron was worth, on a good day, pick #19. Granted, he was contracted, but Reid still managed to get pick #12.

He got massive overs on the Lever & Cameron deals.

Are you implying Sith are in their right mind?!

Watched our women smash the Indian team so had to wait for the full replay to be uploaded.

A pretty good watch. So happy Berry is looking so good, I mean look at the hair! (his footy is pretty good too)

Great insight into what Dev can become, some nice turns in congestion, and with Starc and Bailey showing their stuff we have some conundrums with selections which is cool

Not much else to say which hasn't been covered. For what the match was, I'm happy with how we did. Onto the season proper!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched our women smash the Indian team so had to wait for the full replay to be uploaded.

A pretty good watch. So happy Berry is looking so good, I mean look at the hair! (his footy is pretty good too)

Great insight into what Dev can become, some nice turns in congestion, and with Starc and Bailey showing their stuff we have some conundrums with selections which is cool

Not much else to say which hasn't been covered. For what the match was, I'm happy with how we did. Onto the season proper!

I'm glad I'm not the only person happy to see him growing back the mane. Beautiful head of hair. Loved that it was shaved off for a marvellous cause but was hoping he'd grow it back.

I'm glad I'm not the only person happy to see him growing back the mane. Beautiful head of hair. Loved that it was shaved off for a marvellous cause but was hoping he'd grow it back.

I swear he's like Samson. When he's got long hair his form magically improves.

Edit: they reminds me - remember that pre season where Bewick had long hair and a beard. He looked fantastic, then got a hair cut before round 1 and had a woeful game.

Went to the game yesterday and it was great to be surrounded by so many lions supporters! Lots of old Fitzroy people in the crowd too.

A few observations:
Rayner - Hit the contest hard multiple times. Unsure if it was shown on screen but absolutely crunched Cripps near our goals at one stoppage and took Cripps a few moments to get back up. He moved well.
Starce - Beast. Cut through multiple tackles on the wing and when he tackled he really crunched a few. I loved the ferocity he played with.
Berry - Was everywhere and was also giving alot of instructions, very active as a leader.
Clug - So silky. When he gets the ball you know each time he will take a good option and it will more than likely be a clean disposal.

All in all we were a different team in the second half, it looked like more urgency and an appetite for the contest.

McCarthy has been equally as lively as bailey this preseason, he may have just been a bit down. Also don't think we net much by dropping Rayner for starc

True, but we may have reached a point where "bit down in form" gets rotated with other players to see who is showing more consistency. I believe this year we may have replacements who are good enough to lift us up a level overall.

This includes Adams vs Payne, McCarthy/Rayner vs Starc, McStay/OMac vs Skinner and Witherden/Birchall vs Answerth/Ah Chee.

We can see CEY, Ely Smith and Matheison are getting pushed by Deven already.

True, but we may have reached a point where "bit down in form" gets rotated with other players to see who is showing more consistency. I believe this year we may have replacements who are good enough to lift us up a level overall.

This includes Adams vs Payne, McCarthy/Rayner vs Starc, McStay/OMac vs Skinner and Witherden/Birchall vs Answerth/Ah Chee.

We can see CEY, Ely Smith and Matheison are getting pushed by Deven already.
But my point is McCarthy has been consistently as impactful as Bailey this preseason. His game yesterday is not in his form line, it's an outlier imo. Fwiw i think we should shake things up a bit more too

But my point is McCarthy has been consistently as impactful as Bailey this preseason. His game yesterday is not in his form line, it's an outlier imo. Fwiw i think we should shake things up a bit more too

I totally get what you're saying, but you didn't rate lincs game yesterday? I though he did really well, his tackling pressure was fantastic and he moved into space in the fifty really well to offer a good option

I wasn’t tickled pick about that performance but not disappointed either.
As most have said I was impressed with both Starc and Bailey.
Was surprised to look at the stats after the game to see that Starcevich only had 11 disposals. They were obviously all quality for him to stand out the way he did. I hope he gets a gig for round 1.
Bailey will be in the team without doubt.
It is definitely in the half back possie where the team gets a bit iffy and harder to pick. For me, I don’t think AhChee will get a spot, hasn’t done enough to convince me.
Answerth, although he didn’t do a lot in this game, offers so much more than AhChee defensively and that’s where he wins out at this stage.
Was a good hit out before round 1.
Bring on the Hawks!

I totally get what you're saying, but you didn't rate lincs game yesterday? I though he did really well, his tackling pressure was fantastic and he moved into space in the fifty really well to offer a good option
Not everybody can get 20 disposals and kick 5 goals.
Yeah, I’m talking to you Charlie!
He makes it so hard for everyone else to look good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back