Game Day Carlton v St Kilda Practice Match Gameday Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

That period half way into 3rd quarter till the last 5 minutes was really enjoyable - put a smile on my dial.

Stuff that made me wince:
I enjoyed the hit that Williams put on the Siants player- but on replay didnt enjoy see him launch into the bloke - fingers crossed - apart from that I thought he was the best mid for us - by a fair margin
Seeing Jones land on (with feet first and then body) right into the side of Weitering - fingers crossed the bruising wil go down sooner rather than later
Didnt enjoy Docherty with head down and making repeated basic errors - but Martin also had a shocker
hated every over the back easy goal St Kilda made for themselves - but thats poor defesive play from us- no way should over lap like that be allowed to happen so many times - still - I dont know how mcuh of that was poor rotations and miskmatches - I do know at times all I could see was white St Kilda jumpers running through the middle uncontested - no Blue in sight'Still missing regulation tackles all over the park.

Stuff that made me smile:
SOJ second half - got ius back into the game and that mark!
Pittonet's first half and goals
SPS's first half efforts
Saads goal and defensicve efforts in 4th
Lobs bullet to Cuningham - who I thought couldnt take the mark from where he started running - but not only took the mark but turned the t Kilda defender 360 degrees and burst away ...and then slotted a running goal from an acute angle and made it look - easy...
FISHER - BOG for us.
Dow doing some good things better than ever before- but still not running hard enough in defence

I also really enjoyed watching Hill pretty much set up half the game for St Kilda all on his own - what a player!!

Lack of talls in forewad line means Teague cant employ what seems ot be his game plan - win ball and kick to tall blokes - the absence of any genuine marking target for us - meant that they could rebound ease
despite all that we were still in the game till the death.
Lots to look forward to - albeit with fingers crossed every match - still.

We need continuity FFS - enough with the injuries already!

All in all a good hit out given we had no key forwards for most of the night.
Observations
Really liked Silvagni tonight. Should play round one even if Gov available
Setterfield will be a very good wingman
Dow backed it up enough to play round one.
Great to see O’Brien come on and have an impact. I’d play him ahead of Newnes.
Fisher will have a great year.
Cuningham is so quick and skillecI wish he could get more involved.
Backline besides Jones and Saad looked rusty. Given they are our strength I wouldn’t worry too much
Bring in McKay and Casboult
Play Cripps in centre and I think we straighten up a lot more.
Looking forward to round one

Don’t fortunately have the inside fluff but the outside rims of the PortMelbourne’s are sprouting out as bad, spotted one in the mirror flapping around due too the bathroom exhaust fan....
Tweezers are in high use, who would’ve thought...
s**t I reached up the other night and discovered a whole forest sprouting in my shell like, getting older really does suck.

To put the optimistic hat on...or put the pessimistic hat on.....hmmm. I guess a bit of both, because in a footy match/season there is usually both good and bad.

I think we have the personel and the age demographic pretty well on the mark now, but i really think we just need to get our players on the park, and then we just really need to re-learn how to win. It may sound obvious but it is a magical quality to possess as an individual and even more importantly as a team. Gaining and Bottling that winning feeling just aids execution and performance so much.

From all our senior players, to all our younger players, to all our coaches, they have had so few wins in their memory bank. We are having trouble getting over the hump now. But it may happen quickly or it may take a little bit longer.....but when we really get that belief of winning, winning will happen more.

I'm buying shares in this list, but patience is my friend. In my mind, i know what i'm looking for in personel and performance. We're not quite there, but it's a process. An 18 team AFL is a tough beast to tame. But we are having a redhot crack for the 1st time this century as far as i'm concerned.

Now let's concentrate on winning next game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to hear what Williamson’s role was.

Early on he was getting ragdolled by McKernan which may have been a mismatch or maybe DT was doing some learning stuff.

Didn’t seem to get into the flow of the game at all, and I like him as a player.

Yep. Willo one of my favorites, but disappointing tonight. Did work into in the last though. His fitness is good and will hold him in good stead in the season.

We can't choose who umpires our games and if we could I'm sure Nathan Williamson would be the last one we choose . Every ******* time he is the worst one .
Again like last year we had massive inside 50 tackle numbers, 15 to there 5, and got virtually no reward for it, numerous times they were caught cold or just dropped the ball and nada, holding the ball rule is beyond a joke and needs refining as it does my head in.

I wouldnt get sucked in to the type of NBA all star game format that these pre season games ultimately turn out to be. Very little defensive intensity. I think we will see it all weekend across all the games.

True, however, this new rule just makes defending much harder.

Funnily enough, when the intensity went out of the game through exhaustion scoring was harder which is different to how games have been played on a whole for such a long time now.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You hire the best available person for the job, REGARDLESS of where they've come from.
The club obviously thinks that's Kreuz at this point in time. I'm in no position to argue with that.

It's like any business hiring. There are pros and cons for promoting internally and the same for brining in fresh eyes, ears and ideas.
For all we know, Kreuz has those fresh ideas, but was under the previous ruck coach and couldn't implement them. He had a mini audition last year in the hub with the staff cutbacks and obviously showed enough to stay on in that role.
Jobs for the boys for mine and 'retire and we'll look after you for a year or two' scenario

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

We can't choose who umpires our games and if we could I'm sure Nathan Williamson would be the last one we choose . Every ******* time he is the worst one .
Anyone who knows umpires names and numbers to me goes in with a pre conceived angst against such umpire......

I wouldn't have a clue who any of them are except for razor ray and the chick (due to their media coverage)

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

As nice as it would be to hold onto the spot for midseason, after tonight's game and how thin our healthy tall stocks are, I think it would be remiss of us not to sign on Oscar.
I still would not do it after seeing how regularly his kicks go straight to opposition.

That period half way into 3rd quarter till the last 5 minutes was really enjoyable - put a smile on my dial.

Stuff that made me wince:
I enjoyed the hit that Williams put on the Siants player- but on replay didnt enjoy see him launch into the bloke - fingers crossed - apart from that I thought he was the best mid for us - by a fair margin
Seeing Jones land on (with feet first and then body) right into the side of Weitering - fingers crossed the bruising wil go down sooner rather than later
Didnt enjoy Docherty with head down and making repeated basic errors - but Martin also had a shocker
hated every over the back easy goal St Kilda made for themselves - but thats poor defesive play from us- no way should over lap like that be allowed to happen so many times - still - I dont know how mcuh of that was poor rotations and miskmatches - I do know at times all I could see was white St Kilda jumpers running through the middle uncontested - no Blue in sight'Still missing regulation tackles all over the park.

Stuff that made me smile:
SOJ second half - got ius back into the game and that mark!
Pittonet's first half and goals
SPS's first half efforts
Saads goal and defensicve efforts in 4th
Lobs bullet to Cuningham - who I thought couldnt take the mark from where he started running - but not only took the mark but turned the t Kilda defender 360 degrees and burst away ...and then slotted a running goal from an acute angle and made it look - easy...
FISHER - BOG for us.
Dow doing some good things better than ever before- but still not running hard enough in defence

I also really enjoyed watching Hill pretty much set up half the game for St Kilda all on his own - what a player!!

Lack of talls in forewad line means Teague cant employ what seems ot be his game plan - win ball and kick to tall blokes - the absence of any genuine marking target for us - meant that they could rebound ease
despite all that we were still in the game till the death.
Lots to look forward to - albeit with fingers crossed every match - still.

We need continuity FFS - enough with the injuries already!
I agree with most of this.
You mentioned Dow’s defensive running but I was more concerned with Williams defensive running (or poor attempts at).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back