Game Day Carlton v St Kilda Practice Match Gameday Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

It has to be a coaching direction and game plan Wickzki. There's no other explanation to be honest as there's no way that the entire coaching staff and playing group would have missed this so you have to assume it's 'approved'.

forward press and lock it in ...

Imagine paying Martin close to a million to be fighting out a spot with O'Brien and Cunningham.

Don't think he is that bad (or bad at all) but needs to stop going missing like he has his whole career

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

600k contract 1m+ was front loaded.

Another solid hitout for us before round 1. A few take aways coming out of the game:
- A much better tune up than last week. Saints look like a top 6 team and Essendon are quite frankly looking horrible. We’ll get much more out of this game as a group.
- Really liked the games of JSOS and Fisher up forward. Fisher was already a round 1 lock and I think JSOS should have cemented his place. Would play him over Gov as the third tall at this stage. Gives us the opportunity to actually play Gov for a full practice match rather than just rolling him out in round 1 with no lead in games.
- We need H and Levi fit. JSOS was fantastic and McDonald really had a crack but ultimately we’ll be much better off with the two big focal points to straighten us up. Would play Levi round 1, although obviously not ideal lead in. His size, ability to contest in the air and ability to back up in the ruck are too valuable. Takes some pressure off JSOS too.
- McDonald really staked his claim for the final list spot. He’s seemingly got the versatility to play back and forward. Wouldn’t expect him to hit the scoreboard going forward but he’s shown he can back up in a couple of roles in case of an emergency.
- Thought Dow was creative and also has likely cemented his round 1 spot.
- Looks like one of Newnes, Fogarty or Cunningham will miss out. Suspect Newnes plays if fit and then it will be a toss up between the other two. Fogarty seems preferred given he played the full game but Cunners looked a bit better in his limited game time. Tough call between the two.
- Really liked Williams game and hope he gets off with only a fine. Will be a massive asset if he can keep hitting the scoreboard. Tackles hard too.
- Setterfield looks good in a different role to last year as a winger floating through half back. Not sure I liked the move on paper but it’s worked well in practice first two games.
- Thought we actually looked quick on Marvel which I haven’t seen in years. We’ve also been better at the G over the past 10 years but I reckon the gap will narrow this year based on the speed we now have.

I was sure of the 8
Now I'm wobbly and a bit flat about us. I noticed an excited sort of joy about the saints boys in that 1st q. And an absence of it in our boys .
They seemed a better team to me. They just did. Why are our guys still 3 fighting for same ball and not talking to each other?
But
I know we have plenty out and weren't playing with a settled team.
Some things from SPS, Martin and Williams blew my mind.
Trying hard to warm to Saad..I think when he looks happy and cracks a smile I will. His goal from 50 out was wonderful
Oscar ...yeah!! Setters and Fish..yeah!!
Camon blues. 💙
Ratts does that. He's great as a man manager, and is a ripper midfield coach.

But that buzz has never lasted all year, and they genuinely let us right back in last night. The way Ratts coaches, his teams get a margin ahead then coast for a bit. They play in surges. During those lapses you can punish them badly if you can score heavily, get yourself a bit of a lead, then hold tight. They have a hard counter to Cripps in Steele. They play a fleet of small forwards, and have borrowed from Richmond's forward game with Higgins and Butler. Hill got off the chain, because it's preseason and teams don't sit opposition players in preseason; better for the legs to let them get the ball and run you off your feet chasing them. And they spent all season last year showing that they do not know how to use Hill consistently.

They should be a better team than we are. We're still in the consolidation thing, the bit where we're taking that step from 15-8 to where they are, 8-4th. We've tried s**t this preseason, and that includes playing without KPF's. If we're kind of rubbish this year, I'd do what Clarko did with later years Roughy when he came back from cancer, and play Jack one out up forward, force him to be the dominant presence ahead of the ball, but we won't be rubbish this year.

These games haven't been played at AFL pressure levels yet. If we play like this during the season there's trouble, but we'll see.

600k contract 1m+ was front loaded.

Yeah i know but making a point to that guys comment as he has martin fighting it out with cuningham and obrien for a spot in the 22 (which i dont agree with). But its a lot of money to splash on a guy who goes missing for qtrs/halves and whole games quite often (and has his whole career)

Based on the 2 hitouts, taking into account previous form and current fitness

FB: Plowman Jones Saad
HB: Docherty Weitering Williamson
C: Walsh E.Curnow Williams
HF: Murphy Casboult Martin
FF: JSOS McKay Fisher

R: Pittonet Cripps Setterfield

Int: SPS, Dow, Gibbons, Newnes

Unlucky E: LOB, Cuners, Fogarty, ????
I'd like to see Cunners and LOB in for Newnes and SPS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you take away the 2 goals in the first 2 minutes and the ones with a minute left in the first and second quarters take into account the couple of shocking umpiring decisions and no Harry , Levi and Gov and the fact St Kilda will be a top 4 team this year and it's all pretty positive , yeah a few things to be worked on but a few supporters saying we will be in the bottom four and microwaving memberships is ridiculous . We will be back in the finals no problem . Go Blues .

If you take away the 2 goals in the first 2 minutes and the ones with a minute left in the first and second quarters take into account the couple of shocking umpiring decisions and no Harry , Levi and Gov and the fact St Kilda will be a top 4 team this year and it's all pretty positive , yeah a few things to be worked on but a few supporters saying we will be in the bottom four and microwaving memberships is ridiculous . We will be back in the finals no problem . Go Blues .

Its going to be tough to get into the 8 - my locks for the 8 are:
Tigers
Cats
Lions
Eagles
Power
Saints

Thats 6 which leaves 2 spots and Carlton, Doggies, GWS, Demons fighting it out for the last 2. Id back the doggies as the best of that lot and last spot is a toss up.

That shove Jo gave SOS was priceless.
That clip even made it on to the fox footy mini match.

Along with the cry of "give us something SOS!" from the commentary box.

Now that I think about it, that time could have been better used on actual football in an 18 minute highlights package.

That shove Jo gave SOS was priceless.
It was a pretty funny moment. Classic Dad being unimpressed with his son after doing something good with Mum telling him to lighten up.

Funny to see it at AFL level as most parents when watching there kids look like kids in a lolly store every time the boy does anything half good. Guess when your Dad is in the team of the century he's even harder to impress!

It was a pretty funny moment. Classic Dad being unimpressed with his son after doing something good with Mum telling him to lighten up.

Funny to see it at AFL level as most parents when watching there kids look like kids in a lolly store every time the boy does anything half good. Guess when your Dad is in the team of the century he's even harder to impress!

“Meh, I once kicked 10 goals in a game and kicked 200 goals in my “Full Back of the Century” career”. Poor Jack can’t win.

That clip even made it on to the fox footy mini match.

Along with the cry of "give us something SOS!" from the commentary box.

Now that I think about it, that time could have been better used on actual football in an 18 minute highlights package.

there's an article on news.com.au about it (i didnt read it)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back