Game Day Carlton v St Kilda Practice Match Gameday Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

So no one should ever question a coach, a player, a board member, a anything because we have no idea of any of their capabilities right? If I cared enough there is enough evidence out there to suggest Barker isn't doing anything outstanding, why you choose to blindly defend the guy is beyond me.

Question whoever you like, but based on what? A hunch

Show me the evidence, all we have here are stats, none of us are in the inner sanctum, unless you are privy to information

I don't blindly follow anyone and have already stated I couldn't pass judgment one way or another on Barker or any assistant

You or anyone else here would have no idea of Barker's capabilities. It's a lazy opinion based on nothing more than the length of his tenure at the club

But let's reassess again once we make finals
But we could make finals despite him...
(Just saying...) :joycat: :p

SB, suggest you think through how footy will be played this year. Less rotations. More ball movement. Longer quarters. Towards ends of games and as the season wears on it will strongly favour the endurance athlete. Add that to the fact Ed is coming off consecutive high performances in the B+F.
You’ll be glad he’s in the side many times this year.

Agree and disagree. As far as quarters are concerned, it will be back to normal, so no change to normal and will favour the fitter players, however smaller rotations will also favour players that can play multiple positions. Ed cannot play any other position other then tag.
More and ‘quicker’ ball movement is the other key. Ed cannot move the ball on quickly and struggles in a chain of events. Disposal very questionable. Like Ed but one dimensional players will be a teams liability. Let’s see.

Do we try McGovern as a defender once Curnow comes back to see if we can add even more pace to our backline? They are happening less but out the back goals will hurt us still a bit this year and I reckon having a go with gov at back, especially with sos doing well, would be a good pathway to try
We don't have to do anything with him...let him get fully fit, give him an extended block at VFL level, let him beat the door down if he is to get a gig.

When was the last time we had a guy playing genuinely good footy and unable to crack the first 22?

I'd like to see Samo given an extended crack at centre bounces. The move to half back just doesn't suit him as he's not fast enough.

As mentioned previously Fish is our best winger and best mid with ball in hand. Criminal waste playing him forward.

Cunningham back flank. Been saying it for ages - he's a perfect fit. Fast enough to do real damage to the opposition from there (and he'll see a lot more of the ball).

O'Brien's cameos have been good enough to warrant being given an extended crack in the 1s at some stage.

I really don't think Teague has got his positional shifts right at all.. he seems determined to stick with them though.
I don’t mind Samo as a hbf when he plays higher up the ground. I’d love to see him in a mid/hhf rotation, but that might have to wait until there’s some more players available down back. Marchbank and Newman probably the two there, especially with Willo looking more comfortable on a wing than down back.

I don’t think Fisher is being wasted in the forward line. I also don’t think he’a got the running ability to play wing. He’s zippy, has a step (or 3), but he’s not actually that fast over longer distances and he’s never been in the top running groups at the club. I’m not sure he’s a bonafide small forward, but I’ve always liked him as a flanker, he can get up towards the wing/stoppage at times and also work back into goals, being a threat and making some things happen.

Cuningham has already been tried down back. It didn’t work. I think he’s an instinctive player and struggled with the discipline around positioning, knowing when to go and when to hold and cover a man/space. Mid/fwd and let him follow someone to the pill or just ‘see ball, get ball’ and play fast in the moment.

I’d lost a bit of faith in O’Brien but liked what I saw last game. He clearly wasn’t right last year, looked heavy and couldn’t move, certainly wasn’t 100% in that last game of his. Appears to have his running back, has a fantastic kick (that one down the line to DC was great) and even found himself inside a few contests with his head down trying to rip the ball out. Hopefully he can force his way into the side at some stage, he’s got weapons and is a bit of a point of difference for us if he can put it all together.

One thing I’d really like to see is Walsh and Setters go back a bit more to like last year, or at least split inside and outside time 50:50. Play Dow predominantly inside with some small rest forward and those two can interchange between wing and inside.

I also don’t really want Cripps playing as a forward, I want him drifting forward from the midfield to create the defensive mismatches, not start there and get the 2nd tall defender all over him. It’d be a little different if we’ve got a couple of McKay/Levi/Charlie/TDK/Pitto/Gov/Jack up forward at the time rather than most of last game with Jack/Oscar/Callum, but making the opp def have to potentially change structure on the fly as Cripps enters the 50 is harder than having him regularly start in the square.

Show me the evidence, all we have here are stats, none of us are in the inner sanctum, unless you are privy to information

I don't blindly follow anyone and have already stated I couldn't pass judgment one way or another on Barker or any assistant
He took St Kilda's forward line from 2nd for scores to around 13th in 1 year, enough info for me to say I never wanted him to have anything to do with our club.

I agree we are all outsiders. So all we have is a track record based on team performance which is a moving feast.

I'd be interested to hear your take on Barker's article - I've put mine forward regarding what it says about his organisational type.

I know stats aren't everything, but I thought JSOS looked really good up forward particularly as the game went on.

He racked up 17 touches at almost 80% efficiency, 6 marks, 4 tackles, 12 pressure acts, 7 contested possessions, 2 contested marks, almost 250m gained, 8 score involvements, and a bag of 3 goals too.

I would love to see JSOS as our 3rd tall up front, rotating into the guts to let Cripps rest forward.
When I watch Jack play, there’s always one thing I see that makes him top 3 players each time in the desperation category.
He tries his damn hardest to pressure and most times he succeeds. We need more of that I feel, like the tigers players do.

We don't have to do anything with him...let him get fully fit, give him an extended block at VFL level, let him beat the door down if he is to get a gig.

When was the last time we had a guy playing genuinely good footy and unable to crack the first 22?
McGovern is a major under achiever. He could be anything but he is not.

McGovern is a major under achiever. He could be anything but he is not.
I think things can turn around very quickly. I haven’t lost faith in the governor at all.

If we had better delivery to him, he’d look like a completely different player.

how many good players look awesome in good teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought he actually looked really good. 14 touches at over 70% disposal efficiency, 7 tackles, 17 pressure acts and 6 score involvements to go along with it.

I didn't pay much attention to him during the * game, but I wouldn't be surprised if we'd pick Fog over Cunners and Betts for rd 1.
I think Fogarty had just 2 touches in the first half and 12 in the second.

His work rate seems really good and when he gets involved good things seem to happen.

Be surprised if he doesn't play round 1

Oh give me a spell.
That’s barely even a free - if that even gets cited by the MRO then Williams will get a month off.

carlton bashing is back again people... we must be coming good if the media is pushing this narrative as well....fmd .... anyways let’s roll with it... we need to beat the umps and AFL house on the way up we all know this

Agree and disagree. As far as quarters are concerned, it will be back to normal, so no change to normal and will favour the fitter players, however smaller rotations will also favour players that can play multiple positions. Ed cannot play any other position other then tag.
More and ‘quicker’ ball movement is the other key. Ed cannot move the ball on quickly and struggles in a chain of events. Disposal very questionable. Like Ed but one dimensional players will be a teams liability. Let’s see.
Unfortunately, I agree.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back