Preview Carlton vs Essendon, MCG, Saturday 12/05/18 @ 2:10 PM

Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't understand the selections.

Why do we have so many HB flankers/small defenders in our side? Is it so that we can kick backwards more? Our midfield cops a bathing and an injury forces one out without replacing him. We have Langford and Clarke that we can play in the midfield. So we wilfully go in undermanned in the area of the ground we struggle in the most? What's the logic?

Our structure is just a mess at the moment.

How is the weather in Melbourne this morning?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Surely we don't want to win this ?
That's exactly what we want to happen and that's exactly why we want to lose this game.
Can't make finals so hoping for a high draft pick. Time to tank as we have been doing for last 3 games.
I don't understand this.
What do you guys honestly believe will happen if we lose this? What can be gained?

If our coaches aren't willing to adapt to how the game is currently being played, then a loss to Carlton won't change that.
If our players aren't already fired up heading into this match, then a loss to Carlton won't change that.
If we aren't playing the kids already, then a loss to Carlton won't change that.

A loss to Carlton will only confirm that our players don't care, which means that we will be screwed for a long time coming. Might lead to exacerbate our losing culture. I doubt many of our younger players would want to stick around at the end of the year if that's the case.

Losing today may actually have a detrimental effect on us long term. A resounding win might give us a chance.
I don't think you'll be getting what you hope for if we lose.

Last edited:
Haven't seen the supporter base turn as much as they have in my time. It seems that everyone at EFC is running with self preservation, Coach, players, board.

There are not enough leaders to stand up and willing to accept our situation and the only way to move forward is to take a few steps back and take some risks. No one has the courage to do that and put their head on the chopping block.

A loss today would be crisis and job losses. A win papers over the cracks for a week until the inevitable crisis. Why delay? There is something seriously wrong and we need to fix it asap.

Don't mean to crash this thread but I have been telling my bombers mates this all week. A win is almost guaranteed (and looking at the talent on your list, if it clicks, a 5 goal win shouldn't be out of the question). But once all is said and done, you will beat the bottom of the ladder team sitting on about 64%. It won't fix any problems but just keep the hounds quiet for 1 more week...
Same issues will still be there and that is you have a poor coach and coaching group and no leadership. This is all my opinion obviously, but the genuine opinions of a rival supporter who watches all games closely and sees when the chips are down, no one is willing to drag the team back up.
Anyway, the loser of this game will cop it this next week and, unfortunately for us, we don't really deserve what we will inevitably cop from the asshats in the media due to our rebuild/reset... Good luck guys/gals!
Don't worry mate because we totally deserve it and I reckon the pain train will be running on the cragieburn line tomorrow

Don't mean to crash this thread but I have been telling my bombers mates this all week. A win is almost guaranteed (and looking at the talent on your list, if it clicks, a 5 goal win shouldn't be out of the question). But once all is said and done, you will beat the bottom of the ladder team sitting on about 64%. It won't fix any problems but just keep the hounds quiet for 1 more week...
Same issues will still be there and that is you have a poor coach and coaching group and no leadership. This is all my opinion obviously, but the genuine opinions of a rival supporter who watches all games closely and sees when the chips are down, no one is willing to drag the team back up.
Anyway, the loser of this game will cop it this next week and, unfortunately for us, we don't really deserve what we will inevitably cop from the asshats in the media due to our rebuild/reset... Good luck guys/gals!
Your comments re leadership/coaching are completely fair. However, I honestly think Carlton wins. I also honestly think a loss here is better for us, as it will force worsfold's hand in making changes now and making example of senior players not playing their team roles. We win, we probably don't see it until the bye.

A loss today would be crisis and job losses. A win papers over the cracks for a week until the inevitable crisis. Why delay? There is something seriously wrong and we need to fix it asap.
Why are you so confident that is actually the case, Kelvin?

We have been losing these sort of games for a very long time and we have been crap for a very long time. It's not as if us losing all of these games we should be winning has helped us since 2003 or wherever you want to draw the line.

To me it seems the whole mentality might as well be called for what it really is, which is advocating tanking - and this hasn't exactly been a raging success for those who've done it.

A lot of things need to change but I don't think it's going to hinge on whether we beat Carlton or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some people more influential than someone on this website will realise how s**t we are and get rid of every coach and the entire board.
Okay so how realistic do you think that is?

We've already been smashed in the media. To quote Myers:

"I couldn't care less to be honest (about) what's being said outside our four walls,"

"Good thing about most of us, me in particular, [is that] I don't read anything and I don't watch anything (about footy)."

Okay so how realistic do you think that is?

We've already been smashed in the media. To quote Myers:

"I couldn't care less to be honest (about) what's being said outside our four walls,"

"Good thing about most of us, me in particular, [is that] I don't read anything and I don't watch anything (about footy)."

Well good, if the players don't pay any attention to the media they won't be fired up and will lose just like they need to.

Why are you so confident that is actually the case, Kelvin?

We have been losing these sort of games for a very long time and we have been crap for a very long time. It's not as if us losing all of these games we should be winning has helped us since 2003 or wherever you want to draw the line.

To me it seems the whole mentality might as well be called for what it really is, which is advocating tanking - and this hasn't exactly been a raging success for those who've done it.

A lot of things need to change but I don't think it's going to hinge on whether we beat Carlton or not.

Media blowtorch is about 6 at the moment. In the last week it has ramped up significantly. A loss today would see it go to 10 and everyone with a bone to pick against EFC or Worsfold will be coming out having their say.

We succumb and capitulate to that kind of pressure.

We've wheeled out Shaun McKernan again. I'm staggered he's still on the list yet we can't find a matchup for a kid like Ridley.

We have drafted these kids because we thought could play AFL. If we don't give them games then why draft em in the first place. Carlton is relatively young so there will be plenty of matchups for our kids.

It so insulting to the supporter base to talk playing youth and to talk about players being dropped not playing the Essendon way yet the only changes we make are due to injury.

I don't understand this.
What do you guys honestly believe will happen if we lose this? What can be gained?

If our coaches aren't willing to adapt to how the game is currently being played, then a loss to Carlton won't change that.
If our players aren't already fired up heading into this match, then a loss to Carlton won't change that.
If we aren't playing the kids already, then a loss to Carlton won't change that.

A loss to Carlton will only confirm that our players don't care, which means that we will be screwed for a long time coming. Might lead to exacerbate our losing culture. I doubt many of our younger players would want to stick around at the end of the year if that's the case.

Losing today may actually have a detrimental effect on us long term. A resounding win might give us a chance.
I don't think you'll be getting what you hope for if we lose.
Heppell and others spoke of VFL players getting a run based on form. There have been 5 standouts including Redman, Clarke, Langford, Long, Ridley.

The selectors ignore all of them and bring in McKernan for his 20th chance to prove himself. Guelfi gets 2 games and is dropped immediately after showing more than half the established players.

Then we watch Collingwood thrash Adelaide with the 19yo BOG. Then we watch Swans beat Hawks with BOG a 19yo.

All of the top sides in the ladder are playing these guys.

Why do we persevere with guys who are disposing at < 30% efficiency, are plodders that won't chase, argue with each other, won't stand up for the team (all about themselves).

We have guys averaging less than 8 possessions still getting a game.

Perhaps the coaching staff are worried that Dons will be branded as being in the rebuilding stage like Mick Malthouse. It is not rebuilding in our case, it is playing the guys that are in best form.

Richmond, Hawthorn, Swans, Cats, Pies have all rebuilt and continue to do so. Older Swans players last night said that the young guys increased their energy levels and they were excited to play with them.

Last edited:
Your comments re leadership/coaching are completely fair. However, I honestly think Carlton wins. I also honestly think a loss here is better for us, as it will force worsfold's hand in making changes now and making example of senior players not playing their team roles. We win, we probably don't see it until the bye.

I'll be totally honest- I see a win for the blues boosting the kids' confidence but does sweet FA for our season overall. We will get better over time, but this year or even next year is just getting more development time into the kids.

A win for the bombers just masks the issues currently at hand. I had your mob tipped to finish top 8, possibly top 4 with some luck before the season started. Currently though, I'm finding it hard to see the bombers finishing anything above 12th! Your next month and a half is TOUGH!

Either way, what a drastic fall from grace for both our clubs. I'm not too knowledgeable on your list, but i'm happy knowing that in a few years we will HOPEFULLY climb back up the ladder with this constant youth we are bringing in to the team. Surely it has to work by playing kids eventually... Right?!?

I suppose the feeling i have is exasperation.
I just dont understand the logic our coaching staff/selection committee are using.

It cant be on form. Langford, Clarke, Redman and Ridley have been in great touch at VFL level, Guelfi has shown a bit at senior level and there are an assortment of players in the firsts (BJ, Myers, Baguley etc) who are stinking it up.

It cant be defensive. Against hawthorn we had 9 players combine for 4 tackles. Clarke, Langford and Ridley have had more than that each for the last fortnight per game.

Woosha says he doesnt want to play too much youth at once. There are 3 players selected this week who have played less than 30 games. One is 26yo (McNeice) leaving two players under 50 games. Richmond won a grand final last year with 6 in the team. Tonight Hawthorn and Sydney both played with more than 3 in their team and are now both in the top 5 teams in the comp

It cant be because we think we are a flag chance with our current squad. Look at our form, surely the younger guys cant do much worse.

I just dont get it. Why dont we want to play the kids and see what they have to offer
My only summation can be the club promised the world over pre season and cant be seen to be giving up on that too soon ala Norf in 2016. I truly hope that isnt the case as it is putting perception over substance. The hallmark of our past decade.

So i just dont understand. I am just. Well
Exasperated.

This is the only real explanation as far as I'm concerned.

I'd sack anyone involved in making such a decision, without hesitation.

It's kinda bizarre we were prepared to pump games into Begley when he wasn't getting a kick but aren't prepared to give a kid a good long burn. Surely Guelfi showed a lot more than Begs in just his 2 games. I'm happy for them not to play the likes of Ridley if they don't think he has the size (never stopped us with Gleeson) but so many clubs are blooding young half backs and it paying massive dividends.

I don't want people on here to complain about players like Ronke after his match winning effort. Kids we blood won't have that impact in such a basket case. But it's time to get them in, give them actual roles. Make Clarke the main option in midfield set ups, give Mutch run with roles. Don't just play them. Force them to have a real impact, give them the chance to step up.

Heppell and others spoke of VFL players getting a run based on form. There have been 5 standouts including Redman, Clarke, Langford, Long, Ridley.

The selectors ignore all of them and bring in McKernan for his 20th chance to prove himself. Guelfi gets 2 games and is dropped immediately after showing more than half the established players.

Then we watch Collingwood thrash Adelaide with the 19yo BOG. Then we watch Swans beat Hawks with BOG a 19yo.

All of the top sides in the ladder are playing these guys.

Why do we persevere with guys who are disposing at < 30% efficiency, are plodders that won't chase, argue with each other, won't stand up for the team (all about themselves).

We have guys averaging less than 8 possessions still getting a game.

Perhaps the coaching staff are worried that Dons will be branded as being in the rebuilding stage like Mick Malthouse. It is not rebuilding in our case, it is playing the guys that are in best form.

Richmond, Hawthorn, Swans, Cats, Pies have all rebuilt and continue to do so. Older Swans players last night said that the young guys increased their energy levels and they were excited to play with them.
I'm not arguing the fact that we should be playing our youngsters. However, I don't see how a loss today will change that considering our next 3 games are against Geelong, GWS and Richmond, 3 of the top 4 of last year.

If Langford, Clarke, Redman, Long and Ridley aren't getting a game against Carlton, then they certainly won't get it in the next couple of weeks.

Hoping for something to happen doesn't mean that it will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back