Game Day Carlton v St Kilda Practice Match Gameday Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Cannot disagree more with Kreuzer.

When he was out last year he took TDK under his wing. Credited Kreuze with much of his development over the year and said he learned more in the time that he spent with Kreuzer than he had previously at the club.

That's not jobs for the boys. That's continuing a mentorship role for the bloke you hope will lead your ruck division for a decade.
I've never heard a player bag a coach out when they are employed or just been hired......

Doesn't mean there isn't someone better for the job......

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Na just don't spend my time looking at the umpire and what number they are. They are all ordinary umpires, buy ordinary to both sides. Sometime you get the rub of the green, other times they do.

Very rarely you win/lose a game because of an umpire. Players fu** up a lot more than they do.....

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk
Yeah, we certainly didn’t lose this game because of umpiring. We were our own worst enemy with some terrible ball use out of defence.

Scoreboard flattered us... Yes a praccy but we were creamed. For mine Pitt, fish, setters, Jones, Williams ok...everyone else pretty ordinary. Hopefully the Dow hysteria after a C grade bombers game dies down...he is a long way off under real heat as I said last week. Poor team defence and poor skills for mine

I agree with most of this.
You mentioned Dow’s defensive running but I was more concerned with Williams defensive running (or poor attempts at).

Williams had 6 tackles and was pressuring like a mad man. Maybe his running isn’t quite there yet but when he’s around the ball he provides so much.

Scoreboard flattered us... Yes a praccy but we were creamed. For mine Pitt, fish, setters, Jones, Williams ok...everyone else pretty ordinary. Hopefully the Dow hysteria after a C grade bombers game dies down...he is a long way off under real heat as I said last week. Poor team defence and poor skills for mine
I disagree with your take. There was some very concerning disposal, but overall I think the scoreboard reflected the game. The goals we just gifted them is a concern and hopefully our backline can work better in week 1. We definitely have much to work on.

Again like last year we had massive inside 50 tackle numbers, 15 to there 5, and got virtually no reward for it, numerous times they were caught cold or just dropped the ball and nada, holding the ball rule is beyond a joke and needs refining as it does my head in.

How do you find out who umpired our game last year against West Coast? We were absolutely crucified by an umpire in particular that night, if that was Williamson he should legitimately be barred from officiating our games...

Was one of our best players tonight ...some people are never happy
Murphy was was very good I thought, I should have mentioned him before. He was in our top 3 for the night (in my opinion). I really like him in the forward line, he has great vision and skills, it’s a pity he is near the end whilst we finally create a proper list.

How do you find out who umpired our game last year against West Coast? We were absolutely crucified by an umpire in particular that night, if that was Williamson he should legitimately be barred from officiating our games...

He did umpire us that game. Along with Jeff Dalgleish and David Harris. Bewildered by some of the calls he made tonight

I was worried about Weiters when he stayed down, but once the trainer's came out he jogged off - normally when it's serious, they hop off.

Weitering always stays down when he gets hurt

The highlight of the night for mine was Callum Moore almost in a one on one marking contest deep in our forward line in the last qtr when we were making our charge instead of pushing off his opponent and taking an overhead mark choose to turn his back on the ball and pretty much have the ball hit him in the back of the head (Right in front of me!) Saints rebounded.
My mate and I just laughed and said "That's our Callum!!:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:"

But seriously.......

Considering our outs and the fact that it felt like at some stages we were 8 goals down but in reality only 4 goals down.
We did sorta okay.
They won a final last year as well lets not forget.
We cannot keep playing catch up footy all season again.

Not sure what Teague was doing for the centre clearances tonight ... maybe he didn’t want to give too much away but geez we got massacred there ... can’t happen in the regular season

Yep, bit of a concern and he acknowledged this issue.

I guess we gave to wait until rd 1 to see what's going on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watching the replay now. Just to add what others are saying, we are a shocking kicking side. No finesse at all. Not that much to like so far in the first half other than Liam Jones. A true warrior.

still give up bad turnovers with shallow fwd 50 entries that rebound for shot at goal.often kicker under no pressure . We have a few natural shankers and hackers . Once there weeded out we be ok .
LOB impressed me with his smooth kicking / in time hopefully players like he stocker and carrol improve enough to push the bad kickers out until then we be 7-14 side ..

I find the analysis of practice matches all a bit too serious at times, I don't take much out of it, win or lose. These matches really aren't much of an indicator of anything to do with the real stuff.

I recall us winning pre-season premierships before going on to win the wooden spoon. The best was of course the late 70s, early 80s where we'd lose all our practice matches and go on to win premierships.

These games are good for blowing out the cobwebs.I like to see how our newer players or those returning from injury look in these games, that's about it.

I'm looking forward to the season proper.

Last edited:
This was a reality check. Thinking that injecting McGovern, Betts and any other half fit person will not change that fact.

The stoppages were atrocious. Pitto hit more times than not to the advantage of the Saints. Does he actually have ruckman smarts? Really unsure, it will probably be mortared over by his goals in the first half however, his ruck craft needs attention stat OR the midfield must compensate. THIS IS A COACHING THING!

Midfielders were ... lost, disjointed, there were solid passages of play from the saints (on KAYO) where not a blue was in sight when they were moving it. This is how we get scored against heavily. The run ons .....

Team was a little rusty, but geez, next game is for 4 points against the reigning premier. We need to pull a rabbit out of the hat. And quickly.

How are the premiers performing?

I find the analysis of practice matches all a bit too serious at times, I don't take much out of it, win or lose. These matches really aren't much of an indicator of anything to do with the real stuff.

I recall us winning pre-season premierships before going on to win the wooden spoon. The best was of course the late 70s, early 80s where we'd lose all our practice matches and go on to win premierships.

These games are good for blowing out the cobwebs.I like to see how our newer players or those returning from injury look in these games, that's about it.

I'm looking forward to the season proper.

Finally some common sense. I remember going to a scratch match against the saints, I believe in 2018. Played them at Princes Park. We smashed them. We won 2 games that year. These games mean nothing. We also played with basically a makeshift forward line. I'm confident we will be fine come season proper. Every year I hear the same thing from our fans during the pre season. We win games and everyone starts getting excited. We lose and it's the same old crap. Lets just wait until round 1 starts for some proper analysis.

We lost our one remaining KPF (with the other three already out injured) early and our BnF FB and still got to within a goal in the last quarter, despite some pretty ordinary umpiring going against a couple of times (they had three frees and a goal before we touched the ball), and Cripps being well held (Steele has his number).

We had more skill errors than them. Docherty, Jones and Saad in the backline alone. Preseason so to be expected. Probably cost us in the end. A few directly cost us goals. They were generally hitting targets.

Game plan wise, we knew the Saints were going to try and roll us through the guts, and that's what they did. Just like last week with Essendon, they looked a million bucks when doing it. Repeatedly did it, it repeatedly worked, and they repeatedly caught our defenders out of position, and took a lot more marks in F50 than us.

That needs to be looked at asap. In the third we managed to lock the ball inside F50 for repeat entries and stop them getting it out, leading to 21 I50's to 10 or so which was good to see, but fast play through the middle is our Achilles heel.

Jones, JSOS, Fisher, Dow, Pittonet all caught the eye. Martin was fumbly. None of the train ons impressed.

We had some good passages of play at times, and then some shocking skill errors in others.

I am certainly not as invested as many on here and don’t watch that much footy but....

I liked what I saw last night. I get the feeling we have built some depth in the squad and could be quite hard to play against this season. Round 1 against the Tigers will be fascinating. The yardstick of the competition straight up. What better way to gauge how far we have come?

Go Blues!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back