Game Day Carlton v St Kilda Practice Match Gameday Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Having just watched the game i was really impressed with the performances of Fisher, Dow, Jsos, saad, zac (although not impressed by the opening incident), fogarty, jones and pittonett.

Overall i thought we did ok. Saints were very good but we kept in touch most of the way and considering we were missing levi and mcgov. We still don't look as smooth and synergistic as the better sides when moving the ball forward although at times it looked good. Few times we got a chain of several handballs but just couldn't capitalise. I think we will improve in this area as the season progresses.

you're suggesting the afl might interfere?

giphy.gif

Well said. I do not mind Setters on one wing if the other is O'Brien, Walsh, Fisher, Honey or Philp but the sooner we move beyond Ed and Newnes and only have them as emergencies the closer we get to being a truly classy team.
I think Fischer is good frewheeling like last night -- Fp is just a name these days he still gets Helpup the ground to help link play .. I agree that once players like Ed and newnes can be moved by past by better skilled players with mature bodies we will improve as a side ..

I think Fischer is good frewheeling like last night -- Fp is just a name these days he still gets Helpup the ground to help link play .. I agree that once players like Ed and newnes can be moved by past by better skilled players with mature bodies we will improve as a side ..
Ed doesn’t finish top 3 in our best and fairest year after year for nothing, we have no one else who can lock down like him.
I agree on FP just being a name, Fisher & Murphy turned up in defence and were basically extra mids at times.

It is not overly surprising if we so reluctant to change the main assistant coach that been there so long. I have a slight concern we do not have a real head coach and it is a group thing of coaches running the show rather than Teague truly directing this is how we are playing and others just help out. Hope that later is true but signs in last year and a bit seem to show despite change of name of head coach there is a lot still the same. It feels like to me, the club, sacked Bolton and just made Teague figure head but they really just gave the reigns to previous group of assistants to run it together and that is why it feels like not much has changed other than hearing a different voice in media at coach press conferences. I would hope that just in my imagination but I get scared it could actually be not far off the mark. Or maybe Teague is just not independent enough as a head coach so it just seems that way to me.
It would be interesting to know what the situation is amongst the line/assistant/development coaches unit is, what type of connection Teague and his assistants have with their development/working/training/game day relationship...
Just want to see some type of progress this season with the things that could maybe stopping us from progressing into a legitimate good team, one that produces all the necessary key factors that will make us a true contender... Whatever this year produces we can’t sit on our hands, if needed by the years end we must be prepared to make the tough but obvious decisions and move on certain people that aren’t capable of the job their position holds...

I was there last night, yeah, some of umpiring was really sh*t and not surprised at the booing. Like SOS, I watched but rarely got excited because I know it is a practice match. I did get excited at some bits of play by Williamson, Fisher etc. but at end of the day, it is just a practice match. I more frown upon the people getting excited at Kyle Mingoue songs by ground mic guy. Cringeworthy stuff. The Locomotion, give me a ******* break, ha ha
Could have been worse, could have belted out ‘especially for you‘

. Whatever this year produces we can’t sit on our hands, if needed by the years end we must be prepared to make the tough but obvious decisions and move on certain people that aren’t capable of the job their position holds...
I thought we were at that stage when we lost to Hawks.
I'm less tolerant than most I guess.

Probably a much better view of where we are at this week, Saints look pretty good and they exposed us in a few areas. Their forward entries were better than ours. We work a lot harder for our goals relying on contested marks and ground level play whereas they got more from hitting up leads. Our kicking is a problem, we are carrying too many who have to "kick within their limits" and that's why we have to work so much harder than the more skilled teams but it's not all ordinary kicking, our forward line is stagnant and flat footed, very few quality leads. Our kick it long inside 50 to a contest as soon as we are in range style of play is just poor footy. I thought the rest of our game was pretty good though but gee we need a polish up.

Guys like Walsh, Curnow, Setterfield and Newnes they try to lower the eyes and hit leading or difficult targets and they turn the ball over so they kick long to contests and that just creats s**t footy. It's a real problem for us that we carry too many of these types of ball users and St Kilda exposed this. On the other hand I felt they used the ball a lot better than we did.

Saints look a level above us, doesn't mean we look bad, there's a lot of good about us but we have some improvement to make. We can do some exciting things but how we play when we're going forward needs a lot of work and most of that is better leading and better kicking so we aren't seeing the ball go back down the other end and so we're kicking a few more easier goals.

Silvagni - He was really good, when he's marking over head he's having a good day. He's great in the ground level contests and he knows how to lead.

Dow - Another play I liked, he's chasing and making tackles now which is what I have been waiting to see. He's not afraid of body contact and he's great with his hands. He's got to be in the team. His kicking has looked ok.

Murphy - He's up and down but he played ok. He's in Gibbon's role at the moment.

O'Brien - Came on late, looked ok, hit a nice kick to a lead which we need more of.

SPS - I really liked his game, his ball use was good and he wasn't shy of the physical stuff like he has been at times, if he keeps that up then he's going to go places.

Williams - He was excellent. Good combination of skills, body strength and speed. He's just what we need.

Fogarty - Thought he was ok, doesn't get it a lot but he uses it pretty well.

Cripps - Didn't play that well but I am sure he will get into the game.

McKay - Was struggling and then became injured. Wasn't a good night for him.

Jones - Had a big day in a forward line with plenty of talls playing well. He's looking pretty good.

Docherty - Was ok but his kicking was very second rate.

Walsh - He's playing well but his kicking really lets him down. It's not his strength and he really needs to get better in this area, had a poor game by foot.

Plowman - Struggled a bit at times but was ok. Struggles on the real big players and got done for pace at times on some quicker ones. The new rules, if they open the game up won't suite him.

Martin - Had a stinker but his last quarter was good when moved back. My biggest criticism of him is he doesn't back it up. Plays really well one week and the next week can't get out of first gear. Does he need to work harder on his recovery? I'm not sure.

Weitering - Had a big job and was going ok until injury.

Fisher - I thought he was great, he's much better with the contact part of the game and he just did so many good things however not having a right foot cost him a shot on goal.

Pittonet - he was really good, he's certainly in great form.

Cuningham - Came on late and did ok. Can't take much from his game.

Williamson - Had his hands full defending and he played a decent game.

Newnes - Didn't notice too much of him to be honest.

Curnow - Really did nothing that excited me, would have rather we gave that spot to Stocker.

Saad - He was excellent, at times he made mistakes but he's a high risk player and that's what you'll get.

Setterfield - had just an average game this week, nothing too exciting.
Your first paragraph is absolutely spot on Gbat... 👍 nice post...

It's a shame there aren't any more practice matches. Stocker is a hard at his onballer who is supposed to be a good kick and this is a side that's midfield lacks damaging kicks, surely he's a player that needs to be looked at. I wouldn't be playing someone like Curnow ahead of Stocker if what we saw in this match is what we're going to get from him this season. We need to be better by foot, a lot better.

As for our forwards, we keep playing Cuningham and he's ok but it's Owies who consistently kicks goals at reserves level. I can see that he may be a bit more raw however that doesn't mean we have got this one right.
The flip side G’man is if we can start producing the type of footy like the Saints played last night, although Cunners is very much under utilized through the midfield as a half forward he and others would significantly benefit from that type of quick clean and skilled ball movement, it makes a significant difference the way you bring the ball into your I50...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The flip side G’man is if we can start producing the type of footy like the Saints played last night, although Cunners is very much under utilized through the midfield as a half forward he and others would significantly benefit from that type of quick clean and skilled ball movement, it makes a significant difference the way you bring the ball into your I50...
Saints look pretty slick forward of centre in what I seen up close.

Saints look pretty slick forward of centre in what I seen up close.
Watching from home they carved us up with ease in centre bounces and stoppages their spread, run and quick ball movement was unfortunately great too watch...
Their running connection using slick linkups with zigzagging angles was top notch, their skills by hand and feet were amazing...
I liked the way they took the game on last year, looks like they have the potential too go up next level if they produce that hard two way running, their pressure without the ball was impressive imo... They play in a manner I’d love us to play in...

Yeah, Kylie and Scott from neighbours song... anyways....
oh *, you just rekindled an old vague memory of hearing that s**t back in late 80's or something.
Charlene and Scott, FFS, god they knew how to market bad s**t well then for the masses to buy into.

oh fu**, you just rekindled an old vague memory of hearing that sh*t back in late 80's or something.
Charlene and Scott, FFS, god they knew how to market bad sh*t well then for the masses to buy into.
Yeah the 80’s, some of the best years of my life, but also had it’s fair share of moments you can’t take back as well...
Hairdo’s and clothing fashion head that list...

You wonder why Cripps has a quiet night..

Starts the stoppage being held, doesn't take possession but tackled on the way through.

PicsArt_03-05-09.08.11.jpg

Still without possession, opponent focused only on grabbing his arm to impede run at it.

PicsArt_03-05-09.24.36.jpg

In anticipation of Cripps taking possession, opponent grabs and starts the tackle prior to him doing so.

PicsArt_03-05-09.21.04.jpg

After finally taking possession, opponent pins him in a headlock, while another runs in to pin his arm for good measure.

PicsArt_03-05-09.14.07.jpg

Umpire calls ball up, better luck next time.

You wonder why Cripps has a quiet night..

Starts the stoppage being held, doesn't take possession but tackled on the way through.

View attachment 1070987

Still without possession, opponent focused only on grabbing his arm to impede run at it.

View attachment 1070991

In anticipation of Cripps taking possession, opponent grabs and starts the tackle prior to him doing so.

View attachment 1070994

After finally taking possession, opponent pins him in a headlock, while another runs in to pin his arm for good measure.

View attachment 1070996

If you could do one of these breakdowns for each stoppage I'd buy you a 7 at your choice of hotels....

After finally taking possession, opponent pins him in a headlock,

View attachment 1070996
The worst part of this is I see this a zillion times over, from any game, where some guy is tackled over the shoulder clearly and no free kick is paid against said player for illegal tackle. Yet, I hear dipshits parroting clowns like Clarkson where they say we had so many tackles and hardly a free kick for holding the ball. So we get this push to pay more holding the balls and none of these clowns even notice half the ******* so called tackles are illegal anyway. So the guy going for the ball, or wants to go for the ball has everything against him, both in dipshits are asking for holding the ball for any sloppy or incorrect tackle and even if he tackled incorrectly the likelyhood of the illegal tackles getting a penalty and discouraged is not even on the radar both in the industry and supporters on talk back radio. It is beyond a joke how tackle number gone through roof in last few decades and a lot of the reason for it on stats sheet is crap like this a zillion times any game , any round.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back