Game Day Carlton v St Kilda Practice Match Gameday Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Overall a little disappointed with the result. Clearly missing the talls up forward.
Harry looked like he was going through the motions when he was out there. Would be nice if Howard actually went for the ball rather than just tunnelling.

Weiters won't play as bad as that first quarter again giving up 3 goals. Had a shocker

Some of the kicking was terrible. Will need to stop just giving the ball back to the opposition especially coming out of the backline.

If we select McDonald it can only be as KPD depth as he is a liability with the ball in hand. Cannot be allowed to kick it.

We seem to take the wings and let our opponents have the centre of the ground. Lose possession on the wings then it comes back quickly through the middle. The problem is magnified on the undersized Marvel stadium.

I had a bad feeling Hill was going to carve us up when I saw Setterfield go to him. In a game for points we need to play a better runner on him shutting down his space and make him pay a price for his kicks.

Was disappointed by Willo and Martin's output. Need more from them.
"I had a bad feeling Hill was going to carve us up when I saw Setterfield go to him." This is why we should get too concerned about the result, in the season proper we would have sent Ed to Hill. Pre-season is all about offence for the midfield.

Practice that shows you're still short of the better sides is still valuable practice.

Saints will be in the same pot we are hopefully aiming for. Someone today or yesterday in media rated them top 4 .... LOL!

Sounds like Stocker did OK in the Ressies -

"Liam Stocker had an impact around congestion and in front of goal. "

"while Stocker played a strong contested game in the clinches "

What I see us lacking badly is those players who can hit leading and difficult targets consistently and forwards who will put on good leads. So good kicks who aren't in the side such as Stocker and O'Brien need to be taken more seriously. Also shows that an in form McGovern and Curnow would be exceptionally valuable for us.

Saints did a great job opening up their forward line for their leading targets and hitting them up. We move the ball well until we get past center then it gets into the hands of players who tend to kick within their limits and it goes long or we lower our eyes and turn it over. It really is our main problem. I like our backline, our midfield wins enough contested ball and has started to add some nice pace and run there, it's just the finishing and the quality of the targets that's missing from what I can see from this game.

Something to work on and something to really look for in the seconds. Our recruiting really needs to take a hard focus on good kicks and pace whether that be mature aged or draftees.

Would like to see us trying to isolate one or two of our marking targets deep in the forward line more and work on getting the ball to half forward rather than just bypassing that area of the ground with long bombs inside 50.

Sounds like Stocker did OK in the Ressies -

"Liam Stocker had an impact around congestion and in front of goal. "

"while Stocker played a strong contested game in the clinches "
And Carroll.

We are a MCG team not a marvel stadium team. Saints like playing there because they are a Mickey Mouse club and it suits their game style. Had it been at the MCG yesterday with a healthy side l would expect a way different result

Watched the game live, and now on tv.
Saints looked a bit slicker and sharper all night. I liked the way we fought it out though. We ran the game out really well.
My obs:

Williams- tough, hard runner
Saad- looked a bit rusty, will get better
Fogarty - promising
Cripps- rusty
Doc- competitor, iffy disposal
Ed- rusty
Walsh- jet
Murphy- classy, we’ve found his spot
Fish- creative, we’ve found his spot
Jones- our best
Setterfiield- next best
Plow- rarely beaten
Dow- much better
JOSOS- competes, gives 100%
Martin- meh

Guys that are 23rd to 30th on your list being good enough to get games and many clubs is what a top side has. We need this sort of depth

Yeah just looking at it from his point of view. He would assumedly want to be playing senior footy but will struggle to get a lot of games with us. Obviously if he's happy to stay as is then that would be great.

Think many are forgetting that the Saints are 2 years ahead of us on rebuilding a list

18 months or so ago, many were questioning their underperforming youth

It's been moreso the guys they've traded in rather than youth that is propelling them - Steele, Howard, Hill are probably their best three players. They've also added Butler, Higgins, Ryder etc.

It goes to show the impact targeted trades can have, even if they did partly have to recruit by default to churn over that haphazard list of 2018-2019.

The demographics will shift for us in time, but you're correct, we're at least one year behind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree they have an ageing list who's the leagues oldest and have hit the free agent, trade market and haven't drafted much kids besides a few. They'll drop off sooner than later

King, Coffield, Higgins and Clark are still 'kids.' Gresham is 23. Howard and Wilkie are both 24, Marshall and Billing are 25. Hill is only 27.

They've been slowly accumulating their list for years and are now playing for the here and now, and so they should. They're maybe one year away from a Grand Final, and with their list profile should contend for a decent period of time.

Their older players (Hannebery, Geary) wouldn't be in their best 10 on the field.

King, Coffield, Higgins and Clark are still 'kids.' Gresham is 23. Howard and Wilkie are both 24, Marshall and Billing are 25. Hill is only 27.

They've been slowly accumulating their list for years and are now playing for the here and now, and so they should. They're maybe one year away from a Grand Final, and with their list profile should contend for a decent period of time.

Their older players (Hannebery, Geary) wouldn't be in their best 10 on the field.
yep they will likely play finals- and we arent too far behind based on last nights comps - give us a forward line and maybe the behind them bit gets switched

Thought JSOS was fantastic last night, and really like the role he is playing even if it's come about by accident.

Pressure was great, and the confidence in his marking has returned. There is absolutely a place for mid-sized forwards who lack a bit of athleticism but kick straight and get themselves into good positions to receive. Think Tory Dickson, Sam Lloyd, Jacob Townsend* - JSOS arguably has more scope for improvement.

(*Brad Pearce too maybe?)

Last edited:
yep they will likely play finals- and we arent too far behind based on last nights comps - give us a forward line and maybe the behind them bit gets switched

I think they went into tempo mode, relaxed a fair bit, and could have really pushed the margin if they wanted to but we were competitive. They've also had the wood over us for years and have a mental edge and the best counterpart for Cripps in the league.

Plus Ratts is a legitimately great coach who knows how to control a game of footy.

Almost feel a twinge of jealousy at times watching him up in the coaches box.

Williams absolutely deserves a week. What a dumb move

He did cross the line - but barely. I’m glad we finally have players willing to touch the line and show aggression and make the opponent know they are there and coming for them.

In the end it was executed slightly wrong but I would rather that than no pressure at all that became the hallmark of our club in recent years.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Think many are forgetting that the Saints are 2 years ahead of us on rebuilding a list

18 months or so ago, many were questioning their underperforming youth

And some of those youth still haven’t stepped up - but the Saints have had two (at least) blockbuster years of trades in which they became the preferred destination club for many of those players they targeted and most of their trades have panned out. Even though they have overpaid tor Hannebery and Hill they are way ahead on many other trades. They’ve rolled the dice and it’s working so far and I think they could end up top 4.

If we can get into the top 8 there will be many free agents and the like seriously looking at us and we could bring in another 3 best 22 players which would be huge.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah just looking at it from his point of view. He would assumedly want to be playing senior footy but will struggle to get a lot of games with us. Obviously if he's happy to stay as is then that would be great.
Lots of fringe players knocked us back to stay at top club's over the years. Winning breeds togetherness in the group and players will stay for less money and even for the chance to play 8-10 games at a top side, because if you put your best foot forward at the right time some of those games could be when they matter most. Look at Townsend at Richmond

I think they went into tempo mode, relaxed a fair bit, and could have really pushed the margin if they wanted to but we were competitive. They've also had the wood over us for years and have a mental edge and the best counterpart for Cripps in the league.

Plus Ratts is a legitimately great coach who knows how to control a game of footy.

Almost feel a twinge of jealousy at times watching him up in the coaches box.

Here is my take on the game :

The Aints couldnt stop 90+ points from a side that had Oscar McDonald playing as a ruck and CHF with Callum Moore as a ruck forward and main target a bloke that turns his head away from the incoming football in front of goals - neither on our list - and no they didnt take their foot off the pedal - if anything we did with 5 minutes to go gifting them 3 goals on top of the 3-4 that the maggotts dished out to them ...

the better truth is that Teague had his foot off the pedal from the start and just wanted blokes to get hard running time into their legs.

Here is my take on the game :

The Aints couldnt stop 90+ points from a side that had Oscar McDonald playing as a ruck and CHF with Callum Moore as a ruck forward and main target a bloke that turns his head away from the incoming football in front of goals - neither on our list - and no they didnt take their foot off the pedal - if anything we did with 5 minutes to go gifting them 3 goals on top of the 3-4 that the maggotts dished out to them ...

the better truth is that Teague had his foot off the pedal from the start and just wanted blokes to get hard running time into their legs.
We regularly kicked deep to a one on one in our forward line but it was Cripps or Moore and the Saints rebounded, replace them with McKay or Casboult (or a fully fit Charlie) and we are taking those marks 80% of the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back