Game Day Carlton v St Kilda Practice Match Gameday Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 26, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Agree with the post but obviously Crippa will play and JSOS can do Kennedy's role forward (although not as accurate a set shot) and could pinch hit in the middle just as well.

This should not be seen as a negative but I think Kennedy should look for another club because I reckon he'll get games at the right club who can use his skill set. We have too many players ahead of him.
Yep Matty is really good depth for either JSOS or Gov, I really rate his forward craft, you can see he played that role quite often as a junior

We regularly kicked deep to a one on one in our forward line but it was Cripps or Moore and the Saints rebounded, replace them with McKay or Casboult (or a fully fit Charlie) and we are taking those marks 80% of the time.

maybe 80% maybe not - even 40% of the time sees a very different game and result- these teams that play at 100mph from the get go run out of legs by midway through 3rd quarter- which is exactly what happened - Teague's obvious mucking around with positional play and rotations and team selection made it pretty clear to me that this was about getting hard running into the players he definately wants to see on teh park - betwen the arcs - and maybe giving the backline a severe test.

We are a MCG team not a marvel stadium team. Saints like playing there because they are a Mickey Mouse club and it suits their game style. Had it been at the MCG yesterday with a healthy side l would expect a way different result

We'll never get anywhere if we're just 'a MCG team'. There should be no excuses, if you're good enough you win wherever you play.

We'll never get anywhere if we're just 'a MCG team'. There should be no excuses, if you're good enough you win wherever you play.
Good point and 'winning' only counts - when there are 4 points on the table to play for...

Good point and 'winning' only counts - when there are 4 points on the table to play for...

100% correct, last night means nothing to me in a win or loss sense but even during the season proper I see people push this line about marvel, it's irrelevant in my opinion.

Here is my take on the game :

The Aints couldnt stop 90+ points from a side that had Oscar McDonald playing as a ruck and CHF with Callum Moore as a ruck forward and main target a bloke that turns his head away from the incoming football in front of goals - neither on our list - and no they didnt take their foot off the pedal - if anything we did with 5 minutes to go gifting them 3 goals on top of the 3-4 that the maggotts dished out to them ...

the better truth is that Teague had his foot off the pedal from the start and just wanted blokes to get hard running time into their legs.
I like your post. I re watched the 2nd half..admittedly I changed channels quite a bit last nite due to umpires and some stupid stuff we did. Re watching, I thought we were pretty good.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
We regularly kicked deep to a one on one in our forward line but it was Cripps or Moore and the Saints rebounded, replace them with McKay or Casboult (or a fully fit Charlie) and we are taking those marks 80% of the time.
Guv can do that too.

I reckon they are on

I like your post. I re watched the 2nd half..admittedly I changed channels quite a bit last nite due to umpires and some stupid stuff we did. Re watching, I thought we were pretty good.

Teaguey was horsing around - I thought it was obvious before the game even started given who played and where they played...giddy up!

NavyBlueHeaven

Senior List
Oct 7, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
He did cross the line - but barely. I’m glad we finally have players willing to touch the line and show aggression and make the opponent know they are there and coming for them.

In the end it was executed slightly wrong but I would rather that than no pressure at all that became the hallmark of our club in recent years.

Hopefully gets assessed as low impact and he gets a fine. He played out game

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

BlueBlood15

Team Captain
May 25, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
On the MCG/Marvel point, we’ve been a better side at the MCG for years and it’s been a problem given how many games we play at Marvel. To play Marvel well you’ve generally got to be quick and skilful. We’ve had neither for years. Now the speed is there. We’ve added two speedsters. We’ve replaced some older bodies with youthful speed. Guys like Fisher, Dow, Walsh, Martin and Willo aren’t speedsters but they’re quicker than many others we’ve played over the years. The skills are a work in progress but they should also be better than over the past few years given our recruiting and maturity of youth. I suspect the gap between our performances at the MCG and Marvel decreases this year and we’ll be a much better club for it. We can’t expect to play finals if we struggle on one of our home grounds

Yeah, I tried that but it doesn't work for me. I have zero detatchment factor when Carlton play.:D

NavyBlueHeaven

Senior List
Oct 7, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Watched the game live, and now on tv.
Saints looked a bit slicker and sharper all night. I liked the way we fought it out though. We ran the game out really well.
My obs:

Williams- tough, hard runner
Saad- looked a bit rusty, will get better
Fogarty - promising
Cripps- rusty
Doc- competitor, iffy disposal
Ed- rusty
Walsh- jet
Murphy- classy, we’ve found his spot
Fish- creative, we’ve found his spot
Jones- our best
Setterfiield- next best
Plow- rarely beaten
Dow- much better
JOSOS- competes, gives 100%
Martin- meh
You missed a MEH and that was Moore. How he is even considered a chance for a list spot is beyond me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kernafides

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
Old Social Club
AFL Club
Carlton
Interesting u say that, what I saw was him breaking the line some great handballs to open scoring opportunities & he laid a few solid tackles. He was directly responsible for 3 or 4 shots on goal

Each to their own. If we are focused just on the younger kids I liked more of what I saw from LOB. I say younger because there comes a point where we have to expect more than just a few nice handballs. To progress we need the likes of Dow, LOB, cunners etc to stop being bit players....need to project more like setters

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Saints will be in the same pot we are hopefully aiming for. Someone today or yesterday in media rated them top 4 .... LOL!

Plenty still to be seen, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do finish top 4.

Have recruited for a finals tilt, and they style of play has been given a genuine boost with the new rules. They might have timed it perfectly.

Can anyone tell me why Sam Mcclire bags us all the time.Such a negative person considering he ‘barracks’ for us.Dosent really have a balanced opinion.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sam McClure

@sam_mcclure

If Carlton have learned anything tonight, it’s that Jack Silvagni is in their best team. He’s clean, he competes and he plays multiple positions. It’s not that hard to see.

BlueTongue

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2009
The Void
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
TEAM 17 (Flags)
Can anyone tell me why Sam Mcclire bags us all the time.Such a negative person considering he ‘barracks’ for us.Dosent really have a balanced opinion.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Simple - because he is an over-opinionated, my opinion is right always, me-centric, Flog of the highest order. I am embarrassed he 'barracks' for us.

carlton_99

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal & NY Knicks
1614930850926.png

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
Charlie is the one when it comes to one vs one marking he would win the contest 9/10 times as a deep forward just has an inate ability that is reserved for the very best, let’s hope we see him back in the second half of the year as he is the one that can take us to another level.

Again I loved what I saw of Obrien in terms of his ball use he is an undoubted talent for putting the ball where the player needs to run, that kick to release Cuners was exceptional and something that you just can not teach, him kicking to where the forwards need to lead, instead of where they are on top of there heads, will transform our forward entries and make Harry look like a superstar.

I used to oft wonder where this fragility of mind came from with regard to carlton supporters and the big bad media commentators - then I stopped................
I think we need a good minute here to contemplate the not oft seen, but lovely word - 'oft'.

Back