Preview Carlton vs Richmond, Round 1, MCG, 17 March 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s been a while since Carlton beat Richmond, especially in round 1.

giphy.gif

But if you believe the hype, the Blues are still coming.

download.jpg

The below picture surprises me because there are no spelling mistakes.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399033676.206988.jpg

For once, these two teams won't open the season.
Let's delve a little deeper into this round 1 bye...I mean clash.

PERSONELL
Carlton
The Blues will miss Sam Walsh. He's an out and out star.
Good news for all footy fans is that Sam Docherty will play after a battle with testicular cancer. I think we all don't mind seeing him fit and healthy again.
Liam Stocker, Josh Honey and Caleb Marchbank are all nursing injuries in what looks like a pretty healthy list overall.

Richmond
No 9 draft pick Josh Gibcus will debut.
Kane Lambert is likely to miss a large chunk, if not all, of the season while Jack Graham won't be fit for round 1.
Co-skipper Dylan Grimes is making a last ditch bid to be fit while Toby Nankervis has the spicy cough, but gets out of isolation the day before the game and is available.
Nick Vlastuin looks set to miss.

MATCH UPS
If Grimes doesn't come up, it puts a massive weight onto the shoulders of Gibcus who would have to stand one of McKay or Curnow. However, he is recovering quickly from a hand injury and is expected to line up.
Noah Balta has been playing up forward, but he may need to be ready to race back to the defensive 50 if need be.
Trent Cotchin looks like he has a new lease on footy life and Patrick Cripps finally looks to have shaken off all those niggles. Both midfielders could spend a fair chunk of time in each other's presence.

NEW FACES
Carlton has added another overpriced hack back flanker in George Hewett to compliment the other dud half backs in Adam Saad and Zac Williams.
Adam Cerra will slot nicely into the midfield because there is no room on the half back flank.
Michael Voss is the new face of the Carlton Football Club.

images.jpg

As noted earlier, Josh Gibcus will debut for Richmond as will Robbie Tarrant while mastercoach David Teague will debut as a Richmond assistant after leading Carlton to their most successful period in 15 years.

E9dFdprVEAEdkiU.jpg

WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
David King: "I think Richmond will make a statement on Thursday. Carlton turned the ball over 95 times against Melbourne, who are finding their way back into it. "If they turn it over 95 times against the Tigers, they'll lose by 15 goals. No one punishes like Richmond."

download (1).jpg

WHO WINS?
According to Carlton fans, the wait is finally over.
And to be fair, there is reason for at least some form optimism at Paper Bag Oval.
David King to be the prophet: Richmond by 90 points.

Last edited:

YeOldTiger

67-69-73-74-80-17-19-20
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers, Glenelg Tigers
B: Balta Tarrant Grimes
HB: Short Broad D.Rioli
C: Ross Cotchin Pickett
HF: Bolton Baker Edwards
F: Lynch Soldo Riewoldt
R: Nankervis Martin Prestia
INT: Gibcus Castagna Aarts Graham
EMG: Ralphsmith Mansell Dow Parker
Pleased Pickett is in...would have preferred Ralph got a start but Aarts is being given first crack it seems. Go Tiges !

Soldo for the coleman - need to check what odds I can get.

Only half joking - I dont mind him deep at the top of the goal square - a handful of times v Hawks we kicked it long to him and he drew one free kick and could have been paid a couple of others.
Will not get out-marked and ball will spill with Baker, Bolton and Edwards swooping in....

YeOldTiger

67-69-73-74-80-17-19-20
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers, Glenelg Tigers
How bizarre that after spending the whole preseason training as a forward, we've moved Balta to the backline again for round 1.

Very tall back there with Tarrant, Balta, Grimes, Gibcus and Broad.

We might see a fair bit of time up forward for Nank and Soldo.
Doubt very much thats how we will line up. Balta in the back pocket ?? Lol

He'll play forward as long as Grimes plays.

Apr 30, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
FFS- Aarts??????? Can't believe he's getting a game before stack or RalphSmith. Playing Graham is a massive mistake I reckon he hasn't played 2 mins Gametime all preseason. The bloose are better by their kids getting more experienced and their brown paper bag recruits. Hope we don't lose it at the selection table. Even Parker as an emergency he's not even suburban footballer standard. Looks like Baltas gonna need to kick about 6 since we're carrying the 2 witches hats fAarts and Cantstandya up forward.

daftmike

Senior List
Mar 12, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
How bizarre that after spending the whole preseason training as a forward, we've moved Balta to the backline again for round 1.

Very tall back there with Tarrant, Balta, Grimes, Gibcus and Broad.

We might see a fair bit of time up forward for Nank and Soldo.
obviously hardwick & co taking the piss. Balta is obviously playing forward. were not lining up with a defence of broad, gibcus, tarrant, grimes and balta. way too tall. its a pisstake. obivously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back