Game Day Carlton v St Kilda Practice Match Gameday Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree they have an ageing list who's the leagues oldest and have hit the free agent, trade market and haven't drafted much kids besides a few. They'll drop off sooner than later

Not convinced either way, as to how far they will go.

The likes of Billings, Gresham are now more consistent, Clark, Coffield, Paton, Battle, King types are very talented. Picking up Howard was a smart move, but their spine moving forward needs addressing

Just like ours I guess

Thanks
Nice little tool
I think careless can be argued as it was in play.
You are right will swing on question of timing.

His feet left the ground prior to impact which signals intent, highly doubt it will be graded careless.

I was there last night, yeah, some of umpiring was really sh*t and not surprised at the booing. Like SOS, I watched but rarely got excited because I know it is a practice match. I did get excited at some bits of play by Williamson, Fisher etc. but at end of the day, it is just a practice match. I more frown upon the people getting excited at Kyle Mingoue songs by ground mic guy. Cringeworthy stuff. The Locomotion, give me a ******* break, ha ha
Whereas the Grand Funk Railway version - that's another story.

Carroll seems to just keep doing everything right, not getting a lot of attention but seems to keep keeping his name in the mix.

kid can play. Was a big rap for him prior to draft night. That and he is a wa boy ;)

Probably a much better view of where we are at this week, Saints look pretty good and they exposed us in a few areas. Their forward entries were better than ours. We work a lot harder for our goals relying on contested marks and ground level play whereas they got more from hitting up leads. Our kicking is a problem, we are carrying too many who have to "kick within their limits" and that's why we have to work so much harder than the more skilled teams but it's not all ordinary kicking, our forward line is stagnant and flat footed, very few quality leads. Our kick it long inside 50 to a contest as soon as we are in range style of play is just poor footy. I thought the rest of our game was pretty good though but gee we need a polish up.

Guys like Walsh, Curnow, Setterfield and Newnes they try to lower the eyes and hit leading or difficult targets and they turn the ball over so they kick long to contests and that just creats s**t footy. It's a real problem for us that we carry too many of these types of ball users and St Kilda exposed this. On the other hand I felt they used the ball a lot better than we did.

Saints look a level above us, doesn't mean we look bad, there's a lot of good about us but we have some improvement to make. We can do some exciting things but how we play when we're going forward needs a lot of work and most of that is better leading and better kicking so we aren't seeing the ball go back down the other end and so we're kicking a few more easier goals.

Silvagni - He was really good, when he's marking over head he's having a good day. He's great in the ground level contests and he knows how to lead.

Dow - Another play I liked, he's chasing and making tackles now which is what I have been waiting to see. He's not afraid of body contact and he's great with his hands. He's got to be in the team. His kicking has looked ok.

Murphy - He's up and down but he played ok. He's in Gibbon's role at the moment.

O'Brien - Came on late, looked ok, hit a nice kick to a lead which we need more of.

SPS - I really liked his game, his ball use was good and he wasn't shy of the physical stuff like he has been at times, if he keeps that up then he's going to go places.

Williams - He was excellent. Good combination of skills, body strength and speed. He's just what we need.

Fogarty - Thought he was ok, doesn't get it a lot but he uses it pretty well.

Cripps - Didn't play that well but I am sure he will get into the game.

McKay - Was struggling and then became injured. Wasn't a good night for him.

Jones - Had a big day in a forward line with plenty of talls playing well. He's looking pretty good.

Docherty - Was ok but his kicking was very second rate.

Walsh - He's playing well but his kicking really lets him down. It's not his strength and he really needs to get better in this area, had a poor game by foot.

Plowman - Struggled a bit at times but was ok. Struggles on the real big players and got done for pace at times on some quicker ones. The new rules, if they open the game up won't suite him.

Martin - Had a stinker but his last quarter was good when moved back. My biggest criticism of him is he doesn't back it up. Plays really well one week and the next week can't get out of first gear. Does he need to work harder on his recovery? I'm not sure.

Weitering - Had a big job and was going ok until injury.

Fisher - I thought he was great, he's much better with the contact part of the game and he just did so many good things however not having a right foot cost him a shot on goal.

Pittonet - he was really good, he's certainly in great form.

Cuningham - Came on late and did ok. Can't take much from his game.

Williamson - Had his hands full defending and he played a decent game.

Newnes - Didn't notice too much of him to be honest.

Curnow - Really did nothing that excited me, would have rather we gave that spot to Stocker.

Saad - He was excellent, at times he made mistakes but he's a high risk player and that's what you'll get.

Setterfield - had just an average game this week, nothing too exciting.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably a much better view of where we are at this week, Saints look pretty good and they exposed us in a few areas. Their forward entries were better than ours. We work a lot harder for our goals relying on contested marks and ground level play whereas they got more from hitting up leads. Our kicking is a problem, we are carrying too many who have to "kick within their limits" and that's why we have to work so much harder than the more skilled teams but it's not all ordinary kicking, our forward line is stagnant and flat footed, very few quality leads. Our kick it long inside 50 to a contest as soon as we are in range style of play is just poor footy. I thought the rest of our game was pretty good though but gee we need a polish up.

Guys like Walsh, Curnow, Setterfield and Newnes they try to lower the eyes and hit leading or difficult targets and they turn the ball over so they kick long to contests and that just creats s**t footy. It's a real problem for us that we carry too many of these types of ball users and St Kilda exposed this. On the other hand I felt they used the ball a lot better than we did.

Saints look a level above us, doesn't mean we look bad, there's a lot of good about us but we have some improvement to make.

Silvagni - He was really good, when he's marking over head he's having a good day. He's great in the ground level contests and he knows how to lead.

Dow - Another play I liked, he's chasing and making tackles now which is what I have been waiting to see. He's not afraid of body contact and he's great with his hands. He's got to be in the team. His kicking has looked ok.

Murphy - He's up and down but he played ok. He's in Gibbon's role at the moment.

O'Brien - Came on late, looked ok, hit a nice kick to a lead which we need more of.

SPS - I really liked his game, his ball use was good and he wasn't shy of the physical stuff like he has been at times, if he keeps that up then he's going to go places.

Williams - He was excellent. Good combination of skills, body strength and speed. He's just what we need.

Fogarty - Thought he was ok, doesn't get it a lot but he uses it pretty well.

Cripps - Didn't play that well but I am sure he will get into the game.

McKay - Was struggling and then became injured. Wasn't a good night for him.

Jones - Had a big day in a forward line with plenty of talls playing well. He's looking pretty good.

Docherty - Was ok but his kicking was very second rate.

Walsh - He's playing well but his kicking really lets him down. It's not his strength and he really needs to get better in this area, had a poor game by foot.

Plowman - Struggled a bit at times but was ok. Struggles on the real big players and got done for pace at times on some quicker ones. The new rules, if they open the game up won't suite him.

Martin - Had a stinker but his last quarter was good when moved back. My biggest criticism of him is he doesn't back it up. Plays really well one week and the next week can't get out of first gear. Does he need to work harder on his recovery? I'm not sure.

Weitering - Had a big job and was going ok until injury.

Fisher - I thought he was great, he's much better with the contact part of the game and he just did so many good things however not having a right foot cost him a shot on goal.

Pittonet - he was really good, he's certainly in great form.

Cuningham - Came on late and did ok. Can't take much from his game.

Williamson - Had his hands full defending and he played a decent game.

Newnes - Didn't notice too much of him to be honest.

Curnow - Really did nothing that excited me, would have rather we gave that spot to Stocker.

Saad - He was excellent, at times he made mistakes but he's a high risk player and that's what you'll get.

Setterfield - had just an average game this week, nothing too exciting.
Great write up batman! on point

I'm hoping we just used last night predominantly for what it was, a practice match, shake off some cobwebs and try some things. My main hope is since Saints and Richmond both possess such a swarm of small forwards we decided not to give Richmond too much of an insight of how we'll tackle them so tried out some b and c scenarios predominantly.

Cripps has a kryptnonite in Steele and hopefully when we play them again for real he figures it out. And F-me but how does Membrey turns into superman against us always???

I'd rather at present do the 'Grigg' in the centre bounce tactic and use Pitto around the ground.. he's a terrible centre ruckman and there is no cohesion between him and our mids.

We were rusty, shaky and playing safe for a fair chunk of the game. We continue to show in bursts we can put our foot down and get serious and I hope this is something we are capable of maintaining for a whole game!

And again with those slow starts!

It's a shame there aren't any more practice matches. Stocker is a hard at his onballer who is supposed to be a good kick and this is a side that's midfield lacks damaging kicks, surely he's a player that needs to be looked at. I wouldn't be playing someone like Curnow ahead of Stocker if what we saw in this match is what we're going to get from him this season. We need to be better by foot, a lot better.

As for our forwards, we keep playing Cuningham and he's ok but it's Owies who consistently kicks goals at reserves level. I can see that he may be a bit more raw however that doesn't mean we have got this one right.

Scoreboard flattered us... Yes a praccy but we were creamed. For mine Pitt, fish, setters, Jones, Williams ok...everyone else pretty ordinary. Hopefully the Dow hysteria after a C grade bombers game dies down...he is a long way off under real heat as I said last week. Poor team defence and poor skills for mine
Interesting u say that, what I saw was him breaking the line some great handballs to open scoring opportunities & he laid a few solid tackles. He was directly responsible for 3 or 4 shots on goal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back