Game Day Carlton v St Kilda Practice Match Gameday Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

and here we go, 2 weeks says Robbo. Now to wait for Gerard to open his show monday with a 18 minute monologue on why williams should be banned for life.

lol

Not sure what williams was thinking. I hope he doesnt cop a week - but I reckon he will.

Controversial opinion but I think he's (Kennedy) a better marking forward option than a resting cripps inside 50

Agree with the post but obviously Crippa will play and JSOS can do Kennedy's role forward (although not as accurate a set shot) and could pinch hit in the middle just as well.

This should not be seen as a negative but I think Kennedy should look for another club because I reckon he'll get games at the right club who can use his skill set. We have too many players ahead of him.

I'm hoping we just used last night predominantly for what it was, a practice match, shake off some cobwebs and try some things. My main hope is since Saints and Richmond both possess such a swarm of small forwards we decided not to give Richmond too much of an insight of how we'll tackle them so tried out some b and c scenarios predominantly.

Cripps has a kryptnonite in Steele and hopefully when we play them again for real he figures it out. And F-me but how does Membrey turns into superman against us always???

I'd rather at present do the 'Grigg' in the centre bounce tactic and use Pitto around the ground.. he's a terrible centre ruckman and there is no cohesion between him and our mids.

We were rusty, shaky and playing safe for a fair chunk of the game. We continue to show in bursts we can put our foot down and get serious and I hope this is something we are capable of maintaining for a whole game!

And again with those slow starts!
Jeez you missed a hell of an opportunity there

To the extent that you can draw conclusions from a practice match, it seems that (unlike our direct competition) the club has missed the opportunity to improve tactically over the off season.
Bit hard to tell when the tactics would have revolved around having at least 2 200cm key forwards and we played last night with JSOS playing the role.

I still would not do it after seeing how regularly his kicks go straight to opposition.
Oscar would need to be used as a pure defensive stopper on the 2nd tall which would help to free up Jones to play as the interceptor/third man up, which he would absolutely dominate in imo and would make us near unbeatable in the air back there with his reading of the play, would also help to stop the balls that are getting over the back when Jones or Weiters are caught in 2 minds on whether to punch or intercept and it ends up getting through.

Would have liked to see stocker and Durdin have a run tonight. Hopefully next praccy🤞🤞🤞
I think the coaches still have reservations about stocker re his repeat efforts. He is going to have to show his intent in the reserves before getting the call up. He needs the incentive to put in 100%, gifting him games on his undoubted talent isnt going to happen this year. Not when we have other players that will leave nothing on the park. They might not be quite as talented as stocker, but effort will be what coaches demand going forward eg newnes. We have too much depth to be gifting games anymore- we dont need to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with the post but obviously Crippa will play and JSOS can do Kennedy's role forward (although not as accurate a set shot) and could pinch hit in the middle just as well.

This should not be seen as a negative but I think Kennedy should look for another club because I reckon he'll get games at the right club who can use his skill set. We have too many players ahead of him.
Guys that are 23rd to 30th on your list being good enough to get games and many clubs is what a top side has. We need this sort of depth

Currently finishing off his first ever "full" pre season so is underdone. We don't taper the training before the season proper so did a good job to finish the game.
Expect a few of the boys to be running more "on top of the ground" next up.

I am a big fan of young Fog, but would not mind if he has some conditioning in the twos with so many vying for round one berths in his positional range.
A bit perplexed why Gibbons was not used. With seemingly extended quarters an "oxygen brother" certainly would be handy to carry some workload.

I see this as a positive. It tells me the coaches know a fair bit about our list and want to get real gametime experience into certain players, to see how they play whilst under physical stress. This isnt possible at training. By all reports Gibbons effort is already a known known, he has nothing to prove or assess . other players might be less known. Its an ideal time to make these assessments- against quality opposition but without 4 points on the line

Robinson already written the coroners report for Hunter Clarke

how does this guy maintain a job?

it’s probably a week but the way Robinson carries on he should receive an asada style ban
Based on his recent Top 50 article it seems that he does not care much about his credibility as a journalist

Oscar would need to be used as a pure defensive stopper on the 2nd tall which would help to free up Jones to play as the interceptor/third man up, which he would absolutely dominate in imo and would make us near unbeatable in the air back there with his reading of the play, would also help to stop the balls that are getting over the back when Jones or Weiters are caught in 2 minds on whether to punch or intercept and it ends up getting through.
I do not see Oscar good enough for any role such as pure defensive stopper. He looks the type of player that jack of all trades but master of none. A poor man's Jason Saddington type is what he reminds me of. Big pass...

Missing a player or even 2 in an arc can generally be covered, especially in the middle or even forward if they aren't talls

But missing H, Charlie, Levi, Gov does hurt the Teague gameplan
This.
We know DT likes his tall forwards, so missing all of them did hurt.

Ball movement as ad hoc as ever, irrespective of personnel - we'd want to be much much better in round 1
And you don't think having a couple of 200cm marking targets up forward would straighten us up a bit?

Overall a little disappointed with the result. Clearly missing the talls up forward.
Harry looked like he was going through the motions when he was out there. Would be nice if Howard actually went for the ball rather than just tunnelling.

Weiters won't play as bad as that first quarter again giving up 3 goals. Had a shocker

Some of the kicking was terrible. Will need to stop just giving the ball back to the opposition especially coming out of the backline.

If we select McDonald it can only be as KPD depth as he is a liability with the ball in hand. Cannot be allowed to kick it.

We seem to take the wings and let our opponents have the centre of the ground. Lose possession on the wings then it comes back quickly through the middle. The problem is magnified on the undersized Marvel stadium.

I had a bad feeling Hill was going to carve us up when I saw Setterfield go to him. In a game for points we need to play a better runner on him shutting down his space and make him pay a price for his kicks.

Was disappointed by Willo and Martin's output. Need more from them.

Overall a little disappointed with the result. Clearly missing the talls up forward.
Harry looked like he was going through the motions when he was out there. Would be nice if Howard actually went for the ball rather than just tunnelling.

Weiters won't play as bad as that first quarter again giving up 3 goals. Had a shocker

Some of the kicking was terrible. Will need to stop just giving the ball back to the opposition especially coming out of the backline.

If we select McDonald it can only be as KPD depth as he is a liability with the ball in hand. Cannot be allowed to kick it.

We seem to take the wings and let our opponents have the centre of the ground. Lose possession on the wings then it comes back quickly through the middle. The problem is magnified on the undersized Marvel stadium.

I had a bad feeling Hill was going to carve us up when I saw Setterfield go to him. In a game for points we need to play a better runner on him shutting down his space and make him pay a price for his kicks.

Was disappointed by Willo and Martin's output. Need more from them.

Practice makes perfect so they say ... but don't worry this was just a practice game ....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back