2nds Carlton v West Coast Eagles 26/06/11 where does it stand in our history?

Remove this Banner Ad

Steady on.

Carlton aren't that good. If they're the third-best side in the comp, it just goes to show how quickly it falls away after the top 2. Compare this current Blues outfit to Adelaide or St Kilda in 2005-06. Or to Geelong or the Bulldogs last year. Lot of holes in that Carlton team.

People talk about the 2006 comeback against Geelong. That's fair enough. But Geelong finished 10th that year, so we really should never have been 50-odd points down.

From 2006, I fondly recall belting Adelaide by 82 points in R17. The Crows were top of the table, 14-2, and people were ready to hand them the flag. They were flying and, despite sitting 2nd, we had been pretty patchy.

But we came out and smashed them. No one saw it coming, certainly not to the tune of 82 points. Cousins absolutely blitzed them. It left the Crows broken inside and set us on the path to the flag.

Other great H&A wins include beating Footscray at a muddy Western Oval in R22 in 1988 to secure our first finals berth.

In 1991, we beat Hawthorn by 82 points at Princes Park. Smashed them that day.

In 1992, we beat Essendon by 75 points at the MCG. Suma kicked 11.8. In 1999, we beat Essendon by 74 points at Subi. They kicked 3 goals. In that vein, there was also a Friday night game against Essendon at the MCG in 1998. In greasy conditions, Peter Matera kicked 7 of our 11 goals, including a freakish inside-out banana from the boundary, and we got home by 11 points after trailing by 10 at the last change.

In 2002, we beat Brisbane by 46 points at Subi. Gardiner destroyed them. In 2003, we beat Brisbane by 69 points at the GABBA. Judd kicked 5 in the first half and Cousins had a day out.

Does holding off this flawed Blues outfit really compare?

You're right Ian, it was a very good win but I can recall many better.
Welcome to big footy and I'm wrapped with you're user name, I'm a Subi supporter and Dargie was a pleasure to watch, tough as nails.:thumbsu:

No way it's the best since 2006.

Bulldogs at Etihad in 09 was easily better

Voted moment #12 of the Eagles top 25.:thumbsu:

Obviously a top-shelf win considering where we were at 12 months ago however let's not get carried away and say it's one for the history books. You can never definitively classify a win as historical unless you know how you will go in a month's time.

E.g. we lose a majority of our matches from now on and finish 9th (god forbid), then people will remember the win as the time we peaked and then went on to pull an Essendon. On the other hand, if we continue this hot form then it will definitely be remembered as a turning point in our season ;)

Not taking anything away from the boys though, an incredible victory on the day and I just hope we can sustain this form for the rest of the year.

Up there in terms of emotion - I'm still high over it - as it had been quite awhile since we had a good win like that over a top team away, and coming from where we were last year - yep, right up there for emotion.

Aside from our Premierships, the 05 and in particular 06 Prelim Finals are up there, as is the come-back game against Geelong (06), and the come-back game against the Bullies in 1997 at the WACA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back