Game Day Carlton v St Kilda Practice Match Gameday Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps Teague should play Cripos, Ed, Setters at stoppages

Outside those three we will struggle Azza, the other players need to step up and get used to playing consistently .. especially outside of the centre square ones ;)

Did you at any time of writing the above stop to consider how riduculous it may read to suggest that I am judging Barker's 'character'?

It did - so I re-read it before posting just to make sure.

If that's not a crack at his character either you're not very articulate or I'm reading the wrong post.

Again, none of us would know.

But these are the facts

- Rated top 6 for total stoppages

- Improve numbers from the year before, with Cripps having a down year

-Teague is the senior coach, not Barker or any other assistant, who work under his instructions, gameplan, tactics
I guess I gave you more credit than you where due as in a previous post you seemed pretty definitive on stantons responsibility over Barkers for how we exit a stoppage

It did - so I re-read it before posting just to make sure.

If that's not a crack at his character either you're not very articulate or I'm reading the wrong post.

I wouldn't presume to and it isnt in my nature to judge people's 'character' - I am coming to the conclusion that Barker and whoever else is responsible for midfield play - hasn't developed a player competency level capable of matching better teams. We should be doing a lot better and I am speculating on why we aren't maybe the fault isnt with Barker or Stanton - maybe it is all on Teague - but the line responsibility as mentioned by others - is Barker and Stanton's - both reporting to Teague presumably. Barker might be patient - Carlton supporters have been patient enough - to ask for a semblance of structured midfield play and to ask to see some semblance of support for each other isn't a big ask - I am coming to the conclusion that we just dont have the coaching expertese on hand able to get the best out of what is a very very good list.

You wonder why Cripps has a quiet night..

Starts the stoppage being held, doesn't take possession but tackled on the way through.

View attachment 1070987

Still without possession, opponent focused only on grabbing his arm to impede run at it.

View attachment 1070991

In anticipation of Cripps taking possession, opponent grabs and starts the tackle prior to him doing so.

View attachment 1070994

After finally taking possession, opponent pins him in a headlock, while another runs in to pin his arm for good measure.

View attachment 1070996

Umpire calls ball up, better luck next time.
It happens to Crippa week in,week out! The umps need to open their bloody eyes and react to the treatment Crippa cops.

Then tell me how you would assess the difference. You even highlighted a game that we won the clearances, Barker's area of responsibility
Like I said I don’t rate clearances as much as the quality and structure
I don’t rate blind kicks to gain territory
I don’t know where the roles are drawn hence I’m happy to share the blame

Kick to targets in quickly . Shout out to Paddy Dow’s hand passes .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

That stat is although good in us gaining first possession at times has absolutely nothing to do with how poorly we are in many other aspects of our midfield structures and system....
And yet these not the topic of the post that I quoted, and for which I provided evidence to the contrary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then tell me how you would assess the difference. You even highlighted a game that we won the clearances, Barker's area of responsibility

Mate if Carlton is giving a noobie assistant coach in Stanton responsibility for how the midfield is structured and how it moves the ball from clearances and into forward lines with repeatable structured and well drilledd systems - we are in deep deep deep shyte - and you know it.

I couldnt care less about a praccy match W/L - I DO care a LOT about seeing how the ball is moved and we are nowhere near competitive in this regard compared to the better teams. Lob's kick to Cuningham was a standout A grade passage of play - I saw abotu 30 of those types of kicks from Richmond last night - and maybe 20 from Collingwood.

Getting ball is one thing - doing something with it is what the real game is about and you know it.

From above, last year 4th for stoppages, 6th for centre clearances

I think where we need to develop is our spread and footskills. Spread can improve, footskills is difficult, unless Teague adds some tempo layers

Wondering if this Barker focus would be an issue if we won Thursday, a game where not one stoppage included the trio of Cripps, Ed, Setters, the main combatants from last year
I just think from what I’ve seen of him in this position he doesn’t have the capacity to elevate us I nto a better more productive midfield prospect, now if I’m proven wrong I’d have no hesitation in putting the hand up and saying i got it wrong, Stanton as well...

It’s the poor positioning, lack of man on man accountability, allowing multiple opposition players unmarked, our players continue too all go in for the contests together allowing their opponents loose numbers to exit contests unmarked, then our poor system in our ball use exiting and linkup from winning the initial contested ball also...

Not just Barker’s stoppage setups but Stanton has responsibility with his midfield spread and strategic plans too...

Our spread is still at times really average, we are hesitant when we run the ball, we don’t exit the contest and carry the ball with great overlap, confidence or conviction, agree our ball use certainly lets us down more than it should with poor unpressured turnovers which hurts us badly...

Sample size of last year, his area of responsibility, 4th in stoppages, 6th in centre clearances.

These are facts, not opinion based

How do you know another side hasn't tried to poach him?
So you found 1 good year out of 15, think you pretty much confirmed to me it is time for him to go.

I just think from what I’ve seen of him in this position he doesn’t have the capacity to elevate us I nto a better more productive midfield prospect, now if I’m proven wrong I’d have no hesitation in putting the hand up and saying i got it wrong, Stanton as well...

It’s the poor positioning, lack of man on man accountability, allowing multiple opposition players unmarked, our players continue too all go in for the contests together allowing their opponents loose numbers to exit contests unmarked, then our poor system in our ball use exiting and linkup from winning the initial contested ball also...

Not just Barker’s stoppage setups but Stanton has responsibility with his midfield spread and strategic plans too...

Our spread is still at times really average, we are hesitant when we run the ball, we don’t exit the contest and carry the ball with great overlap, confidence or conviction, agree our ball use certainly lets us down more than it should with poor unpressured turnovers which hurts us badly...

Yeah we don’t take to many chances . That will improve . We are a pushing team now

:tearsofjoy:

096f2d8b82c371c7436df27c245fa56a
That was classic

SOS.gif

Season hasn’t even started yet fbb but I support your concern . Would love Voss as the midfield but have to support David T . It’s on the players to excel..

Players just as responsible NB, some of their actions are definitely played on instinct in most situations, the better players do this best and more regularly...
Having really efficient Midfield and Stoppage structures and game plans make such a difference with impact your engine room and ball movement operates...

Jack looks ripped and he has played 50 odd games. Where do we play him. Midfielder/ bullock .

Jack is a forward. Natural. Last 2 weeks he has played KP and acquitted himself very well.
Once he starts to believe in his ability and starts taking those marks, he’ll be a great tall with defensive pressure!!!

I wish the side showed half the mongrel in evidence on this board - we'd be premierships favourites.

My 2c on Barker ( fwiw)

I dont know him and wouldnt recognise him from a bar of soap.
I knwo his 'type' very well.

He is teh 'type' who spends a lot of time 'positioning' himself in organisations/clubs - always wearing the "I'm here to help" hat.
He is the type that wishes to inherit the earth - because meakness is his strength.
He is also teh type that would dissuade the Club from hiring any person(s) with genuine smarts/track record or real drive - accountability is something he redefines every month.
He is so convinced about this strategy and philosophy - that he has (just yesterday) gone on public record to say he has 'withdrawn from coaching for now and patience is important'...wytf was that interview about?

I think he has had enough time to demonstate leadership and ability at Carlton.
What his track record shows is that depsite a plethora of high pick talent - we are bog ordinary between the arcs. In fact we are so far behind Richmond levels of performance , skill, application and execution - that it is embarassing.
Best if you’d stopped at don’t know him from a bar of soap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back