Unofficial Preview Carlton vs Fremantle(The youth cup )

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fyfster

Club Legend
Nov 6, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont
Unknown-1.jpeg

Looking forward to this game , Sure it is a game between 13th and 18th on the ladder but it is so much more than that.
It is a game between two sides with a focus on rebuilding and youth.
So while many people are talking about the obvious key match ups such as.

7142444-3x2-940x627.jpg

VS

nat_fyfe-getty-628.jpg

Sure these two guys will have a big bearing on the result , Both have been freshened up by a week off for different reasons , Cripps in particular looked in desperate need of the rest and probably should not have played against Sydney.

But i would prefer to focus on match ups like like

PaddyDowteeth200.jpg
VS CERRA Adam.png

Both sides have some exciting young talent Carlton Have Dow , Petrevski - Seton and Fisher all doing good things.
Fremantle Have Cerra , Brayshaw ,Cox , Giro and Banfield .
All showing they belong at Afl level , With Cerra and Cox not only showing they belong at the level but Starring last week.
Will Cerra and Cox be able to back up those games i certainly hope so if they do it will go a long way towards us winning the game.

Last time we met.

Fremantle won by 35 points , On a very wet day . ironically the best three players for Carlton were Docherty, Murphy and Gibbs.

Our last five against Carlton gives us a 4-1 advantage , Three of the victories have been in Perth , Our last victory against them in Melbourne was in our grand final year 2013 by 36 points.

Prediction
There are many around town saying we will lose this game because our road form this year has been poor , But our opposition on the road has been fairly strong , Collingwood and Richmond at the G , Port at home and GWS at manuka .
All appear tougher assignments than Carlton.
Having said that Carlton's form in their last two before the bye were competitive losses so we need to be at our best or we will lose and then the critics will then justifiably say we can't win on the road .
I am predicting Fremantle by 10 points
Because our youth is better

Heads up for Melbourne-based members - the annual pre-game function is before the game. Not that it helps me, thanks to my friend deciding to have a 40th at the same time out in the Yarra Valley

I think if Sandi, Fyfe and Neale at a absolute minimum nullify Kruzer, Cripps & Curnow then the game is half won.

Freo by 22

Heads up for Melbourne-based members - the annual pre-game function is before the game. Not that it helps me, thanks to my friend deciding to have a 40th at the same time out in the Yarra Valley
Junior plays in the morning, so we'll get home & then walk down to Etihad.
Pretty sure we'll get some GA tix pretty easily.

Should win simply because our experienced core is better than theirs but wouldn't be shocked by a loss. Us coming off an uplifting win (and potential complacency) + our shockingly bad away form vs a Carlton team coming off a weeks rest that would have really set themselves for this game.

I'm not confident at all. Travel off a six day break in young legs to play on a shitty ground against a rested team = trouble.
Having said that the team we are going to put on the park, especially Sandi-Apeness combo at last, is going to be exciting.

Going off of our away record this year i'm not confident at all. I think the week off for Fyfe as crap as it is may be a blessing in disguise however as it gave him a bit of time to rest which is what im sure is a sore body. If we can bring our intensity that we brought against Adelaide we will comfortably role Carlton but as i mentioned our away form has not even remotely gotten close to our home form.

I'm 50/50 on this one. Coming off the bye is traditionally not favourable but neither is the 6 day break.

Our experienced players are better but so many of them are missing. With both Hills and Sonny I would tip us every time. Without them and given our terrible road form I think the Blues eek out their 2nd win by under 10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do think when a young team gets on a roll they usually play really well for 3-4 games, so hoping we can continue on from the weekend (plus last quarter against Collingwood was good).
Also, Fyfe & Sandi rested should be in top flight.
Dockers by 16.

Thank god they didn't schedule the pre-game function for afterwards, that would have really ****ed me up

Thank god they didn't schedule the pre-game function for afterwards, that would have really ****** me up
what if was during the game tho?

"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING NAT, YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE ON THE GROUND!"

For:
  • traditionally play pretty well at Etihad
  • coming off a win so confidence is up
  • some really handy potential ins
  • playing the bottom team
  • not played on a Friday night so Carlton may not realise when the game is
  • [EDIT] it's Cap'n Nat's 150th, so he gets the keys to Cockburn (WATER SLIDES FOR LIFE, FAM!)
Against:
  • travel
  • six day turnaround vs rested team
  • Carlton see this as a winnable game so will put in a bit extra
  • some unfortunate outs
  • don't have me to shout support at them (actually that could go in both For & Against)
  • game will start in the morning WA time, hope we've had our Weet-bix

Freo by 5 points, Brayshaw RS nom (Cerra will get it in round 15 vs Brisvegas)

Last edited:
I'm not confident at all. Travel off a six day break in young legs to play on a shitty ground against a rested team = trouble.
Having said that the team we are going to put on the park, especially Sandi-Apeness combo at last, is going to be exciting.

Also have to factor in a possible emotional comedown after Sunday's great win plus with the bye looming the holiday mindset could kick in early. Hopefully we can tap into Fyfe's 150th for inspiration even if it's not the most feted milestone.

I am looking forward to see how we go at Etihad though, it's a great venue (and opponent) to showcase any progression made to our fwd setup. Would love to see Cox back up his breakout game with another bag of goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back