Game Day Carlton v St Kilda Practice Match Thurs 24th Feb 10.00am @ Princes Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Our best were probably Williams, Cripps, Cerra, Silvagni, Williamson.

Pitto good and influential when on. McGovern a decent game and definitely something to build on for his first full game in defence. Kemp some very good signs as a forward, he may well prove a dangerous third tall type at times this season.

Newman was awful, really don't know what he is meant to bring apart from the occasional neat kick.

Hard to take a lot out of it really. Agree that our midfield looked a lot better, and it was refreshing to finally see Cripps strip back his game and go back to basics.
Would much prefer Plowman over Newman. We don't have anyone that can lockdown on the opposition small like Plow can.

At this stage I would play both Young and oMac, one at either end, teaming up with one of TDK/Pitto/Mirkov. I would rather see JSos do a stint on ball, than the relief ruckman.

And, I prefer Kemp on a wing, working forward for a missmatch, rather than LOB or Newnes

Kemp on one wing, with Walsh on the other?

Meaningless? We just tried a new structure in an as structured match as you can get before Round 1. That 120 just built team morale and cohesion more than a training session would over pre season. Some players looked pantsed out there esp mids as they probably have been instructed more than ever to run both ways. Not to mention it was a W against a strong outfit squad wise for the saints in full 30 min quarters (yes not at full vigorous intensities ik)

Not meaningless.

I'd be really curious to know how Voss and Hansen rate our mids two way running ability vs Port and Dogs mids...

I'd guess our players aren't as fit.

I know, right! Been a bit cool on him for some time now, I know he's got some attributes but I struggle to see where he fits. Suspect he'll be a VFL project for at least one more year, just needs to play full time mid down there and start dominating. Bring him in when he's riding high on form and confidence, and his body has matured properly.

Philp fumbles and panics alot...honestly looks way off it, especially for a relatively high draft pick.

Meaningless? We just tried a new structure in an as structured match as you can get before Round 1. That 120 just built team morale and cohesion more than a training session would over pre season. Some players looked pantsed out there esp mids as they probably have been instructed more than ever to run both ways. Not to mention it was a W against a strong outfit squad wise for the saints in full 30 min quarters (yes not at full vigorous intensities ik)

Not meaningless.
Meaningless result. The hitout wasn't meaningless.
Wouldn't have made much difference if the scores were switched.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This guy!

FMVRuVeUYAMwTbJ

#QueCerraCerra

The thing about winning a practice game is it means some stuff is working.
So we should be pleased.
But it is a pointless thing to overanalyse every aspect.
Would be pointless to analyse why we won or lost, but analysing structures, positional changes and individual performances has merit.

Not sure today is as close to the gameplan or personnel we will see in round 1 as some might believe.
Kemp won’t play forward if Harry is fit and I think it’s highly unlikely that we take a 6/6/6 approach into round 1 like we did today.
Backline is fascinating as I don’t think McGovern is anything but the third man up interceptor. Williams and Saad will have licence to run … the potential to be exposed remains significant.
Not sure where any of Docherty, Newman, Plowman, Williamson, Newnes fit for round 1?
Great signs from Cripps, Pittonet, JSOS, Kennedy, O’Brien among others.

• Missing our 2AA players
  • Did we expect to show our full hand (gameplan, etc) in the pre-season?
  • Sounds like coaches played around to assess positioning... they clawed back... we responded.. can't complain. Good lesson for the team... play one quarter the new gameplan, play another the old one... see which one works better... get buy in.
  • A win against StKilda whether a practice match is necessary to help restore the natural order of things as they should be.

Why the ordinary 2nd quarter? Does it appear to those who witnessed game believe that Voss has rectified the "run on of unanswered goals" of last year?

Sequence of disgraceful turnovers combined with inaccuracy on our end - was nothing to do with coaching.
Q1 & Q3 we played on at all costs, developing handpass chains and overlaps.

Q2 we chipped it around, playing kick to kick.

Was a very clear distinction to me.

Either the players lost their way in Q2 or the coaches tried out a different game plan. Possibly the Saints just put us off our rhythm...

Not sure today is as close to the gameplan or personnel we will see in round 1 as some might believe.
Kemp won’t play forward if Harry is fit and I think it’s highly unlikely that we take a 6/6/6 approach into round 1 like we did today.
Backline is fascinating as I don’t think McGovern is anything but the third man up interceptor. Williams and Saad will have licence to run … the potential to be exposed remains significant.
Not sure where any of Docherty, Newman, Plowman, Williamson, Newnes fit for round 1?
Great signs from Cripps, Pittonet, JSOS, Kennedy, O’Brien among others.
I think the biggest thing today shows is that we can begin to have an expectation that any 22 can get the job done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back