Game Day Carlton v St Kilda Practice Match Thurs 24th Feb 10.00am @ Princes Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't watch. Sounds like a few things to like missing 2 of our best 3 players.

Even knowing there's footy on makes me want to go to the pub. Damn work.

Did anyone keep track of the CBA’s. From memory it was just Cripps, Hewitt and Cerra?
Add Walsh into that mix and a cameo from a Martin/Williams/Fisher every now and then 🤤.
Also thought JSOS was outstanding, just impacts so many contests at 100%. I’m expecting a huge year from him.
Kennedy had a few

Walsh, Harry, Martin, Plowman, TDK, Stocker, Curnow are probably all best 22 if fit. I'd have Dow over Kennedy personally but know that is an unpopular opinion. We had 26 players that actually got game time today (27 - Dow). So essentially 10-11 have to come out of today's team.

Adding the likes of Cerra and Hewett certainly helps, as does a more balanced gameplan. Still early, but promising signs with structure
Yeah we held our shape behind the ball a lot better other than the 2nd qtr, centre bounce and stoppage work was miles better with some nice chain handballs to players in space, Cripps back to being on the move instead of wrestling which is manna from heaven.

I thought Setters was very good when around the ball with clean hands and pushed back well in defence, looking more like 2020 Setters than last year.

Williams was very good and looks fit, provided lots of run along with Saad they both fed off our centre square dominance there kicking could have been better.

Composure forward of centre was woeful at times and the kicking long to a contest without Harry there was wasteful, should have had a much more dominant win except for poor kicking going in and on goal by some.

Biggest positive was definitely Cripps' general movement and clearance numbers.

Looked like his old self, and bulldozed his way through a couple of stoppages in characteristic fashion - you love to see it. Apart from stupidly trying to sell candy in the 2nd term, was much more decisive with his possessions OR would release after a couple of seconds once a few opposition players had converged on him, which left players in space.

Didn't overdo kicks, his nous in close was top shelf.

Looking forward to seeing him back dominating again.

I didn't watch the whole game, but I've seen enough:
1. Team defense and efforts around the ball has increased
2. It's great to have Captain Crippa back in form - a fit & firing Crippa makes a whole difference to our team
3. Past recruits have finally had a decent pre-season and showing some form Williams, Saad and Gov (he has to play in defence)
4. Recent recruit are great both Cerra & Hewett
5. McDonald is taking starting RD1
6. Owies & Williamson are nice surprises, and should be in RD1
7. Newman and Newnes shouldn't be in RD01
8. Fisher & Kemp are ready for a Break Out year
9. Best 22 for RD1 is taking shape

Last edited:
Did anyone keep track of the CBA’s. From memory it was just Cripps, Hewitt and Cerra?
Add Walsh into that mix and a cameo from a Martin/Williams/Fisher every now and then 🤤.
Also thought JSOS was outstanding, just impacts so many contests at 100%. I’m expecting a huge year from him.
1645671888002.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Biggest positive was definitely Cripps' general movement and clearance numbers.

Looked like his old self, and bulldozed his way through a couple of stoppages in characteristic fashion - you love to see it. Apart from stupidly trying to sell candy in the 2nd term, was much more decisive with his possessions OR would release after a couple of seconds once a few opposition players had converged on him, which left players in space.

Didn't overdo kicks, his nous in close was top shelf.

Looking forward to seeing him back dominating again.
I reckon he's going to really benefit from having more high quality running mates in the midfield.

What is a CBA?

Commonwealth-Bank-Logo-1991.jpg

Why the ordinary 2nd quarter? Does it appear to those who witnessed game believe that Voss has rectified the "run on of unanswered goals" of last year?
Can’t stop shooting ourselves in the foot. It’s got nothing to do with coaches. I really think it’s a player issue and they need to sort it out amongst themselves. Starts with the captain.

I think there are a number of options that could work. If Harry does more of the chop out ruckwork, that would eliviate needing a Young type playing the 2nd KPF

Owies/Durdin/Honey, Harry, Martin

Fisher, Young, Charlie (roaming)

Jsos as the 7th forward, who would rotate with Martin, Charlie when needing a rest and or when Young goes in the ruck

I think Kemp will be used in a number of roles, forward and wing

Not as a main priority, but having OMac and Young in the side also covers for in game injuries for the 2 KPD's Weitering and OMac/Young
Also gives us a tall to push up and take marks on the wing where we struggled in the air today, although with Harry back I expect Charlie to be pushing up a lot higher to alleviate this issue, Kemp on the wing would also fix the issue and give us a better target coming out of defence.

Yeah we held our shape behind the ball a lot better other than the 2nd qtr, centre bounce and stoppage work was miles better with some nice chain handballs to players in space, Cripps back to being on the move instead of wrestling which is manna from heaven.

I thought Setters was very good when around the ball with clean hands and pushed back well in defence, looking more like 2020 Setters than last year.

Williams was very good and looks fit, provided lots of run along with Saad they both fed off our centre square dominance there kicking could have been better.

Composure forward of centre was woeful at times and the kicking long to a contest without Harry there was wasteful, should have had a much more dominant win except for poor kicking going in and on goal by some.

Lets hope Setters can take some forward steps under the new coaches.

Some of young fringe players:
Thought Fisher was pretty good and so was LOB...he was getting to good spots and we were looking to feed the ball out to him from contests as often as we could...can see a clear role there.

Another youngster Durdin looked quite good as a nippy forward who pushes up the ground and Owies imo is a lock for best 22 with his pressure and tenacity.

Willo with his trademark dash and tackling played pretty well too.

Our best were probably Williams, Cripps, Cerra, Silvagni, Williamson.

Pitto good and influential when on. McGovern a decent game and definitely something to build on for his first full game in defence. Kemp some very good signs as a forward, he may well prove a dangerous third tall type at times this season.

Newman was awful, really don't know what he is meant to bring apart from the occasional neat kick.

Hard to take a lot out of it really. Agree that our midfield looked a lot better, and it was refreshing to finally see Cripps strip back his game and go back to basics.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back